Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
I didn't say all the charter rights were covered elsewhere, some of them are drawn from the convention, some from the social chapter and some from other places. But everything in the convention is in the human rights act. Your right to family life is therefore protected whatever happens. Educate yourself, wookey

Do I believe you, or Amnesty International??

Such choices.

I don't expect you to believe my concerns for Human Rights (especially LGBT rights) under Brexit - you're a cynical Simon and I'm a stranger on the interwebs.

Would you listen to Stonewall perhaps?
Why don't you listen to this; 185 years ago Britian outlawed slavery in the empire. 70 years ago Germany was busy gassing 6 million civilians.

No one needs any fucking lessons from you on human rights, you stupid muppet.

Don't believe me, believe your own comparison of article 7 of the charter and article 8 of the convention

The point is that the Charter is the key to unlocking EU Human Rights Law, which will be adopted by the UK. Losing it leaves LGBT people open to abuse from any future UK government, and that's not acceptable to people who have been historically oppressed by the UK Government.

"It should be inconceivable that a democratic legislature would vote to take away rights, but leaving those arguments of principle to one side for a moment, with the loss of the Charter goes rights that don’t exist in the Human Rights Act or common law. Gone is the enforceable right to human dignity. We also say farewell to express rights to data protection, comprehensive protection for the rights of the child, refugee rights, the right to conscientious objection, academic freedom and wide-ranging fair trial rights to name but a few. And, I haven’t even started on economic and social rights." Oxford Human Rights Hub

In terms of right to family life, we will lose the express mention of LGBT people - which leaves the UK law open to interpretation.

We've seen elsewhere in the world where specific mention of LGBT people has been used to protect our rights, and also where no mention of LGBT people has allowed judges to interpret the protection in a way that doesn't cover LGBT people.

"Losing (the Charter) creates a human rights hole because the Charter provides some rights and judicial remedies that have no clear equivalents in UK law." - Equality Human Rights

Reactions: CRI
Why don't you listen to this; 185 years ago Britian outlawed slavery in the empire. 70 years ago Germany was busy gassing 6 million civilians.

75 years ago Britain presided over famine in India. 170 years ago Britain presided over the Irish famine. What's your point, that Britain's better than Germany?

OK.

Twenty-eight years ago it was illegal for me to have sex with a third person in the room, in private.

Twenty-four years ago, I was considered a sex criminal by the UK state, for having underage consensual sex with my male partner. He, aged 22, was considered a statutory rapist.

Twenty-two years ago, I was told by the Prime Minister that I had no right to assume a family life, and no inalienable right to be gay.

Twenty years ago I was still banned from joining the Armed Forces like my dad had done, and his dad before him.

Eighteen years ago I was banned from having a civil partnership, or adopting children.

Five years ago I was still banned from getting married.

The rights I have came to me during my lifetime, and I believe in the risk they could be taken away in my lifetime too.

I imagine none of this concerns you, and why should it, you reek of privilege.

But don't lecture me on human rights in the UK, when we had to riot and protest and march and organise to prise ours from the fingers of the powers that be.

OK.

Twenty-eight years ago it was illegal for me to have sex with a third person in the room, in private.

Twenty-four years ago, I was considered a sex criminal by the UK state, for having underage consensual sex with my male partner. He, aged 22, was considered a statutory rapist.

Twenty-two years ago, I was told by the Prime Minister that I had no right to assume a family life, and no inalienable right to be gay.

Twenty years ago I was still banned from joining the Armed Forces like my dad had done, and his dad before him.

Eighteen years ago I was banned from having a civil partnership, or adopting children.

Five years ago I was still banned from getting married.

The rights I have came to me during my lifetime, and I believe in the risk they could be taken away in my lifetime too.

I imagine none of this concerns you, and why should it, you reek of privilege.

But don't lecture me on human rights in the UK, when we had to riot and protest and march and organise to prise ours from the fingers of the powers that be.
'Each new generation must win its rights anew'

To misquote Arthur Miller (or was it Ronald Reagan?)

It is easy to forget that and to take stuff for granted, but the likes of Trump and now Bolsonaro are a reminder of what can happen. I'm amazed, tbh, by how many people seem positively enthusiastic about the UK leaving the ECJ. Strikes me as supreme arrogance or foolishness or probably both to think that we will be better protected by a smaller jurisdiction. Many matters need to be devolved down as far as possible, but things like fundamental human rights need to be devolved as high as possible. And that should be celebrated when it happens - the whole of the EU, 27 countries, has adopted these legal rights. That's an achievement not to be carelessly tossed away.

'Each new generation must win its rights anew'

To misquote Arthur Miller (or was it Ronald Reagan?)

It is easy to forget that and to take stuff for granted, but the likes of Trump and now Bolsonaro are a reminder of what can happen. I'm amazed, tbh, by how many people seem positively enthusiastic about the UK leaving the ECJ. Strikes me as supreme arrogance or foolishness or probably both to think that we will be better protected by a smaller jurisdiction. Many matters need to be devolved down as far as possible, but things like fundamental human rights need to be devolved as high as possible. And that should be celebrated when it happens - the whole of the EU, 27 countries, has adopted these legal rights. That's an achievement not to be carelessly tossed away.

You know you can only go to the ECJ after you've been through the domestic court system right? Unless you're taking an EU institution to court?

Back
Top Bottom