Votes: 71 53.4%
  • No she should not

Votes: 32 24.1%
  • Official warning

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Attention seeking option

Votes: 23 17.3%

• Total voters
FWIW, the few times I've seen it in action on a large scale - climate camp and g8 mass meetings - were some of the most structured meetings I've ever seen (certainly in terms of following a pre-set agenda). A bit less so when used in meetings of 20 or 30. The shake hands thing does maybe allow some people who might not want to speak to make a contribution, but doesn't itself solve all the power issues.

FWIW, the few times I've seen it in action on a large scale - climate camp and g8 mass meetings - were some of the most structured meetings I've ever seen (certainly in terms of following a pre-set agenda). A bit less so when used in meetings of 20 or 30. The shake hands thing does maybe allow some people who might not want to speak to make a contribution, but doesn't itself solve all the power issues.
It can even accentuate them. The only mass meeting (300+) i've ever been at where it was used was effectively taken over by those familiar with the rigmarole.

But blimey, i didn't expect to be talking about this stuff ever again.

Yeah, I agree. I've seen them used really well sometimes too, but like you say, they're not a magic bullet obviously. Although actually the largest meeting with the widest participation I've seen (around 900 people) didn't use them at all, but was incredibly well structured and with brutally tight facilitation.

I do think the fetish of consensus and process and how it can be used to stifle minority (and often more radical views) is an interesting and useful topic for discussion, but probably for another thread/day/lifetime.

(And actually not entirely unrelated to the issues around 'safe spaces' and topics that this thread has touched on.)

https://www.duedil.com/company/02738104/catalyst-collective-limited/people
https://www.duedil.com/company/05107548/seeds-for-change-oxford-collective-ltd/people
https://www.duedil.com/company/04213118/seeds-for-change-lancaster-co-operative-ltd

ok so the earliest of these companies - lancaster seeds for change emerges at 2001 and had an injection of 20k in 2011 - (when i first came across them when v. dodgy (from 1st hand,them fucking up projects- name of mark weaver from leeds) starts bigging up hannah from SfC also No Dash for Gas for these trainings at occupy london. does anyone recognize any names that are dodgy here? how is their an appetite for these many trainings from all these organizations supplying identical services pushing this flawed model. It is the way that the students (with their red square everywhere- well within the UoL, they dont like to play with the ex polys) organize, and claim it was successful in amsterdam. Just like the occupy london claimed to take it from 15M in spain. the above musings have been really useful, cheers.
By the By, gwan london tommorrow, gonna take a walk around goldsmiths and put some of my already made posters up, i had them already made but didnt look "goldsmiths" enough last time and we just drank some super lagers on a bench: but iv washed my hair
The posters say something like "think your student politicians are WANKERS? look deeper they are probably SPIES #studentsnotspooks and with this power vacuum might be able to strike up some conversations and get kicked out, i have a squat i can crash at in new cross because im abreast of the modern developments so wouldnt be out of my way. cheers guys, PMs welcome .
Consensus democracy (jazz hands) is shit and also sinister...

Side issue, but are you sure? I was very involved in those circles across the country then and never saw it at all until the PGA gatherings started a few years later. The nearest I saw was a Native American who visited to talk about indigenous resistance to coal mining in North America and use a talking stick that got taken up by some of the more hippie inclined elements. No doubt they'd all be hauled up for cultural appropriation today. :p

100%.

I remember taking a couple of AFA types to an EF! Meeting c. 94/95 at a squatted social centre in Cardiff and their disgust/disbelief at seeing the spectacle of jazz hands for the first time. I wasn't shocked, which suggests I'd already been desensitised to its use even earlier.

100%.

I remember taking a couple of AFA types to an EF! Meeting c. 94/95 at a squatted social centre in Cardiff and their disgust/disbelief at seeing the spectacle of jazz hands for the first time. I wasn't shocked, which suggests I'd already been desensitised to its use even earlier.
(((chilango))) :(

Gathering/whatever - Pretty sure chilango here went to the infamous NA EF thing stalked by a bear.

I did not. Stop repeating this slur.

I used to stalk bears, not the other way round.

Apart from that one time in Alaska....

...nowt to do with EF! Though, it happened to be a SWPie eating chocolate - against the rules - in our tent.

But anyway....:D

Maybe it was a special Wales thing? :D

Doubt it. There were barely any Welsh people there!

I suspect it was cos of the liberal Rainbow Gathering student types who'd initially set the EF! Group prior to the influx of anarchos/ex-trots that changed its character somewhat.

Reactions: LDC
Doubt it. There were barely any Welsh people there!

I suspect it was cos of the liberal Rainbow Gathering student types who'd initially set the EF! Group prior to the influx of anarchos/ex-trots that changed its character somewhat.

Yeah, in fact the Rainbow Gathering thing was one of the names that I was trying to remember when I was thinking about the migration of the hand signals thing from Europe to the UK. They used them, and there was a bit of an overlap between that scene and the Euro-greenie scene in the mid-'90s, and then the PGA increased that.

I think we should just agree to blame the Euro hippies.

Yeah, in fact the Rainbow Gathering thing was one of the names that I was trying to remember when I was thinking about the migration of the hand signals thing from Europe to the UK. They used them, and there was a bit of an overlap between that scene and the Euro-greenie scene in the mid-'90s, and then the PGA increased that.

I think we should just agree to blame the Euro hippies.
i bet it was an innovation from an undercover cop in an attempt to undermine subversives by making them appear alien

Reactions: LDC
Don't ruin the story!
I was on a boat once in Spitsbergen that rescued a French climber who had been stalked by a Polar Bear for three days. We found him sat on a big rock clutching his rifle with a circle of paw prints round and round and round his rock.

I camped there on my own, unarmed.

A few years later some posh private school boys got eaten camping there.

/better story. ;)

I did not. Stop repeating this slur.

I used to stalk bears, not the other way round.

Apart from that one time in Alaska....

...nowt to do with EF! Though, it happened to be a SWPie eating chocolate - against the rules - in our tent.

But anyway....:D
The more i hear about that martin smith the less i like him.

I was on a boat once in Spitsbergen that rescued a French climber who had been stalked by a Polar Bear for three days. We found him sat on a big rock clutching his rifle with a circle of paw prints round and round and round his rock.

I camped there on my own, unarmed.

A few years later some posh private school boys got eaten camping there.

/better story. ;)

Happy ending, then. :thumbs:

yank chugger outside of oxford street pret the other week, give him the old "this can leed to other things you know, nod wink" - CIA? "hell yeah i wouldnt mind being in the CIA" thankfully he was shelter rather than amnesty or something , then the comrades tugged me away because we had stolen all the food we needed. but yeah people know this? good , glad - fucking greenpeace (personal exp.)

Did you know that when chuggers shake hands with you, it's not just a sales trick to make you feel close to them and stop, they're actually subtly planting little spy nanobots in your skin that monitor everything you do and report directly to MI5?

yank chugger outside of oxford street pret the other week, give him the old "this can leed to other things you know, nod wink" - CIA? "hell yeah i wouldnt mind being in the CIA" thankfully he was shelter rather than amnesty or something , then the comrades tugged me away because we had stolen all the food we needed. but yeah people know this? good , glad - fucking greenpeace (personal exp.)

Interesting stuff

Did you know that when chuggers shake hands with you, it's not just a sales trick to make you feel close to them and stop, they're actually subtly planting little spy nanobots in your skin that monitor everything you do and report directly to MI5?

Nah. That's bollocks, they're just slipping an RFID chip up yer sleeve. The nano-bot bugs don't work unless your skin has a neutral Ph, they just curl up and die.

Fucking vegan nanobots waving their stupid little MI5 endorsed jazz hands though.

And CHUGGERS... rearrange the letters a bit and you get GGCHUERS. Take away the first G (unless you go for the well known theory that it actually stands for Goldsmiths in which case leave it in) and say G.C.H.UERS fast and what do you get? Fucking GCH-quers. Say no more.

Anyhoo... bringing the conversation back to something vaguely 'normal' (yeah, right!), can someone explain the logic behind feminists siding with salafists against critics of salafists who decided to intimidate a feminist who had the cheek to not be told what to do and how to live by other salafists? Other than the explanation "huh huh poshoes at uni" (which, to be fair, is almost entirely satisfactory as explanations go), what on earth can explain this bizarre story? What the fuck are people thinking?

From the facebook feed, justification stems from:they are a downtrodden minority, we are a downtrodden minority,..there is strength trough unity. They are undergradutes, was bound to be more poncy than frogs and scorpians working together for a better world!

Back
Top Bottom