Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Indicating- can you resolve this debate for us please?

As a pedestrian I find most drivers seem to indicate as they are turning a corner rather than before the turning so you don't know they are turning in till they beep you & you point at their indicator and shout 'fucking indicate then'

Yes, that is bad driving, both to the pedestrian, and the following traffic.

By doing what you feel is 'right' (even if you are following the HC) when this is not observed by other road users is dangerous.

The driver who is out of the pattern is the one who causes the accident. I've been taught defensive driving, and conforming to the pattern is a large part of that.

If the urban traffic stream is doing 38, would you try and drive at 30?
Tell that to the smart motorway speed cameras, they disagree

Someone should do a thread about whether you should always indicate, that's a good one to summon the angry zealots.

Oh yeah and anyone who, on their own, touches the brake pedal on a motorway should have to justify their actions in a People's Court.
So genius, what do you do to indicate to the car behind that you are slowing? Semaphore?

Or are you one of those dangerous idiots who slow down, without signalling that you are doing so?

You know when you are on the motorway and a vehicle ahead indicates to show they want you to make way for them to pull out, whether or not there is currently space... is that okay?

I maintain no. That you should only indicate when you have space and are actually going to pull into the next lane.

The man says it’s perfectly fine and gives other vehicles the chance to move over to let you.

Am I right or is he right?

You are right. End of.

All these other arseholes talking about "what most people do" are missing the point. Most people are fucking twats who can't follow a simple rule. As evidenced by this thread.

See also: cunts who can't understand that it's a Give Way situation when you are coming down a slip road onto a motorway. No, no-one has to let you out.

You are right. End of.

All these other arseholes talking about "what most people do" are missing the point. Most people are fucking twats who can't follow a simple rule. As evidenced by this thread.

See also: cunts who can't understand that it's a Give Way situation when you are coming down a slip road onto a motorway. No, no-one has to let you out.
Courtesy, which you seem to be a little short of, dictates that if you can, you let the other vehicle join the motorway.

That’s exactly his argument. That due to how heavy the traffic is here you have to do indicate even when there’s no space. But it freaks me out, cos I think what if they’ve not seen me, and it’s not always possible to move over!
You know if they've seen you - you'll either see them fall back as they slow down, or they may even (also illegally) give you a flash of the headlights or wave you over.

I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone just move out, until you're certain that the vehicle behind is making space. Which, TBF, they usually do.

Why not? If you do it every time you turn, then you’ll never get out of the habit and forget to
As explained, the idea (of some experts) is that you are supposed to look properly each time and identify whether anyone is at any risk from what you're doing, and will therefore benefit from your indication. If you look and there isn't anyone there, you don't need to indicate. You would probably lose points on an advanced driving exam for indicating with no one there as it demonstrates unthinking behaviour.

The counter-argument is that you might look and still miss something and somehow that person would have benefited from your indication. There is a little bit of merit to this.

I don't have much of an opinion either way. People get into big fights about this and I enjoy watching them kicking each other to death about it. Sat in my car in an empty field with my hazards on.

So genius, what do you do to indicate to the car behind that you are slowing? Semaphore?

Or are you one of those dangerous idiots who slow down, without signalling that you are doing so?
Why would you ever need to significantly slow down on a motorway unless everyone was slowing down or you had fucked up somehow?

You know if they've seen you - you'll either see them fall back as they slow down, or they may even (also illegally) give you a flash of the headlights or wave you over.

I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone just move out, until you're certain that the vehicle behind is making space. Which, TBF, they usually do.
No I mean, when you are approaching to pass a car on your left, and they start indicating right. They want you to pull over, but you can’t always safely do so. It occurs to me, maybe they haven’t seen me and are indicating because they are about to pull into me!

You are right. End of.

Ah, you're one of those drivers.

No I mean, when you are approaching to pass a car on your left, and they start indicating right. They want you to pull over, but you can’t always safely do so.
If you're overtaking someone, they can wait until you've passed.

As explained, the idea (of some experts) is that you are supposed to look properly each time and identify whether anyone is at any risk from what you're doing, and will therefore benefit from your indication. If you look and there isn't anyone there, you don't need to indicate. You would probably lose points on an advanced driving exam for indicating with no one there as it demonstrates unthinking behaviour.

The counter-argument is that you might look and still miss something and somehow that person would have benefited from your indication. There is a little bit of merit to this.

I don't have much of an opinion either way. People get into big fights about this and I enjoy watching them kicking each other to death about it. Sat in my car in an empty field with my hazards on.

That is true in this country, in Germany, changing lane without indicating will get you a ticket.

It is good practice to get into the habit of always indicating.

It's not something I'd bother getting into a fight about, but the only occasion I'd consider not indicating is if I'm changing lane on an empty motorway - even then I'd probably do it though tbf. Because however well you've observed your surroundings, there's always bits you might miss.

I don't understand this, are you suggesting that every time you slow down your car you need to do it by using the brakes, is that what you're saying?

Why would you ever need to significantly slow down on a motorway unless everyone was slowing down or you had fucked up somehow?

For many reasons. The car in front of you slowing markedly, observing someone trying to get out, because you seed a situation developing in front of you etc.

I do. I look for bikes and people and dogs and deer and squirrels.
You seem to be a vanishing rarity. It often happens at T junctions, esp when the car is moving off after a red light goes green. People seem to think that if they’re turning in the direction most people turn in then they don’t need to bother

Who will catch you if there's no one there?

Obviously I haven't put it simply enough for you.

Get into the habit of always using your indicator, because if you use it selectively, it leaves the possibility of not using it when you should have.

This thread makes me glad that a lot of the respondents are not 'driving' anywhere near me. :)

For many reasons. The car in front of you slowing markedly, observing someone trying to get out, because you seed a situation developing in front of you etc.
The first one of these is not you braking on your own and the rest are probably bad planning on your part. If not I'm sure you will be able to justify your use of the Forbidden Pedal in the People's Court and it's the other road user(s) that will be sentenced to death instead.

It's not something I'd bother getting into a fight about, but the only occasion I'd consider not indicating is if I'm changing lane on an empty motorway - even then I'd probably do it though tbf. Because however well you've observed your surroundings, there's always bits you might miss.

There are lots of situations where you shouldn't indicate - if your indication might be misinterpreted for example. Another reason not to make it a habit.

I don't understand this, are you suggesting that every time you slow down your car you need to do it by using the brakes, is that what you're saying?
Dear Lord! That is exactly the opposite of what I am saying. If you can achieve the slowing you need by lifting your foot, you don't need to use the brakes. By not using the brakes, unless you 'blip' your brake lights, the person behind has less time to realise you are slowing.

I always appreciate the person in front giving me as much notice as possible that they are slowing down.

Dear Lord! That is exactly the opposite of what I am saying. If you can achieve the slowing you need by lifting your foot, you don't need to use the brakes. By not using the brakes, unless you 'blip' your brake lights, the person behind has less time to realise you are slowing.
Shouldn't have pulled in right in front of them and slowed down then, should you?

Death please, move him to the chair.

Back
Top Bottom