Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Giant owls ate my conspiracy thread…

The point I'm making is that conspiracy theorists can really distress the the friends and relatives of people who have died with their fact-free theories.

snouty warthog said:
Just a few general points I wanted to make-

I don’t like the term ‘conspiraloon’. It seems to be used by some as a blanket rebuff to anyone with a point of view differing from the norm, or the official story. Or indeed to anyone who would even question the official story. Or just anyone who disagrees with the opinions of certain users.

And so to owls (hurrah!) It seems that on these forums, the people who bring up owls the most, albeit with the intent of humour, are the people who use the ‘conspiraloon’ tag most often also. Occasionally I find the owl jokes funny, but I think it is being overdone to a degree that stifles debate. And clearly, it is not the members here who are discussing such events as Bohemian Grove who have an owl obsession. It is the people who attend the event who do. and perhaps also the posters here who continually bring it up as a running joke. “Worship ye now at the shrine of yet another owl joke… sacrificed before the great owl god of sarcastic quips...”

what about the labelling of those who don't conform to the conspiracy theorist's views as 'poodles' and 'sheep'?

bit of labelling on both sides really it seems to me. the owl jokes are very recent and have nothing to do with anything. imo.

The point is that having once also believed that 9/11 was the work of Al-Qaeda, I can understand why someone may believe the same.

Whereas those who attack us show no effort at all to answer our questions or address the sources, and instead resort to the well practiced lines of "Oh, that would mean too many people lying" or "your a conspiraloon".
Its just stupid.

You tell me where the faults are in: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6517776133137328105&q=road+to+tyranny+9%2F11

Where are the lies? Where is the distortion?

Its made for americans, its got a christian patriot feel to it, it has cheesy music sometimes.... so what? Look at the information and be glad there are still some REAL libertarian christians left. Because full scale WWIII can still be stopped.

miss minnie said:
what about the labelling of those who don't conform to the conspiracy theorist's views as 'poodles' and 'sheep'?
well, I haven't seen this, but I take your point. I have seen that word bandied about a lot lately though. I almost got accused of it myself. I think it was insinuated... yeah, anyway, labelling another poster... is something I try to avoid doing. I did it once, when I was drunk. I called someone a two-dimensional irritant. I felt a bit stupid in the morning. even though he was...:p

Azrael23 said:
The point is that having once also believed that 9/11 was the work of Al-Qaeda, I can understand why someone may believe the same.

Whereas those who attack us show no effort at all to answer our questions or address the sources, and instead resort to the well practiced lines of "Oh, that would mean too many people lying" or "your a conspiraloon".
Its just stupid.

You tell me where the faults are in: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6517776133137328105&q=road+to+tyranny+9%2F11

Where are the lies? Where is the distortion?

Its made for americans, its got a christian patriot feel to it, it has cheesy music sometimes.... so what? Look at the information and be glad there are still some REAL libertarian christians left. Because full scale WWIII can still be stopped.

Fuck off Asrael.

Yea, well. The whole 9/11 being an inside job thing is gradually drifting from being a refuge for wide-eyed conspiracy theorists, towards being a mainstream view.

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=CONSPIRACY-08-02-06

36% of Americans? That's slightly more than Bush's approval rating. That's 1%less than labour needed to win the last election. That... is mainstream.

Whether or not anyone finds out for sure remains to be seen - we might see a bit more transparency or evidence if an administration hostile to the current one ever gets into power.

Whatever - I think this one will probably go the way of the Reichstag fire - no one knows for sure, but everyone assumes it was the bad guys. It would be fucking hilarious if something a bit more conclusive did come to light though.

36%? that is really interesting... plus "16 percent of Americans speculate that secretly planted explosives, not burning passenger jets, were the real reason the massive twin towers of the World Trade Center collapsed."

thanks for the link, nick

nick1181 said:
36% of Americans? That's slightly more than Bush's approval rating. That's 1%less than labour needed to win the last election. That... is mainstream.
Not this king size red herring again.

:rolleyes:

So do you think the American public's belief in God, Angels and the Devil means that they're really real too?

Azrael23 said:

In the first 3.5 minutes he states that :

1) that Hitler burned the Reichstag
2) that Nero burned Rome.

These aren't facts, they're unknowns - and this is a pattern that persists throughout. He's constantly stating unknowns as facts. Sorry, I'm sick of hearing this cavalier regard for reality from religious people, and regardless of any sympathy I might have with his views, I have to call it what it is : Lieing.

Not this king size red herring again.
king size and getting bigger, baby...

myself...
The Magnificent Creator of All is real.
Angels are real.
the devil/satan/whatever... personally, I don't know. I am interested in other people's opinions, cos I haven't had any definitive experience of a real antiChrist.

I don't expect you to treat my spiritual beliefs with any degree of respect... but I am willing to be surprised...

snouty warthog said:
king size and getting bigger, baby...

myself...
The Magnificent Creator of All is real.
Angels are real.
What's your proof that angels are real please?

Have you seen some then? Any photos? Vids?

editor said:
See this thing: "?"
It was at the end of my last post.

I asked you a question.

And I gave you an answer.

But in case you're going to go into one of these Jeremy-Paxman, repeat the same questions over and over again things that you sometimes do, here's an honest answer.

I don't know. On balance, I doubt it... but there's always room for possibility. I mean what exactly are Gods, Devils, Angels? Do lots of people believing in them make them real? Fuck, I don't know. It doesn't seem likely, but then again we live in a universe of 11 dimensions so if you're really going to argue specifics, I'd be pretty fucked (within the 11 dimension context) actually defining what "real" means.

This however, was not your point. If 36% of people believe something is real, does that make it real? No. I didn't say it did. That wasn't my point

pi is real

you can do an experiment to prove it .... find some circles take a piece of string and place it around the circle mark off the lenght
then compare that lengh to the diameter

call me if you notice something

Pi-unrolled.gif

Given their track record, I'd say that 36% of residents of the US believing in something is good reason to consider it false, barring further evidence.

editor said:
You didn't actually. You asked me a question.

Oh well.

I answered a question with a question from which you could have (if you'd wanted) inferred my answer. If you'd said "Did I say I agreed?" to me, I'd have known exactly what you meant.

But we digress. If (and that is an if) 36% of Americans do think that 9/11 was an inside job, then I think it's fair say that this particular idea no longer exists purely as the jewel in the tin foil crown.

If it has become mainstream - and whether it's true or not (and in case you ask me again, I don't know (or even care terribly) if it is), it's no longer strictly accurate to characterise people who think that 9/11 was an inside job, as the lunatic fringe.

(ahem: even though one of them not a million miles from here gives a reasonably good impression of one who is.)

laptop said:
Given their track record, I'd say that 36% of residents of the US believing in something is good reason to consider it false, barring further evidence.

Only if their beliefs are concurrent with Fox News. This isn't one of those occasions.

44% of US residents polled believe that "God created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years."

(Source - quoting Gallup)

That doesn't stop it being fruitloopery deluxe. Nor, that I am aware, is it a Fux News line. Feel free to produce an editorial contradicting me on that :(

nick1181 said:
If it has become mainstream - and whether it's true or not (and in case you ask me again, I don't know (or even care terribly) if it is), it's no longer strictly accurate to characterise people who think that 9/11 was an inside job, as the lunatic fringe.
Yes. But something supposedly becoming 'more mainstream' with a section of the American public doesn't make it any more true, any more likely to have actually happened or cover up for the complete absence of credible evidence.

So I don't really see much point in bringing it up in the context of this debate here.

On these boards, where the subject has - I'd suggest - been more rigorously debated than in many fruitloop sites, there remains a near-microscopic percentage of people who believe the yarns about invisible planes, pre-wired towers, Mike Yarwood CIA teams and all the other evidence-free guff.

The fact that the rather obsessive 9/11 conspiracy fans have failed to make any headway here - despite zillions of endlessly cyclical threads - speaks volumes of the paucity of their evidence and the weakness of their arguments.

laptop said:
Nor, that I am aware, is it a Fux News line. Feel free to produce an editorial contradicting me on that :(

Feel free to produce an editorial concurring.

Gee. Do you think the 44% who believe in Creationism and the 36% who think it was an inside job are the same people?

nick1181 said:
Feel free to produce an editorial concurring.

Why? How? I said I'm not aware that Fux News has taken a line on the issue of creation.

You're getting more confused about this "evidence" thing, aren't you?

nick1181 said:
Gee. Do you think the 44% who believe in Creationism and the 36% who think it was an inside job are the same people?

It seems the actual numbers who go to church weekly are 20 percent of Protestants, and 28 percent of Catholics. (As against the 40% of US residents who tell pollsters "yeah, sure, I went to church last week")

I have no idea whether these are more likely to believe conspiraloonery that's outside their church doctrine.

But I would argue that, yes, very many of the remainder are the same people. People who prefer the lazy satisfaction of "a good story" over the hard work involved in looking at the actual world. People who truly believe that there is a 4½th article of the Bill of Rights that says "No person shall be held to have to think, fer chrissakes."

editor said:
You didn't actually. You asked me a question.

Oh well.

He didn't he gave you an answer in the form of a question. Perhaps it was rhetorical in nature? but it was still an answer in the form of a question.

He said it was mainstream, he didn't say he believed it, in his answer he refered you back to that.

I know you hate this shit Ed, I do too, but you have to be fair to people and what they say.

The thing what annoys me about this is the sheer mountain of bullshit these people expect you to wade through in an effort to prove their assumptions wrong, like I really want to watch that prick Alex Jones for 3 hours, and then spend the extra 3 hours researching, just so I can point out the 2 hours and 59 minutes of inaccuracies, assumptions and just blatant lies that the man spouts.

Yes really link me to a 400 page document that would take me more time in my life to read and then even more time to check the research just to find out that it is just another essay by a loonspud, thats really how I like to spend my days, and if you refuse to do anything but that they claim you can't refute their claims.

What a crock of crap.

It is a bit like a letter I got off the social where they claim that someone is living at this address and ask me to provide proof that he isn't.

Like I replied, you could accuse me of having David Beckham living in my cupboard, how the fuck could I prove he wasn't?

editor said:
Yes. But something supposedly becoming 'more mainstream' with a section of the American public doesn't make it any more true, any more likely to have actually happened or cover up for the complete absence of credible evidence.

So I don't really see much point in bringing it up in the context of this debate here.

The context of this debate was (if memory serves) someone complaining about not being able to talk about conspiracies - basically because the people trying to talk about them are ridiculed as being a lunatic fringe. I was pointing out that actually, it's getting to be a bit more than a fringe. That as far as I can see is relevent.

It wasn't about the objective reality behind the conspiracies.

The reason I (once in a blue moon) chip in on these threads is that I don't like seeing people being bullied - and I may be totally, completely wrong and misguided about that, but it's sure the way it looks to me.

Anyway, we've been here before and it's getting a little late for me. Over and out.

Back
Top Bottom