Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inside No 9......

I'm watching this on iPlayer, don't know which ones people are referring too. Favourites of this season are the hotel one I forget the name of and Hurry UP and Wait, in that order.

But I agree, it didn't need the comic German characature.

I love Inside No 9 but I think this series has been the weakest overall. I’m still really enjoying it but it feels a little bit tired. I can’t think of episodes I would go back to again and again in the way I have done with other series.

Maybe I missed all the references cos episode 1 was my least favourite and i found it slightly tedious.

Less keen on the hotel story. I didn’t buy either of the principal characters. Sheersmith’s interruptions didn’t help either. His character belonged to a different story.

I think they were going for a tonal misdirection. Hinting at a more comedy (rom com?) direction that it seemed to be going in. I actually thought Sheersmith brightened it up a bit. I liked the Hurry Up and Wait episode as well depsite it's flaws for similar reasons. Over egged characters.

The Sheersmith twist was obvious from the second he recounted the story, as they know doubt intended, but the ‘main’ twist was a complete surprise. Excellent stuff.

Derek Jacobi's potty mouth was the highlight of the series for me so far! Never heard him effing and jeffing so much before; I bet he enjoyed it.

Mmm… for me this last episode was the weakest of this or perhaps all seasons so far.
Definitely. I found some of the Proms info surprisingly interesting and the Abigails Party aspects were sufficiently cringe inducing. But the main story and twist were weak.

The podcasts interesting. The episode was filmed before and during lockdown, with a ten month gap between the two. Some of the books are in a different order and Sarah Parish says her bum got bigger.

Just watched How Do You Plead and I loved it! Maybe I've lost any critical sense - I don't know. I love what they do and Derek Jacobi was marvellous. I thought it was great.
I’ll be interested to know what you think of the final episode. I think it’s shaping up to be a Marmite episode even among fans of the series.

I couldn't take to this series, which I find upsetting, as I love everything else they've done.

There were several nice little bits but overwhelmingly meh. It was 50 yards to the shore, what nutter would stay in the boat for hours rather than swim to shore?

The last two or three seasons have produced some good episodes, but I keep fearing it is becoming a case of diminishing returns with every passing season.

A bit unfair in a way, as they’re still original, thought-provoking and well written unique tales-something 98% of all recurring TV series could only dream of. But not as brilliant as the early stuff.

I never got on with League Of Gentlemen.

Is this similar but more so?
No, this is a completely different beast. Basically a kind-of Black Mirror anthology series, but the episodes are shorter and most tend to have a good dose of dark humour built in- even though the themes are often dark.

Each season has six episodes and some of them are markedly better than others, but even the worst ones are perfectly watchable, and for the most part range from pretty good to actually bloody brilliant.

Do a search online for the best episodes and start with those if in doubt. As they’re unrelated individual stories it doesn’t matter what order you watch them. You won’t regret it. I can think of at least 6-8 that are really, really fucking good and a must-watch.

Back
Top Bottom