Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fined for returning a Zipcar to its designated spot in a restricted street- how is this right?

What happened with this T & P ?
Well my angle for an appeal was the possibility that local residents might be exempt from the restriction, and therefore the Zipcar in question might also be, but the council wrote (very quickly to their credit) to say that it was not.

The letter still managed to get their facts wrong though, as it claimed I would have been better off entering the street from the unrestricted end anyway as it was a shorter distance to the Zipcar parking spot, when it was blatant bollocks. Literally a 15-metre journey from the roundabout to the spot if entering through the restricted end, or over half a mile journey to drive to the far end of the street to enter it through the ‘approved’ end and then drive along its entire length to reach the parking spot.

Last edited:
Well my angle for an appeal was the possibility that local residents might be exempt from the restriction, and therefore the Zipcar in question might also be, but the council wrote (very quickly to their credit) to say that it was not.

The letter still managed to get their facts wrong though, as it claimed I would have been better off entering the street from the unrestricted end anyway as it was a shorter distance to the Zipcar parking spot, when it was blatant bollocks. Literally a 15-metre journey from the roundabout to the spot if entering through the restricted end, or over half a mile journey to drive to the far end of the street to enter it through the ‘approved’ end and then drive along its entire length to reach the parking spot.

So you didn't complain to Zipcar?

I'm currently having a bit of fun with Westminster. Two tickets (the same alleged contravention on consecutive days) which I've appealed, and they won't stand a chance with at a tribunal. Despite that, I've received a rejection of my first appeal, with a stock reply that it's my responsibility to check the parking restrictions. This completely ignores the grounds of my appeal, which was that the signage and road markings were either incorrect or unclear.

They try to bully you into paying the reduced amount by saying that if you don't, and want to take the appeal further, you'll have to pay the increased amount if you lose. I don't care about that though because I'm clearly arguing with a fucking idiot, so happy to take it all the way.

I'm currently having a bit of fun with Westminster. Two tickets (the same alleged contravention on consecutive days) which I've appealed, and they won't stand a chance with at a tribunal. Despite that, I've received a rejection of my first appeal, with a stock reply that it's my responsibility to check the parking restrictions. This completely ignores the grounds of my appeal, which was that the signage and road markings were either incorrect or unclear.

They try to bully you into paying the reduced amount by saying that if you don't, and want to take the appeal further, you'll have to pay the increased amount if you lose. I don't care about that though because I'm clearly arguing with a fucking idiot, so happy to take it all the way.
Tbh you're just happy arguing

Tbh you're just happy arguing

Especially with morons.

I have a 100% success rate of getting tickets overturned at (or before) tribunals.

Most of the time councils back down before the case gets there. I once had Camden phone me on the morning of the scheduled hearing to tell me not to bother going as they were cancelling the ticket. They had bizarrely tried to argue that I wasn't loading on Tottenham Court Road, despite me producing time-stamped receipts from the shop I was loading from.

Tribunals are online now, so I'm looking forward to telling Westminster that they are being "wholly unreasonable", and as such I will be requesting a costs award from the adjudicator. That often brings the matter to a close.

Zipcar weren't interested and simply directed me to the local council's traffic regulations page.

Good luck with that. I too have succeeded in having a ticket overturned at the courts.

Back
Top Bottom