Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"The Line" - Saudi Arabia plans 100 mile long indoor megacity. [Neom]

After stumbling across a few of this guys videos I found this one and it made me chuckle. A frankly as sound a scientific analysis as you could hope for :D

That photo is from last year.
As in, you can see the same diggers and trucks in the same location in this youtube video thumbnail from October '22.

Interesting piece here

Let’s talk train logistics for a moment. The anticipated high-speed train that will zip through the city has an agenda as streamlined as its architectural host: make only four stops and cover the entire 170-kilometer stretch of the city in a lightning-fast 20 minutes. Yes, you heard that right—20 minutes. The brilliance behind this lies in the linearity of the city itself. With a straightforward design, the train can achieve optimal speeds, in part because it won’t have to deal with curves or complicated track configurations.

But the minimalism doesn’t stop there. The limited number of stations is another masterstroke. Fewer stops mean fewer slowdowns and fewer accelerations, allowing the train to maintain a high velocity throughout its route. Thus, residents not only get the luxury of fast travel but also benefit from the increased efficiency and energy conservation that comes with maintaining a constant speed.

If its 9 million inhabitants are homogeneously distributed in the city, each [kilometer] will have roughly 53,000 people. If we randomly pick two people from the city, they will be, on average, 57 km [35 miles] apart. Although The Line occupies only 2 percent of the surface of Johannesburg, if we pick two random people in Johannesburg, they are only 33 km [20 miles] apart,” the team explains in their paper.

Keeping the surface fixed, a line is the contiguous urban form that maximises the distance between its inhabitants. In The Line, people are as far away from others as possible.”

When it comes to transport, even with a generous sprinkling of 86 train stations, the paper estimates that nearly half the population would still face a commute longer than an hour. Imagine the irony: a city designed for convenience ends up inconveniencing you.

“Regardless of the number of stations on The Line, at least 47 percent of the population will have a commute longer than 60 min so most people will live too far from their destination.”

However, the critics aren’t just naysayers; they offer a solution—morph The Line into a circle. While it may not have the same poetic ring to it, a circular design would maximize proximity among residents and could potentially reduce commuting times and energy consumption.

In “The Circle,” high-speed trains could become a quaint relic, largely because residents would be able to walk or cycle for most of their trips. Public buses could fill in for any remaining transportation needs. While the construction of “The Circle” might present more hurdles than “The Line,” let’s be honest: if one is already diving into the grandiose endeavor of erecting an awe-inspiring complex in the desert, wouldn’t it be prudent to invest that extra bit of effort to ensure the space is truly habitable?

I'm pro anything that attempts to counter the madness that is zoning. Commercial, industry and Residential.

Bloody yanks invented zoning back when they decided hey we just use lots and lots of cars with cheap clean convenient petrol to deal with the travel it creates. No problem.

Only lots of problems not just the polluting cars aspect.

I'm pro anything that attempts to counter the madness that is zoning. Commercial, industry and Residential.

Bloody yanks invented zoning back when they decided hey we just use lots and lots of cars with cheap clean convenient petrol to deal with the travel it creates. No problem.

The American approach of separating light commercial areas as far away as possible from dwellings as possible is certainly ludicrous, but at the same time a certain degree of zoning makes plenty of sense; it's generally a good idea not to build asbestos factories right next to primary schools.

Only thing is, the city planners grew up playing stuff like Sim City where all the game rules reward zoning.

The American approach of separating light commercial areas as far away as possible from dwellings as possible is certainly ludicrous, but at the same time a certain degree of zoning makes plenty of sense; it's generally a good idea not to build asbestos factories right next to primary schools.
Like we have much heavy industry or manufacturing left in the west.

Just seen an advert for concert venue at neom not exactly sure whose going to a rave in Saudi????

But special forces the line 2 should be awesome*

* a fucked up Dubai was a pretty good setting for war crimes the video game.
But Zeon looks 1000 x more dystopian 🤥🤣

as so often with your posts that's a load of auld cobblers. as a swift search of the internet shows, it was a german invention from whence it spread to britain, the united states and so on

Just seen an advert for concert venue at neom not exactly sure whose going to a rave in Saudi????

But special forces the line 2 should be awesome*

* a fucked up Dubai was a pretty good setting for war crimes the video game.
But Zeon looks 1000 x more dystopian 🤥🤣
I’ve been to a rave in Abu Dhabi.

Plenty of locals there because
1. it was a new scene
2. Booze allowed there

Plenty of migrant workers there because:
1. A scene they miss
2. Alcohol allowed there.

Suspect it’ll be the same in Dubai.

No matter what happens there, still feels like the most basic and mid place on earth. The sort of place Andrew Tate feels is fantastic
It sounds like I once heard Dubai described, as something like 'A giant soulless air conditioned mall for premiership footballers to come and buy shoes that cost the same as an NHS hospital's annual budget'

By the way, it also finally happened (as I thought it might) that someone has messaged me on LinkedIn about a possible content job in Neom that's probably related to the Libe. Apparently they are offering megabucks to people to churn our crap about it. But not interested.

Can someone please tell me why a 'line' and not a regular type city that sort of emanates from a central point outwards in all directions? Is there some sort of advantage to this design which I'm missing?

Back
Top Bottom