Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hammersmith Bridge closed to motor vehicles "indefinitely"

People have staged a protest on the South side a day or two ago demanding action and a pedestrian bridge. They say they were promised this long ago. Estimated cost for temporary pedestrian bridge £25M. Local councils cannot afford it. TFL cannot afford it.
Every armred forces in the world have plenty of quick bridge building vehicles/ platforms in their arsenals than can erect a working bridge in a matter of hours, do they not? They were commonplace enough in WWII.

Is the Thames at Hammersmith too deep/ wide for such vehicles to handle? Because otherwise I very much doubt the MOD's bill would amount to anywhere near £25m.

Every armred forces in the world have plenty of quick bridge building vehicles/ platforms in their arsenals than can erect a working bridge in a matter of hours, do they not? They were commonplace enough in WWII.

Is the Thames at Hammersmith too deep/ wide for such vehicles to handle? Because otherwise I very much doubt the MOD's bill would amount to anywhere near £25m.
24.7 Million is consultation fees.
You could build a four lane motorway over it for that sort of money

I doubt you could buy enough houses/flats for £25M from either side of river which would need to be demolished to make way for a new road.

People have staged a protest on the South side a day or two ago demanding action and a pedestrian bridge. They say they were promised this long ago. Estimated cost for temporary pedestrian bridge £25M. Local councils cannot afford it. TFL cannot afford it.

The good people of Barnes who live in LBRUT demanding that LBK&C build a new bridge for them? Well I never.

At present both the river and the bridge are closed.
Build a whole new bridge on the dry land to the west of the present bridge orientated in any optimum direction and divert the river under it. Re-align the roads.
Problem solved.
Spoil from the new cut could be moved and stored downriver in barges. If the tides are worked right the transport costs would be minimal. If the new spoil is insufficient to fill the old river bed the barges could be made of concrete and sunk in the old bed.
Sell the old bridge, which is now on dry land, for scrap.
Any questions?

At present both the river and the bridge are closed.
Build a whole new bridge on the dry land to the west of the present bridge orientated in any optimum direction and divert the river under it. Re-align the roads.
Problem solved.
Spoil from the new cut could be moved and stored downriver in barges. If the tides are worked right the transport costs would be minimal. If the new spoil is insufficient to fill the old river bed the barges could be made of concrete and sunk in the old bed.
Sell the old bridge, which is now on dry land, for scrap.
Any questions?

I have one. To the nearest hundred million what would your cost estimates be and please bear in mind it costs £50m to not build a bridge on the Thames?

So perhaps the IRA had done their homework when they chose to bomb this particular bridge, as the most likely to collapse? It certainly seems to be the weakest of all London crossings and then some.

You wouldn't keep an old TV that wasn't working but looked nice. Why keep a non-working bridge? Demolish it and build a new one.
The bridge is weak because the IRA kept exploding bombs on it.

If your mum was knackered because she got got beaten up by terrorists would you just chuck her out and get a new mum?

The bridge is weak because the IRA kept exploding bombs on it.

If your mum was knackered because she got got beaten up by terrorists would you just chuck her out and get a new mum?

Yeah they should have had the office workers just carry on working in the wreckage of the twin towers, instead of clearing it away and building a new tower.

Even the Army have fucked it off now
Local MP, Sarah Olney, alongside the council's transport committee chair, Alexander Ehmann, have written a joint letter to the Army and Secretary of State for Defence, Ben Wallace, asking for military assistance in evaluating and potentially deploying an emergency temporary bridge linking Barnes and Hammersmith.

However and MOD spokesperson said: “The UK Armed Forces are always willing to provide support to civil authorities where we are able to add value.

In this instance, having taken account of available capabilities, we have suggested that the task may be more suited to a civil agency or private company.”

There is an issue of people who lived one side of the river, worked on the other and walked to work, same for school children.
I see there is now talk of a ferry to get pedestrians and cyclists across the river. Great, except it couldnt operate at low tide :D

There is an issue of people who lived one side of the river, worked on the other and walked to work, same for school children.
I see there is now talk of a ferry to get pedestrians and cyclists across the river. Great, except it couldnt operate at low tide :D
It's such a shame there are no other bridges across the river isn't it. :(

It's such a shame there are no other bridges across the river isn't it. :(
Well I can’t be arsed to google it but I’d imagine you’re looking at the best part of two miles in either direction for the nearest crossing? As a one-off it’s not very daunting but regular commuting pedestrians having to add several miles a day to every journey must suck arse big way, and might be too much walking for a lot of people to do regularly.

And as for other types of commuters, with London and Vauxhall Bridges currently closed to motorised traffic altogether, and Wandsworth Bridge suffering from deliberately restricted capacity, crossing the river in London has become hell on Earth. Easily adding 30+ min to everyone on more than two wheels, including bus users.

Even cyclists are affected to some degree, as the approaches to all the remaining bridges and also the wider nearby areas alongside the Thames are frequently gridlocked, and on the many streets that don’t have a cycle lane, gridlocked traffic slows progress considerably.

why can't they just drain the thames? not used for much these days...

No need to drain it, just lob in a load of bags of concrete and once set stick a rail line on it, will stretch from Reading to Essex, as it will be rail that crosses London we could call it Crossrail. Will be up and running by Christmas.

Another indirect annoyance with all this, is that I can no longer get any Chinese delivered from my favorite takeaway in Castlenau via Uber Eats because no fucker is hanging around there to take deliveries if they're cut off from Hammersmith and all that potential business north of the river.

They need to pull their finger out, and stop faffing about. Load of bollocks.

No need to drain it, just lob in a load of bags of concrete and once set stick a rail line on it, will stretch from Reading to Essex, as it will be rail that crosses London we could call it Crossrail. Will be up and running by Christmas.
With the added benefit of blocking the river at the same time, and flooding a large part of the home counties with a giant reservoir solving the water shortages in one go. What's not to like about that idea.

Another indirect annoyance with all this, is that I can no longer get any Chinese delivered from my favorite takeaway in Castlenau via Uber Eats because no fucker is hanging around there to take deliveries if they're cut off from Hammersmith and all that potential business north of the river.

They need to pull their finger out, and stop faffing about. Load of bollocks.

Worse than Hitler.

Back
Top Bottom