Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Heinz beans drops tescos

Not gonna defend supermarkets, but I'm not taking the Heinz side in this one. Mother is currently trying to wean father off said company's 57 varieties as a standard tin currently goes for around £1.20, versus 35p for a supermarket equivalent.

Quite right. I always go own brand - there’s no way Heinz is like more than 3 times better for the price. It’s marginal at best and I usually drain most the excessive sauce they put in there anyway because it’s OTT.

This is practically a puff piece for tesco, portraying them as some plucky underdog striving to keep costs low for the consumer.

They're the third largest retailer in the world and their profits doubled last year - perhaps they could dig into that to maintain their "laser focus' on costs to the consumer instead of squeezing producers, most of whom won't have the leverage to be able to pull their products.

The store brand beans are just as good or better at half the price

Well, I find that really depends. That stuff isn't cheaper just because of the whims of the manufacturers. There isn't a total disconnect between price and value. The branded stuff is almost always over priced, but at least the quality is reliably acceptable. But in my experience the bottom-of-the-barrel super-cheap stuff has distressing tendency to have overly-watery sauce and be relatively lacking in beans.

I've spent far too fucking much of my life eating cheap crap, and I've become pretty fed up with it. Thankfully my employment situation in recent years has meant I'm no longer forced to economise much.

The store brand beans are just as good or better at half the price
sadly this isn't true, i sat here a while back and read a thing that was about beans in particular, like what weight of beans you actually get in the tin relative to watery sauce, what the ingredients of the sauce are, check and you'll see they're actually not the same thing with different labels on the tins, though sometimes they are obvs.

But in my experience the bottom-of-the-barrel super-cheap stuff has distressing tendency to have overly-watery sauce and be relatively lacking in beans.
Heinz beans are really watery though. I go out of my way to avoid them and find Branston on offer but I'm going to try some own brand ones again to see if they've improved.

Heinz beans are really watery though. I go out of my way to avoid them and find Branston on offer but I'm going to try some own brand ones again to see if they've improved.

I don't know about Heinz beans, since I don't buy them (too pricy). Branston strike a good balance in my experience.

Own-brand tins of sausages and beans seem to have gotten better recently, at least from Tesco. There appears to be something about the addition of mini sausages which makes them less likely to be a thin, miserable gruel.

I wonder who will blink first.

I guess it depends on how brand focused people are. If you can't live without Heinz beans then you'll go to another supermarket. If you don't give a shit, you'll just buy something else.

Seems like both parties are rather full of their own self-importance.

According to the BBC website it says Heinz have pulled it brands from Tesco's so the title thread is right
No it doesn't. It says they have stopped supplying them and it explains that this is because Tesco don't want to pay the price that Heinz is asking.

Back
Top Bottom