Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hurricane Dorian causes huge damage and flooding in the Bahamas, Sept 2019

i can't say for sure but I think it's for real.
"my ideas are just as good as those elite scientists' !"
At least dropping ice into the ocean is much safer (if still useless) than nuking the storm. So he's brighter than the orange fuckwit.

It's stalled over the Bahamas, moving just 12 miles in a day. :(

Eyewitness videos and reports painted a picture of massive and widespread flooding, with panicked families fleeing to their roofs to escape rising floodwaters.

Clint Watson, a journalist based in the capital Nassau, said people in Grand Bahama were being hit with "buckets of rain" and posting videos online showing water rising to the windows of their attics.

Pleas for help as hurricane stalls over Bahamas

Dorian dumped about 1m of rain on Grand Bahama.

EDjkwAFWsAIkhyS.jpg:large

Hard to see how countries like the Bahamas can even continue to exist long term. Add sea level rises to the increasing ferocity of these storms and it doesn't look good at all. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have to contemplate oblivion on that scale :(

Hard to see how countries like the Bahamas can even continue to exist long term. Add sea level rises to the increasing ferocity of these storms and it doesn't look good at all. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have to contemplate oblivion on that scale :(
Dorian was a one off freak so far as the Bahamas was concerned, its track and strength were one in one hundred years at least. Its stalling at that point perhaps rarer still.
Buildings can be built to resist even storms as strong as Dorian, some building codes in places like Maimi Dade stipulate being able to resist certain storm strengths but paying for it in places like the Bahamas is different issue.
We are expecting something between 0.5-1m sea level over the coming 80 years. Some towns will have to move but I do not think that alone would force the abandonment of the whole of those islands.

Dorian was a one off freak so far as the Bahamas was concerned, its track and strength were one in one hundred years at least. Its stalling at that point perhaps rarer still.
Buildings can be built to resist even storms as strong as Dorian, some building codes in places like Maimi Dade stipulate being able to resist certain storm strengths but paying for it in places like the Bahamas is different issue.
We are expecting something between 0.5-1m sea level over the coming 80 years. Some towns will have to move but I do not think that alone would force the abandonment of the whole of those islands.

I hope you're right of course. But I can't help but notice that 'one every hundred years' or 'one every thousand years' events are cropping up two years out of three at the moment.

On Thursday Health Minister Duane Sands warned of a "staggering" final count.

"The public needs to prepare for unimaginable information about the death toll and the human suffering," he told local radio.
Bahamas death toll 'staggering' after hurricane

This storm and its track were terrifying. 30 dead so far and we can hope that is near the total, but a category 5 storm sitting near stationary for 24 hours is close to the worst case imaginable. I fear the final total will only be worked out from the missing rather than the recovered.

Officials say hundreds, possibly thousands, are still missing in the Abacos and Grand Bahama.
Bahamas death toll expected to be 'staggering'

Apparently the hurricane holds the record for the second slowest moving hurricane ever recorded, showing the stall over the Bahamas was near unprecedented together with it being the joint highest winds of any land falling Atlantic hurricane. The destructive power over those islands may have been as great as any storm in recorded history.

i've been transfixed for the past week. hourly updates and everything.

never sure if i've sent contributions into the ether or actually to people in need. ifrc were first to release funds so i went with them...

Back
Top Bottom