Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hurricane Irma

The Fox presenters are nearly in tears as to what is now almost certain to happen which is the near destruction of South Florida. It will be most probably the most destructive natural catastrophe in modern times. God knows what the economic impact will be - but if it is a bad as they are predicting then it could wipe out cities. Trump better step up to the plate on this one.:eek:

The Fox presenters are nearly in tears as to what is now almost certain to happen which is the near destruction of South Florida. It will be most probably the most destructive natural catastrophe in modern times. God knows what the economic impact will be - but if it is a bad as they are predicting then it could wipe out cities. Trump better step up to the plate on this one.:eek:

If they can't spell the name of neighbouring countries such as Turks and Caicos then I have no sympathy

Mar-a-Lago's right in the firing line, every cloud.

HWRF and GFS now, finally, pretty much aligned with ECM. All have the storm running up the middle of Florida and the worst side of the hurricane battering Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach, etc.

The Tangerine Twat will be too busy supervising the rebuilding of Mar-A-Lago to worry about anything as quotidian as disaster relief for the poor.

Mandatory evacuation of Barbuda has been ordered ahead of the arrival of Jose

"Cone of uncertainty" :facepalm::D

Out of curiousity....watching the beeb with the obligatory screwing/ hammering partical board into door/ window frames...why don't these buildings have storm shuttering built in .?..or at least permenant mounts into the structure...?

I would have thought that it would have been a minimum insurance compliance in such an at risk area at the very least ?

Out of curiousity....watching the beeb with the obligatory screwing/ hammering partical board into door/ window frames...why don't these buildings have storm shuttering built in .?..or at least permenant mounts into the structure...?

I would have thought that it would have been a minimum insurance compliance in such an at risk area at the very least ?

I checked the price once on something like that and it was cost prohibitive. So it'll be something you might see on more expensive housing, but not the more modest homes you're likely to see in the at risk areas. In some neighborhoods, the insurance companies have already red-lined the entire neighborhood.

A friend has just arrived in Cuba - I'm astounded they are still allowing people to fly in. They arrived, in Caya Coco, and were immediately evacuated to Valadero. Which seems a bit odd as it is still in the path, and while it may have good shelters in the hotels, its still really flat lying and at risk from a sea surge.

In slightly better news, Ricahrd Branson's home's been destroyed
Branson emerges from wine cellar bunker after Irma 'devastated' his private island

Many of these buildings will have been built prior to modern building standards. Florida only really got its act together in this respect after Andrew devastated the Miami suburbs in 1992.

Of course, many people in Florida and across the Caribbean won't be able to afford shuttering.

Irma is about to test much of Florida's hurricane-proof building work. Since 2001 structures state-wide must be built to withstand 111mph winds. Broward and Miami-Dade counties have a higher standard of 130mph. Critical infrastructure buildings must withstand 156mph.

Of course, Irma may well be faster than that when it makes landfall.

I lived in the Caribbean for years and I've never seen hurricane shutters on on private houses there.

I don't think most of the islands have building regs that encompass possible hurricane force winds. We built our own house and did things like run rebars through the rafters and cast them into the ring beam and also added metal hurricane clips. We have a row of flower blocks just below roof level on either side of the house not only for ventilation but to allow equalization of pressure in case of a hurricane. The pitch on the roof is steep and the roofing sheets held on with bolts that were supposed to withstand winds of 220mph. Fortunately it's not been tested with anything above 110mph so far ...

That's probably about as hurricane proof as most concrete houses are. Wooden houses just get lifted off their bases.

There are still units in my development that don't have their shutters up. Although I've not taken a ride around the community, I'm sure there are a few houses that are the same - people are going to attempt to ride it out or some shit unprepared. I'm finally boarded up. Took a few hours as the gents helping me, helped my neighbours, thus involved me helping too. Everyone bands together in this type of deal and we've got a block of people attempting to stick it out.... for better or for worse, although we all hope for better!

Irma has strengthened again and is back up to cat 5

Katia is expected to make landfall in Mexico on Saturday night

Guy I work with is in Florida on holiday. I spoke to him today, asked if he was alright and did he need money or anything to get home. He said 'Nah, it will be fine. I have always wanted to see a hurricane' :facepalm:

Guy I work with is in Florida on holiday. I spoke to him today, asked if he was alright and did he need money or anything to get home. He said 'Nah, it will be fine. I have always wanted to see a hurricane' :facepalm:

My old boss is in Miami on holiday, due to fly back on Monday. Mandatory evac from his former location, and judging by his recent FB posts he's got about 12 hours left to cover near 350 miles to his newly-booked alternative flight from Atlanta. The roads are rammed and very slow moving. I really don't think he's going to make the flight, but better to get as far as possible I guess.

2hats what is this 'eyewall replacement' about?
In strong cyclones a ring of thunderstorms can form an outer eyewall which gradually contracts stealing moisture and angular momentum from the original inner eyewall thus weakening the system for a time until the storm (often) intensifies with this new eyewall as the focus. This is the eyewall replacement cycle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom