Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
In one impossible request. How is it possible to absolutely rule out no deal? Its an impossible negotiating position to say you can't walk away from the table.

I see that Vince Cable has said he won't vote with Labour on any future no confidence votes now. So the lib dems at least seem more enraged with labour.

Maybe Vince fancies a bit more austerity enabling.

One more time, ‘no deal’ is not on the table to leverage the EU. They don’t especially care what form of self harm our Govt wishes to choose. They can simply mop up the opportunities we leave behind.

No deal is about leveraging the scared public to demand their MPs vote for May’s deal. It needs euthanasing so people, like EU citizens here, can get on with their lives.

Maybe Vince fancies a bit more austerity enabling.

One more time, ‘no deal’ is not on the table to leverage the EU. They don’t especially care what form of self harm our Govt wishes to choose. They can simply mop up the opportunities we leave behind.

No deal is about leveraging the scared public to demand their MPs vote for May’s deal. It needs euthanasing so people, like EU citizens here, can get on with their lives.
No Deal would cause immense problems in EU countries other than the UK. The EU really doesn't want it to happen either, and will do a lot to stop it (but not something that threatens the longer-term aim of the European project). The EU doesn't want the UK to leave.

I see Yvette Cooper and Hillary Benn have met with May. They're not bothered about No Deal being off the table then?

No deal is about leveraging the scared public to demand their MPs vote for May’s deal.
If you’ve got the time and inclination, you should study what your MP wants on Brexit, then write to them demanding they do one of the things they don’t want. Or write something confusing about why what they want is against some other principles that they hold. Or tell them that everyone you know is split evenly into thirds on what you think the three options are.

My MP signed the “hard Brexit” “ransom note” letter a year ago, then voted for May’s deal this week. I’m going to write and tell him that as a Remain voter, I think this was exactly the right thing for him to do.

I'd have a lot more respect for Corbyn at this point if he said as much instead of pretending he could somehow conjure up a better deal between now and March. Bearing in mind even if May called a general elction tomorrow it wouldn't actually happen for another six weeks, after which Prime Minister Corbyn would have all of ten working days to get a deal together and get it agreed by the EU and parliament.

Surely the no deal demand is aimed squarely at the DUP and ERG? I think the aim is quite accurate since the HoC is going to go all out to stop a no deal, thus the split of the DUP and ERG from May seems pretty nailed on.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

If you’ve got the time and inclination, you should study what your MP wants on Brexit, then write to them demanding they do one of the things they don’t want. Or write something confusing about why what they want is against some other principles that they hold. Or tell them that everyone you know is split evenly into thirds on what you think the three options are.

My MP signed the “hard Brexit” “ransom note” letter a year ago, then voted for May’s deal this week. I’m going to write and tell him that as a Remain voter, I think this was exactly the right thing for him to do.
Lol, in what I think was an inspired move (if I say so myself), I praised him for supporting the Northern Ireland backstop, allowing a "separate regulatory regime for Northern Ireland", which I know he was uncomfortable about, as a Unionist worried about the precedent it sets for Scotland.

May as well find out what the next labour leader is thinking

They've gone to see her, not the other way around. And in doing so they've shown themselves to be cut from a different cloth to the unreasonable wrecker Corbyn. Neither side is actually interested in what the other thinks about Brexit...it's a side show to 'bigger' party political concerns.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

A tory schism is obviously a dream Brexit. There is a route to it but it looks rather arduous and unlikely but, we're allowed to dream.

There won't be s Tory split.

Maybe, just maybe, a handful might chuck their toys out the pram. But the internal bickering of the last half a century or so over Europe will just rumble on

Could have gone in Tory Death spiral/civil war thread, but might as well go here...even by recent standards, the language is pretty direct. I know it's the Telegraph but, even so....sounds a bit schismy.

View attachment 159004
The tory party is behaving like the participants in the trans v terf war at the Bookfair, expressed in the language of 1930s Stalinism, with a light dusting of Anabaptists persecution. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom