Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inside No 9......

I wouldn’t be surprised if this first episode of S6 might prove to be a bit Marmite, but I really enjoyed it :)

A stronger start than last season. I believe this series requires at least one lighter, comedy-leaning story per season, and this one more than did the job.

Genuinely funny at places as well. At least three of lines made us lough out loud.

Haven't watched the new one yet but my 12yo has just discovered Inside No.9 and is working his way through on iPlayer. Last night he watched The Harrowing before bed, and ended up getting into bed with us at 1am because he was scared :D <3
The Wedding Photographer is not horror, but is particularly grim, and dark as fuck. Though justice is served at the end.

T'was all very meta, composed of 90% recycled sly winks and very much up it's own arse, but I think that's precisely the sort of silliness and punnitude they were aiming for. Always a pleasure to see Paterson Joseph giving good bastard :D

I've never heard the Chicago one before, but the Jamaica swerve gave me a genuine laugh-out-loud moment that scared the cat.

Absolutely loved this week's one. I've enjoyed the last 2 but this one ticked all my boxes for Inside No9.

The first one, although not my favourite, had that quality of "where else do you see anything like this?" It reminded me of Zanzibar in that respect.

The second one was classic darkness but this week - such a great claustrophobic set up with mutiple payoffs. I love this show.

Absolutely loved this week's one. I've enjoyed the last 2 but this one ticked all my boxes for Inside No9.

The first one, although not my favourite, had that quality of "where else do you see anything like this?" It reminded me of Zanzibar in that respect.

The second one was classic darkness but this week - such a great claustrophobic set up with mutiple payoffs. I love this show.
Proper performance-driven, well written stuff you devour every line of dialogue off. If they were making these as small production theatre plays as opposed to television, they would scoop every industry award going.

I thought this week's was a bit flat. The stuff with Adrian Dunbar was all very "Extras" and the twist was not that great.
Excellent perfomances from Mrs Doyle and the daughter though.
Yes, I thought the strength of this eoisode was in the performances rather than the story.

I’ve just caught up with the series so far. The first one was bloody cheeky. Detailed and lovingly written “second year drama degree” content, which - as a drama graduate I appreciated, but... it’s niche.

Obviously there were a bunch of pop culture references too, but even still, the commedia stuff was pivotal. Including the punchline.

The fanfic story was pretty standard stuff, and the plot was telegraphed pretty heavily. However, I did like it a lot.

Less keen on the hotel story. I didn’t buy either of the principal characters. Sheersmith’s interruptions didn’t help either. His character belonged to a different story.

The most recent story with the cop drama, was great misdirection. Agree the Adrian Dunbar stuff was a bit obvious, but perhaps it needed development. The production assistant was weirdly set up to be important but was ultimately undeveloped.

Less keen on the hotel story. I didn’t buy either of the principal characters. Sheersmith’s interruptions didn’t help either. His character belonged to a different story.
Totally agree with your last bit. In fact, they could easily just have written him out of the story altogether. But I don't agree with the first bit. I thought Pemberton was believable as the obsessive jilted man, while the lipreader was a bit Mike Leigh caricature, which then made perfect sense with the twist - she was playing a Mike Leigh caricature.

In the podcast they made the point that the German hotelier was necessary as comic relief, they felt it would have been too serious without him.

I’ve just caught up with the series so far. The first one was bloody cheeky. Detailed and lovingly written “second year drama degree” content, which - as a drama graduate I appreciated, but... it’s niche.

Obviously there were a bunch of pop culture references too, but even still, the commedia stuff was pivotal. Including the punchline.

I reckon the crossover between 9 viewers and those who saw One Man Two Guvnors is significant enough for them to get away with it.
I reckon the crossover between 9 viewers and those who saw One Man Two Guvnors is significant enough for them to get away with it.

Pemberton and Sheersmith?
Fraid so. Sheersmith just took a shit centre stage for me. It just wasn’t funny, it was just lazy. The phone call part, that was funny, even if there were no reason for her to make that call. But sheersmith just took me out of the moment and made me notice various plot holes which just undermined the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom