Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

google refuses to remove saudi app which allows men to track women

Has Google ever lived up to their "Don't be evil" pledge?

They're part of the ever growing capitalist surveillance sector, making money off of gathering private information and selling it the highest bigger. As if that's not going to create a dystopia that even Orwell or Huxley couldn't have imagined.

Apparently they dropped don't be evil in 2015.

Description
"Don't be evil" was a motto used within Google's corporate code of conduct. Following Google's corporate restructuring under the conglomerate Alphabet Inc. in October 2015, Alphabet took "Do the right thing" as its motto, also forming the opening of its corporate code of conduct. Wikipedia

Which is a bit more ambiguous really...

selling it the highest bigger
Not to defend Google, but they don't do this (AFAIK).

Their value as a company is in both the data they hold and the information they've extracted from that. If they gave away either, what are they for? I think Google are one of the few companies that you can 'trust' not to sell your data as it makes no sense commercially.

They might provide data to intelligence agencies if compelled. In fact, I'm certain they do. But that's true about all companies.

Google having all this data on you can be dangerous in other ways, though.

I think Google are one of the few companies that you can 'trust' not to sell your data as it makes no sense commercially.
At the moment maybe. But who knows what value this data could have in the future and who the potential customers for it are.

Back
Top Bottom