Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hurricane Irma

No idea if this has been posted, not been following the thread, I was watching this live while it was going on, as you were thinking how bad it was it just kept getting more and more intense, if you CBA to watch it all go on to about 20 minutes in.

My dad's elderly brother lives in Florida - 136 miles NNE of Key West in "zone B" - people in "zone A" have been evacuated ...

Hopefully he has an attic ...

View attachment 115351
[View attachment 115353

I'm in Zone A (down the street from Harlem Heights, in the map of the area. frogwoman for your reference - the cows we walked to are 2 blocks away [roughly] from the Heights). There are no attics or basements in Floridian residential buildings. We're built on sand and shells.

How long does it take for the eye to pass?
about an hour apparently ... that seems like a MASSIVE amount of time. Mind you it is a big storm.

Took an hour on the dot to pass and then it started up again in the other direction. We lost power minutes after the eye passed.

To whoever questioned about Naples: Collier County was bad. Marco Island and Naples got the brunt of the storm for the county. Lee County (me) got bad as well, but the main city that got the brunt was Lehigh and North Fort Myers from what I heard.

It's been a rough couple of days. We were getting phone calls and text alerts from the Emergency Management line all afternoon and then into the night on Friday. It wasn't until 9 Friday night went we got a call saying if you haven't gotten out by now, get to a shelter. My cousin's neighbour owns a house across town, and since he is a snowbird, the place is empty. My cousin has a key and the neighbour said "use my house; I'm out of the flood zone". My mum and I got things moved around our house as much as we could Friday night, backed a "go bag" and were picked up Saturday morning by my cousin. You can't bring anything extraneous when you do this... only important papers (insurance information, passports, IDs), money, jewelry (for those who wear it), and "at least 3 days worth of clothes and food". My neighbours decided to wait it out in the unit upstairs from me. They ended up seeking shelter at the hospital down the street Saturday night because one of the blokes took to a panic attack.

Once we got to Joe's on Saturday, everyone settled in and waited for the storm to arrive. The only problem? Joe may not be in a flood zone area, but his house is wide open. No shutters were up...the windows were barren of any type of boarding. He said the glass was hurricane / shatter proof, so we prayed he was right (he's in his 80s). There was nothing we could do - no one we knew in that community to put the shutters up. It takes 3 hours to do, and we didn't have that luxury. So we had to suck it up. We had power that night and it started raining.

Sunday was when the storm started coming. It moved at a snail's pace, and we were following the progression on the news. I had packed my Roku "just in case" we could have access to Internet and wanted to watch Netflix. What the hell, right? The wifi was spotty as hell because Joe doesn't have internet in his house (I was catching a free hotspot signal from one of his neighbours). Nor does he have cable TV. It's a good thing I had my Roku because we were using the ABCNews / CBSNews / NBCNews and local Fox affiliate apps to follow it all. It started getting real windy and rainy and bad around 12:30pm, so we knew something was coming; it'd be only a matter of time. By 2pm, the eye was in Marco Island and making its way towards us. We got white out conditions round 6pm, and by 6:30 it was dead calm. An hour later to the money, storm picked up again and reversed its tracks, going in the opposite direction. We lost power round 7:30, after having power go out intermittently from 4pm onward. Power was restored after midnight as we found out Joe's on the same electrical grid as a fire department.

We didn't get any flooding in Joe's, but we did watch the water rise in the street Sunday night. It didn't recede until 7am Monday - a full 13 hours after we first noticed it. Monday was calm, but a lot of vegetation damage. The lanai cage had screen damage, but that was the extent of harm Joe's house occurred. Fallen trees down his street caused back up, but it was cleared by the afternoon. We were able to take a ride back to my community and it looked like a war zone. No structural damage to any of the houses, but debris and down trees were everywhere. It no longer looks like a Hollywood movie set, frogwoman! Major intersections and parts of the city had no power and still have no power. It was hard trying to drive across town because of the lack of power.

A neighbour called us yesterday morning saying they finally got power restored. So we packed the car up and drove back to my house. My cousin was going back to Joe's because her community still didn't have power, and as I write this, it is still in the dark. She may be across town for a few more days.

We were all so lucky to not be in the major devastation part of the area / state, but the hotels I work in weren't so lucky. One of the Naples hotels had part of their roof collapse and I know Marco Island is looking ugly. My hotel is still without power and based on what it looks like during regular rain storms, I reckon it's going to be a few weeks before it opens back up. So no work this week and most of next week thus far for me.

I plan on copying this onto my blog within the next couple days and adding photos and videos. I'm in the process of getting everything squared up and put together.

Thanks for positive thinking... it could have been a lot worse for the area I'm in as well as other parts of the state. I wish the ones who got it worse than me have an easy time trying to make sense and odds of things. It's hard and it's not fun, but "you can rebuild houses. You can't rebuild your life" (although the death toll is getting up there in places).

Thanks, wiskey. I knew there was shatterproof glass, but didn't realise there was hurricane proof glass able to withstand a category 5 hurricane.

Since the last major cat 5 storm Florida could have a comparison to, was Andrew in 1992, Irma beat all the records. Andrew was devastating to parts of the state, but Irma destroyed everything in her path. The Keys are done - there are areas that won't get back to normal for months, if not over a year. I saw tonight that parts of Bonita will take months to heal as well, and Bonita is roughly 40 minutes south of me. It's closer to Naples and Marco Island, so it's only fitting that they got it bad as well. I haven't heard anything about Sanibel or Captiva just yet, as I've been editing photos all day (deciding which ones I want to upload). I'm curious as to what that area looks like, as it's a one way in and out on a single bridge to both parts of that island. At least Cape Coral has 2 bridges for access, and I'm surprised there's no big talk about them getting flooded out.

It was truly surprising and pure luck that my little section of Fort Myers didn't flood out, given all the talk about the storm surge. Yes, there are areas near me under water (the day care / preschool in Harlem Heights is under water... we're talking a minimal 4 feet by the look of it), but my block is dry right now. With the power still out in most of the city, we are extremely proud things survived the way they did. It'll take a couple months for things to build back up to normal, but longer to get the whole state rebuilt.

abe11825 thanks for the report, and glad you are safe.

The Keys are covered a lot in this round-up of the damage Irma caused in Floria: Hurricane Irma: Keys residents line up at checkpoint - CNN

And, here's a good round-up of damage across the Caribbean Islands: A week after Irma, Caribbean devastation is laid bare - CNN

The first 8 minutes of CNN (7 am GMT) this morning focused on the Caribbean Islands, with a reporter filing a report from the U.S. Virgin Islands, where a week after the event very little in the way help and aid has arrived yet, much like on the other islands. :(

It's going to take years to re-build on many of the islands.

the damage and devastation of the islands that's being revealed is heart breaking. I don't remember feeling this way about a storm but I truly hate Irma. It's like the storm set out to destroy anything beautiful and nice. :mad::(

I have a friend who said that there will need to be a new classification system after this is done; a category 5 is no longer a category 5 due to Irma. There's been no other comparison for all the factors involved in this storm ("Andrew was bad, but this is worse") and it's truly a monster of a storm. There was a really bad one in the 1930s and then 1960s I think I heard, and the are Cracker Houses (whatever that is... barns I think?) that were built in the 1920s, withstood all the strong winds from the one in the 30s. I think they are still standing now?

People are trying to make light of the situation and saying the realtors will have a fun time trying to sell properties now. :hmm:

If this is any reason not to get a tiny house, then so be it! The mobile homes in North Fort Myers are either destroyed structurally or destroyed by being under water. Even some of the mobile homes in my area are under water, but they got that way 2 weeks ago when we had almost a week's worth of hard rain in a matter of 2 days.

e2a: I haven't looked at the new CNN links or any other news, so I don't know if it's been mentioned - in the (beach) communities that have bridge access (Fort Myers Beach, the Keys, Sanibel / Captiva), you have to have gone to your local government office and get a special hurricane resident pass if you are a resident. This is to be used when you get evacuated. You have to get one every time something like this happens; it's not a "get it once and keep it forever" deal because it has to be updated constantly. People move, things happen. So you need to bring a utility bill, state issued ID, passport, and one other thing (I forget what) to prove you live in that city / area. You then get a pass to show a guard at the entrance of the bridge that you live there. Or if any government agent (police, etc) stops you to ask what you are doing, you can prove you are a resident. It is to prevent looting and rioting in the city and try to make clean up easier for the people to live there. I know it sounds like some sort of thing worse than Martial Law, but it's to protect the neighbourhoods. It's not meant to be a bad thing because the cities want their people to be able to get home to a safe place and be able to see what they need to work on / clean up, rather than worry about someone nicking their stuff.

Last edited:
Grower group says Irma caused 50 to 70 percent citrus loss in portions of South Florida

Hurricane Irma caused losses of 50 to 70 percent of Florida's citrus crop in portions of South Florida, according to the Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association.
Oranges and grapefruit were hard hit by the storm, but there also were impacts to fields in the south and central areas where other crops grow, particularly strawberries and tomatoes.

Our local high school sells oranges and grapefruit as a fundraiser. I wonder if they will be selling them this year.

Maybe they'll do the same with the Saffir-Simpson scale as the did with the Fujita Scale for tornadoes...

Maybe...

That doesn't surprise me. We have a local citrus seller down here and they have a farm in Northern Florida. My mum said the shop will be closed until further notice (frogwoman , that's where you bought that wine for your mum and the spices for your dad).

Here's a really sad bit of news coming out of Florida. It looks like most of these 8 deaths were preventable:

For three days, the staff at The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills scrambled to keep residents hydrated and cool after a tree fell onto a transformer that powered the air conditioning system.

By Wednesday, eight of the nursing home's residents had died. The causes of the deaths are under investigation to see if any of them were heat-related, said Raelin Storey, director of public affairs for the City of Hollywood.

"The initial investigation has determined that the facility's air conditioning system was not fully functional," the city of Hollywood, Florida, said in a statement. "Portable A/C units were being used in the facility, but the facility was excessively hot."

Florida nursing home deaths: Investigations underway - CNN

Here's a really sad bit of news coming out of Florida. It looks like most of these 8 deaths were preventable:

Florida nursing home deaths: Investigations underway - CNN

Unless I'm mistaken and there's another nursing home with similar incidents, I heard last night that people are blaming the governor for the deaths. The people I was with, all said there's no way the state governor can be fully blamed for it because it's the nursing home's fault for not checking another floor / wing. The home is the one in charge of its residents; they should have a list of people who are there - what floor they are on, etc. To not check the entire place is on them; not the city or the state. It's a catch 22 in a way, because if they did in fact try to get help and no one came, it's on the city. But if they don't know where every resident is to get the help, it's on the facility.

Back
Top Bottom