Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Indicating- can you resolve this debate for us please?

For those suggesting that people entering a motorway from a slip road should stop/give way before entering the motorway, here's an outlandish idea*... Anybody who is still sat in the inside lane on a motorway, when a vehicle is entering the motorway from a slip road, should be banned from driving until they learn how to drive. If you're incapable of spotting a slip road, and noticing there's a vehicle traversing it that will soon be entering the motorway, and subsequently make room for them to enter the motorway safely, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of any vehicle.

*It's not even (shouldn't be) slightly outlandish. Motorway slip roads are for accelerating, to match motorway speeds. You're not supposed to stop and/or give way (OK, you might have to give way, if you met some of the people on this thread) at the end of it, that would cause mayhem. Those already on the motorway should have reacted to your presence well in advance, and if you can't see this, you shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Last edited:
I would only describe myself as an driver of average skill. I’ve been driving for 12k miles a year for 15 years or so, with motorway use at least 3 times a week. I don’t like driving fast (80+) but I do like to drive properly.

I like to think I am good at being aware and anticipating eg at junctions / services, and vacating the slow lane for joining traffic, changing lane when lorries pull out to overtake.

The number of drivers I go past on a quiet motorway, I am in the slow lane happily doing 70mph, while they’re sitting oblivious in the middle lane at 60mph is illustrative about the driving standard in this country. I am not referring to “undertaking” not passing on the near side which I believe is allowable.

I often wonder if there is an ego thing with a lot of drivers in that they won’t drive in the slow lane at all?

I would only describe myself as an driver of average skill. I’ve been driving for 12k miles a year for 15 years or so, with motorway use at least 3 times a week. I don’t like driving fast (80+) but I do like to drive properly.

I like to think I am good at being aware and anticipating eg at junctions / services, and vacating the slow lane for joining traffic, changing lane when lorries pull out to overtake.

The number of drivers I go past on a quiet motorway, I am in the slow lane happily doing 70mph, while they’re sitting oblivious in the middle lane at 60mph is illustrative about the driving standard in this country. I am not referring to “undertaking” not passing on the near side which I believe is allowable.

I often wonder if there is an ego thing with a lot of drivers in that they won’t drive in the slow lane at all?
For quite a few people, the idea of driving in the "slow lane" is a personal affront. I've been driven by such people, and the superiority comes off them in waves. And they're often the kind of driver that has me making dents in the passenger footwell as I try to control the car on their behalf :)

I think driving tests need to parallel motorbike tests in that you get to drive bigger, more powerful cars as you pass other tests.

You should be obliged to do additional training for motorways too. In this day and age they are crowded and, depending on where and when, can be fast and intimidating.

In theory as things currently stand you can pass your test in a Toyota Aygo, then get into a Bugatti Veyron and go round the M25 in the rush hour. This urgently needs addressing. (Yes I know it is unlikely in real life, but the possibility is there)

I think driving tests need to parallel motorbike tests in that you get to drive bigger, more powerful cars as you pass other tests.

You should be obliged to do additional training for motorways too. In this day and age they are crowded and, depending on where and when, can be fast and intimidating.

In theory as things currently stand you can pass your test in a Toyota Aygo, then get into a Bugatti Veyron and go round the M25 in the rush hour. This urgently needs addressing. (Yes I know it is unlikely in real life, but the possibility is there)
More likely: "you can pass your test in a Toyota Aygo, then get into a Ford Ka and go round the M25 in the rush hour"

Most of the risks are the same, regardless of what you're driving...although yes, there's plenty of cases of people getting into trouble with cars they can't handle. But most roadcraft - and thereby collision avoiding skills - only starts to be learned, if even then, once people have started driving by themselves.

Even so, I think the idea of a graduated test is a good one. Let's face it, any profession where there is risk of doing harm to others usually involves a process of ongoing professional development. I can't see why the same shouldn't apply for many other activities with associated risk, such as driving.

I certainly think that professional drivers should re-accredit on a regular basis, but it would be a good thing to see across the board, especially if concerns arise about someone's driving (eg >2 speeding tickets in a year, or a more serious offence is committed).

For those suggesting that people entering a motorway from a slip road should stop/give way before entering the motorway, here's an outlandish idea*... Anybody who is still sat in the inside lane on a motorway, when a vehicle is entering the motorway from a slip road, should be banned from driving until they learn how to drive. If you're incapable of spotting a slip road, and noticing there's a vehicle traversing it that will soon be entering the motorway, and subsequently make room for them to diverge safely, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of any vehicle.

*It's not even (shouldn't be) slightly outlandish. Motorway slip roads are for accelerating, to match motorway speeds. You're not supposed to stop and/or give way (OK, you might have to give way, if you met some of the people on this thread) at the end of it, that would cause mayhem. Those already on the motorway should have reacted to your presence well in advance, and if you can't see this, you shouldn't be allowed on the road.
Exactly this. Motorways work because everyone is doing roughly the same speed. Those on the motorway already should - if possible - be creating a gap, those on the slip road need to be accelerating to match the speed of traffic in the lane they’re joining.

Most people who slow or stop on entry slip roads don't do it for want of a suitable gap, but because they're incapable of observing and adjusting their speed to enter a suitable gap. They probably don't even look in their mirrors or alongside until they're about to cross the white line.

Back
Top Bottom