Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inside No 9......

I watched and enjoyed both last night. As mentioned, they’re getting a bit hit and miss now. But even the weaker ones are still great.

Was the pedalo episode the first to feature Mark Gatiss?

A Quiet Night In is still one of my favourites :D
Yes - this was the first appearance of Mark Gattis.
They had been trying to get him for some time but Gattis was obviously busy with his own projects.

I never got on with League Of Gentlemen.

Is this similar but more so?

What others have said, but just note that it's very varied. It can be straight comedy that tilts towards League of Gentlemen but it could also be touching real life drama or pitch black dark horror and sometimes you don't know which one it is until your well into the episode. The quality also varies greatly I think. There's weak episodes in every series but also some of the best television you might ever watch like as others have mentioned 12 days of Christine. I won't mention my favourites because a lot of the fun is discovering the gems by surprise.

Yeah, a very small number of them are mostly comedic, but most are generally dark, whether veering towards drama, horror, or fucked up subjects. The Wedding Photographer episode in particular I found really hard to watch.

But for most of the others, even when it ends up badly for the main characters, the stories are so good you don’t mind. And sometimes the premise and/or twist is just fantastic. Or just the acting and writing. The episode narrated backwards in 10 minute instalments, the one about the crossword writer, A Quiet Night In, or the Call Centre one to name but a few are fantastic. And as a light relief, the Shakespeare homage in the hotel or Sardines are just so watchable.

What others have said, but just note that it's very varied. It can be straight comedy that tilts towards League of Gentlemen but it could also be touching real life drama or pitch black dark horror and sometimes you don't know which one it is until your well into the episode. The quality also varies greatly I think. There's weak episodes in every series but also some of the best television you might ever watch like as others have mentioned 12 days of Christine. I won't mention my favourites because a lot of the fun is discovering the gems by surprise.
Yeah this is well put. I was a latecomer to no.9 and I went back to watch the earlier series. Ended up watching all of them. They're all on iPlayer. It's worth just starting on series 1 and working through.

Yeah this is well put. I was a latecomer to no.9 and I went back to watch the earlier series. Ended up watching all of them. They're all on iPlayer. It's worth just starting on series 1 and working through.
I would recommend anyone who'd never seen it just starting at the beginning. It doesn't really matter what order you watch them in but I just think it's nice to watch how the thing has developed.

A very good episode this week I thought, not necessarily vintage in the overall series hall of fame, but easily the best of S7 so far.

After finishing it I decided to pick and rewatch one episode from past seasons that I’ve only watched once and didn’t think that much of. I settled on The Bill, and I can’t remember why the fuck I didn’t get into it the first time round, because it’s fucking brilliant, and has instantly made its way to my top ten list :)

This isn’t much like League Of Gentleman.

edit: seemed like a nice bit of heisty fun. No idea how it compares to the others.

Last edited:
This isn’t much like League Of Gentleman.

edit: seemed like a nice bit of heisty fun. No idea how it compares to the others.

I'd say it's a weak episode* but nevertheless fairly typical of the humour and the twists** (I think this one over did the twists) and it hints at how dark the series can go on occasion. There's a handful where they really go there.

*Still thought it was a lot of fun.

**Every episode has at least one twist - it's the show's thing.

Not sure where this one ranks in the pantheon. It was enjoyable but felt contrived. I don't usually like Sheersmith's acting (Pemberton is by far the better actor imo), but I did like his turn as the self-obsessed hedge funder. Also I like the fact that they give themselves bit parts sometimes. They are generous like that.

So: seems 12 Days Of Christine and A Quiet Night In come highly recommended.

Any others? :)

Just looking on IPlayer and there are way more episodes than I expected.

So: seems 12 Days Of Christine and A Quiet Night In come highly recommended.

Any others? :)

Just looking on IPlayer and there are way more episodes than I expected.
Yes, plenty for me even if some of them might not enjoy as universal approval ratings among fans.

The Understudy is brilliant as a drama storytelling, Then you get the devilishly clever ones like Cold Comfort or The Riddle of the Sphinx. Then there are the lighter tone comedic ones like Zanzibar, which is a very funny retelling of A Comedy of Errors, or Once Removed, which is not only funny but ingeniously told backwards in 10 minute chunks. Give those a try.

Cheers. I just watched A Quiet Night In which was great. Will give those others a look. Just on Tom and Gerri at the moment.

…edit: which was also great

… edit2: Sardines: nice payoff - seemed aimless for a bit then went v. dark v. fast

edit3: really glad I gave this a chance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom