Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
There is one glaringly obvious solution that could sort all of this easily. But if I suggest it then you'll accuse me of telling a sovereign country what to do. I'll leave that elephant in that room and just close that door. It can only be opened by the people of the UK .
Oooh, go on, don't be a tease...

tbf the elephant is an immigrant, so it must be the leave voters that wanted it to suffer, cos racist.

You're making a racist assumption that the elephant is an immigrant, whereas in fact it was born here after its forbears arrived here perfectly legally from the former British Empire.

The elephant in the room is as British as you or I, and need not fear for its status post-Brexit.

You're making a racist assumption that the elephant is an immigrant, whereas in fact it was born here after its forbears arrived here perfectly legally from the former British Empire.

The elephant in the room is as British as you or I, and need not fear for its status post-Brexit.

If you go back far enough I bet there were elephants stamping around here long before us puny humans!

Nelly is a very British name I guess.

mammoths.

But that sounds Welsh :hmm:

So what was the DUP rationale for supporting Brexit? Do they want the re-introduction of a hard border? Surely even the most ardent unionist 'business leaders' in the north don't want that? Did they consider that NI might end up being treated differently to the rest of the UK? Did they consider Brexit might increase the popularity of reunification with the Republic?

It just seems to me the status quo would suit the DUP most so what am I missing?

So what was the DUP rationale for supporting Brexit? Do they want the re-introduction of a hard border? Surely even the most ardent unionist 'business leaders' in the north don't want that? Did they consider that NI might end up being treated differently to the rest of the UK? Did they consider Brexit might increase the popularity of reunification with the Republic?

It just seems to me the status quo would suit the DUP most so what am I missing?
A couple of reasons one they got a lot of cash for it google dark money and dup, secondly the Uk leaving the eu makes cross border institutions as enshrined in the gfa more difficult. Their reasoning is that brexit would have put the question of a border poll back into the long grass. They recognise the demographic change in the north and want to at least prolong the union by any means possible.

It’s back fired on them as certain sections of the unionist middle class are re thinking their relationship to the union, the farmers are deserting as brexit without the back stop really fucks them and lastly the most important section of unionism the Protestant working class have for years become distrustful of the big house or fur coat brigade. Not to the extent that they support Irish reunification but some, a small number though growing are agnostic about it.

Lastly their pig headedness have in some way mobilised the catholic middle class to assert their nationalist aspirations much more assertively.

A couple of reasons one they got a lot of cash for it google dark money and dup, secondly the Uk leaving the eu makes cross border institutions as enshrined in the gfa more difficult. Their reasoning is that brexit would have put the question of a border poll back into the long grass.

It’s back fired on them as certain sections of the unionist middle class are re thinking their relationship to the union, the farmers are deserting as brexit without the back stop really fucks them and lastly the most important section of unionism the Protestant working class have for years become distrustful of the big house or fur coat brigade. Not to the extent that they support Irish reunification but some, a small number though growing are agnostic about it.

Love it :D

Anyway I'll save you the time. Article seven of the charter is in essence the same as article eight of the convention. Perhaps you could tell me again precisely which family life rights you think you might lose

I don't expect you to believe my concerns for Human Rights (especially LGBT rights) under Brexit - you're a cynical Simon and I'm a stranger on the interwebs.

Would you listen to Stonewall perhaps?

What about the Human Rights Commission?

Human Rights Watch?

Amnesty International??

They've all expressed grave concern over the loss of the Charter rights which, contrary to what you claim, are NOT replicated elsewhere in UK law. In fact, the Charter is as far as I know the ONLY international treaty to cover the UK that expressly mentions LGBT people.

Have a read and educate yourself.
Why is no one talking about the Brexit threat to LGBT rights?
Human Right Watch: Will Human Rights Still Be Protected After UK Brexit?
Brexit Bill leaves hole in UK Human Rights
Oxford Human Rights Hub: The fate of the Charter of Fundamental Human Rights in UK law after Brexit is sealed
Equality Human Rights Commission: What does Brexit mean for Equality and Human Rights in the UK?
Equality Human Rights Commission: Brexit and the EU Charter of Fundamental Human Rights: Our Concerns
New Statesman: The unacceptable side of Brexit: MPs must save the EU Charter on Fundamental Human Rights
Amnesty International: Withdrawal Bill is a Bleak Day for Human Rights

Reactions: CRI
I don't expect you to believe my concerns for Human Rights (especially LGBT rights) under Brexit - you're a cynical Simon and I'm a stranger on the interwebs.

Would you listen to Stonewall perhaps?

What about the Human Rights Commission?

Human Rights Watch?

Amnesty International??

They've all expressed grave concern over the loss of the Charter rights which, contrary to what you claim, are NOT replicated elsewhere in UK law. In fact, the Charter is as far as I know the ONLY international treaty to cover the UK that expressly mentions LGBT people.

Have a read and educate yourself.
Why is no one talking about the Brexit threat to LGBT rights?
Human Right Watch: Will Human Rights Still Be Protected After UK Brexit?
Brexit Bill leaves hole in UK Human Rights
Oxford Human Rights Hub: The fate of the Charter of Fundamental Human Rights in UK law after Brexit is sealed
Equality Human Rights Commission: What does Brexit mean for Equality and Human Rights in the UK?
Equality Human Rights Commission: Brexit and the EU Charter of Fundamental Human Rights: Our Concerns
New Statesman: The unacceptable side of Brexit: MPs must save the EU Charter on Fundamental Human Rights
Amnesty International: Withdrawal Bill is a Bleak Day for Human Rights
I didn't say all the charter rights were covered elsewhere, some of them are drawn from the convention, some from the social chapter and some from other places. But everything in the convention is in the human rights act. Your right to family life is therefore protected whatever happens. Educate yourself, wookey

Back
Top Bottom