Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hammersmith Bridge closed to motor vehicles "indefinitely"

The bridge must be in very poor condition to warrant banning cycles and pedestrians.
That is an odd aspect to it - maybe the authorities are worried about people marching across the bridge as that can cause a bridge to collapse (although it seems unlikely at this particular bridge).

That is an odd aspect to it - maybe the authorities are worried about people marching across the bridge as that can cause a bridge to collapse (although it seems unlikely at this particular bridge).

The closure is an outrageous attempt by George Soros and the Illuminati to restrict the freedom of movement of the people of London.

I call upon Toby Young, Lady Hoey of Killinfox, and David Icke to unite their followers in a Crusade to liberate the Bridge and perform their celebratory Haka of Purification

Albert Bridge still has a sign on it telling soldiers to break step.

I went under the bridge in my kayak two tears ago and it looked like it was degrading rapidly.

I think even the river under it is closed now, it’s in that poor a state. Just knock the fucker down and get the Royal Engineers in to stick up a new one, will take them a matter of hours. Won’t look lovely, but what do people want, a good looking bridge you can’t use or a functional fugly one?

20200124_155919.jpg20200124_155616.jpg20200124_155633.jpg

These pics are from January. I'm no architect but it looked a state and it was a grey wet miserable day out along the river to give the impression of impending doom for the bridge.

I think even the river under it is closed now, it’s in that poor a state. Just knock the fucker down and get the Royal Engineers in to stick up a new one, will take them a matter of hours. Won’t look lovely, but what do people want, a good looking bridge you can’t use or a functional fugly one?
It'd give the RAF a practice bombing run too.

it is - it's causing chaos for people I know who have moorings further along, passage has to be booked and before they let you cruise under it, they have to take a temperature reading. If the chains are too warm, they risk snapping and the whole thing landing on you.

I agree the colour of Hammersmith Bridge is whack. They should give it a bolder and brighter colour, not that weird brown green. Could do with some new lights too. Putney Bridge looks a lot nicer since it had a refurb with new lights.

More pressingly though, they should figure out a way to create a new bridge and keep the aesthetics of the old one intact. Even if its essentially just that (aesthetics) on top of a new bridge fit for purpose. I'd also suggest a millennium style bridge a bit further along too so no pedestrian or cyclist is ever cut off from the other side ever again.

Has the bridge got coronavirus? :eek:
Maybe if feverish people go too near the bridge they cause the metal to soften and the whole thing to collapse.

I wonder if they send someone up on the bridge chains to take it's temperature whenever a boat appears. :hmm:

There was a bit in the last Private Eye about this. After 20 years of next to no maintenance, surveys were carried out on the bridge in 2015 and 2016 which recommended urgent and extensive repairs that were costed at £25m at the time. Nothing happened until 2019 by which time the projected cost had reached £125m. TfL bunged £25m at it to get the ball rolling but "critical faults" were then found so vehicles were banned completely later that year (2019). Fast forward to the heatwave this year and now you're not even allowed to look at the bridge.

While I'm here, Chiswick Bridge is my favourite. Simple, strong, elegant and cheap. Only took three years to build (1930-33) so may take half that time today. Nice bit of Thames over there too - greenery both sides and not a ponce tower in sight between Barnes bridge and Chiswick bridge... for the time being.

Albert Bridge is gorgeous, particularly at night with the lights on.

Waterloo Bridge is arguably the ugliest to look at, but undoubtedly offers the best views of all the bridges in London.

Back
Top Bottom