Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hammersmith Bridge closed to motor vehicles "indefinitely"

Every time this thread pops up I expect to hear the bridge has finally done the decent thing and collapsed into the river.

Grade 2 listed.

I know. Seems crazy though they can't find a middle way through this. I'd prefer they built a new one and mocked up the original look around it. Using original features if they must.

It'd be no different in reality to gutting a Grade 2 listed building while preserving the exterior features.

Just because a building is listed doesn't mean it can't be demolished, it just means written consent of the local planning authority is needed beforehand.

Here's an interesting proposal for a temporary pedestrian crossing. A floating bridge with a "recycled waiting room" in the middle. Wild.

Hammersmith-Bridge_Ferry-Alternative-LARGE-1024x724.jpg

I feel like it would be a better idea to maintain our existing bridges and tunnels rather than build new ones such as the Silvertown Tunnel.

Just been reading that...policing Hammersmith Bridge on the river is costing £120 per hour :rolleyes:
Does it need policing?

Presumably if not some people would try and use it and it might not end well for them or what's left of the bridge.

Just been reading that...policing Hammersmith Bridge on the river is costing £120 per hour :rolleyes:
Does it need policing?

"guard boats" says the article and quotes £2.7m a year as the cost to stop people trying to go under the bridge. Sounds like a right swiz if you ask me.

I had need to use Putney Bridge last night. I've not been round that way since Hammersmith Bridge closed. It was 9pm on a very wet Tuesday night during a pandemic. The traffic was really busy and it took an age to cross. Probably would have been quicker to drive up to Chiswick Bridge.

The roads were largely deserted virtually everywhere else.

I had need to use Putney Bridge last night. I've not been round that way since Hammersmith Bridge closed. It was 9pm on a very wet Tuesday night during a pandemic. The traffic was really busy and it took an age to cross. Probably would have been quicker to drive up to Chiswick Bridge.

The roads were largely deserted virtually everywhere else.

It's been a bottleneck forever, but certainly since Hammersmith Bridge closed it's been even worse. I used to get the bus back from central London sometimes, and it was the worst point of congestion often backing up well back into Fulham Palace Rd/New Kings Rd.

Just put mines in the river - they won't try to go under the bridge twice. Might make the bridge collapse too which would put an end to its misery.
With any luck there might be unexplored WWII bombs nearby on the river bed that need defusing, like the one in Poland today...

Obviously not that good an architect given the thing is falling apart.

Yo it was built in the 1880s when people were still riding around on Penny Farthings. Notwithstanding that cars weren't even a thing back then, the fact it's lasted over 130 years regardless, survived two IRA bomb attempts and a Real IRA bomb, is pretty impressive.

If only the beards could just get it together with a final push, they could render the whole rebuild v restoration argument dead in the water, so to speak.

Last edited:
Like Notre Dame 🤢, for other threads, there is still some solid, beautiful, listed Victorian engineering around.

Back
Top Bottom