Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Indicating- can you resolve this debate for us please?

Yep. Not necessarily shit planning, if you haven't driven the route before, you can get caught out. Trying to cut across lanes in heavy traffic is plain stupid.

You should always have done enough route planning to know which motorway junction you need at the very least. And they give you several miles' warning when a junction is coming up.

You should always have done enough route planning to know which motorway junction you need at the very least. And they give you several miles' warning when a junction is coming up.

My last long run was Calais to Venice. A wee bit difficult to keep the junctions in mind over that distance. :)

Ive been doing it for two years now and i can see it in myself, the creeping idea that I'm really a brilliant diver, just because i haven't fucked up yet. Its absolute bollocks though and I think its making me worse at driving, this idea that I'm really great at it.
Go and join the League Of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen's Motor Carriage Guild or whatever they're called now (IAM RoadSmart I think) and someone with a briefcase and no other hobbies will heckle this idea out of you in short order. Although if you survive about a year of that, some ex-cop who's probably exceeded his 'shot dead' quota will assess you and tell you you're great again.

I think I am a marginally above-average driver, but only marginally. Which is why I am quite careful to drive sensibly and safely, although I am a little prone to driving too quickly sometimes. So far, I'd say I've done OK, with two minor prangs in 35 years of driving, one of which was someone reversing into me in a motorway service station :hmm:

ETA: I think I'd want everyone on the road to at least think they were a competent driver, otherwise what are they doing driving? Occasionally you'll hear someone saying "oh, I don't like turning right, so I go around the block", or "I can't reverse"...and I wonder what other skills they may be lacking that they don't know they haven't got? Anticipating problems, or hazard perception, for example?

I worked with a BMW driving colleague who would neither turn right willingly, or drive on motorways.

Thank God I don't drive the same bits of road as you.

That response is not only rude, it is beyond fucking stupid. Read and learn.

I don't regard myself as a superb driver, merely a competent one. I became competent by learning, not by being rude to someone who is suggesting that they there may be things that you can learn to keep you safe.

There’s some right old bollocks being posted on this thread :D
I have this image of them driving green Montegos at 60mph on the motorway, and shaking their heads in a disapproving manner, whilst mumbling to themselves "it's not my job to accommodate you." when someone wants to join the motorway from a slip road.

If people never indicated to signify intent, then if I'm overtaking in the middle lane and the right lane is free, I won't know to move into the right-hand lane in order to allow us both the overtake simultaneously and that seems like an obvious waste of having three lanes (obviously you can often anticipate this in advance but you'd don't always know someone wants to overtake until they, ahem, indicate their desire to do so).

P.S. I think I'm an average driver. I'm not terrible, but I also think I'm sufficiently average to need to take a lot of care and I certainly don't think I'm good enough at driving that I can defy the known laws of physics.

How would someone know this?
I feel like there are all these rules that other people know but didn’t tell me.
It may mean that the lorry driver hasn't seen you but is pulling out to avoid something ahead in which case it would be dangerous for you to try and overtake at the same time.

7. Multi-lane carriageways (133 to 143)

Lane discipline​

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

So you should indicate to show what you intend to do - but then essentially, wait till someone lets you in.

For whoever's changing lanes though, not waiting so that someone behind has to brake is not OK.
Rule 103 says : "Remember that signalling does not give you priority."

Actually the very first pararaph (at least online) says:

1. Overview
This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

That's pretty unambiguous IMO :D

People who are convinced that they are very outstandingly excellent drivers (this is about 97% of men) , can you explain what evidence you base that conviction on?

I'm a good driver. Part of that is knowing I'm not infallible and therefore that applies to every other driver too.

I've driven more than half a million miles and never been involved in an accident with another car. Every time I get in my car, I know that record is at stake.

Isn’t the median driver involved in half an accident in their lifetime? So if someone doesn’t have an accident, that’s more likely to be due to luck than driving ability.

Isn’t the median driver involved in half an accident in their lifetime? So if someone doesn’t have an accident, that’s more likely to be due to luck than driving ability.
So accidents are no more likely to happen to poor drivers than good ones?

I thought you had me on ignore?

But yes, of course some luck is involved. I'm not infallible means I make mistakes. And over more than half a million miles, I've made a few. But there comes a point where after so many miles in all conditions and across continents that it maybe isn't just luck. The point I was making is that it's not just ability. It's attitude.

Highway Code:

2. Signals (103 to 106)​

Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (download ‘Signals to other road users’), of your intended actions. You should always
  • give clear signals in plenty of time, having checked it is not misleading to signal at that time
  • use them to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off
  • cancel them after use
  • make sure your signals will not confuse others. If, for instance, you want to stop after a side road, do not signal until you are passing the road. If you signal earlier it may give the impression that you intend to turn into the road. Your brake lights will warn traffic behind you that you are slowing down
  • use an arm signal to emphasise or reinforce your signal if necessary. Remember that signalling does not give you priority.
You should also
  • watch out for signals given by other road users and proceed only when you are satisfied that it is safe
  • be aware that an indicator on another vehicle may not have been cancelled.

I have this image of them driving green Montegos at 60mph on the motorway, and shaking their heads in a disapproving manner, whilst mumbling to themselves "it's not my job to accommodate you." when someone wants to join the motorway from a slip road.

Driving gloves, Panama hat on the parcel shelf, next to the box of tissues.

Driving gloves, Panama hat on the parcel shelf, next to the box of tissues.

And somehow it's always 1963 and there's little other traffic on the road as everyone drives perfectly.

You drive the conditions (that's also in the HC I think) not by exact laws that the vast majority of other drivers are ignoring.

Some people who need to pull out are assholes who have no real consideration for you, others have a genuine need and are trying to warn you - as indication should.

Undoubtedly some people use the indicator as a request (or in cuntish cases, demand) to be allowed to change lanes. I still much prefer them to those who don’t indicate at all because they judge their driving skills sufficient to change lanes right in front of you if the minimum required gap is available, so they just go and do it.

And somehow it's always 1963 and there's little other traffic on the road as everyone drives perfectly.

You drive the conditions (that's also in the HC I think) not by exact laws that the vast majority of other drivers are ignoring.

Some people who need to pull out are assholes who have no real consideration for you, others have a genuine need and are trying to warn you - as indication should.

Another instance I can think of is moving over to let someone on at a junction. That's time-sensitive so I can see the usefulness of an 'intent' signal there. But again, if I'm in the right hand lane going past a junction I should be aware than anyone in the left hand lane may need to move over at short notice, and plan accordingly. I asked about this on another thread here, but as a general rule I wouldn't overtake while going past a joining slip road, for that very reason. Some people seem to have similar ideas, some people don't give a fuck and will happily box you in when you need to let someone else join ahead of you.

Aye, IME drivers only seem to look for other cars and lorries, not bikes or pedestrians
As a biker, whether a cyclist or motorcyclist, you tend to pay the most attention to pedestrians, due to the Russian Roulette lemming behaviour a disturbing proportion of peds employ in heavy traffic conditions.

I firmly believe the more types of road user anyone has been, the more sensible and safer they behave. As a ped, I always check for two wheelers in the middle of the road when crossing in stationary traffic. As a cyclist, I never undertake motor vehicles. As a biker travelling quite legally in the middle of the road in traffic jam conditions, I always assume a ped might materialise from behind a lorry without bothering to look right for bikes, or that a car driver decides on impulse to do a U-turn without indicating or checking their mirror. As a car driver I always assume morons around me on foot, two wheels or four are going to behave illegally or unpredictably.

I'm a good driver. Part of that is knowing I'm not infallible and therefore that applies to every other driver too.

I've driven more than half a million miles and never been involved in an accident with another car. Every time I get in my car, I know that record is at stake.

This is exactly how I think too. I was taught to drive by an army driving instructor.
I can literally hear his voice every time I set off to drive.

I don't even turn on the radio when driving because I'm acutely aware that I am in control of a deadly machine. And that my concentration and alertness are very important.

Not sure it's mathematically possible for the median driver to be involved in half an accident.

Back
Top Bottom