Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

I was on my way to work this morning, and noticed from the Bus, on one of those new fangled electronic advertising boards, high up on a wall, it said " GB News, we tell you the news that the BBC wont ", and it was in the BBC red colour and style of logo of the BBC News.

They have been running those on various outdoor sites for a few weeks now, it doesn't seem to be helping, Farage's interview with Trump gave them a lift in viewers, but look how quick that drops off, in their top 15 of most viewed shows. :D

2dddd.png

I thought I would dip into the new breakfast show with Eamonn Holmes and Isabel Webster to sample it, and I've got to say the new set is looking good.

However, at 8 am there were no news headlines, they were already discussing pets & fireworks when I switched over, I assumed they were running a little late, and expected the headlines at any moment, but that discussion continued until 8.09am :facepalm:

Webster was leading the conversation, whilst Holmes was looking incredibly bored, probably wondering WTF was going on and WTF was he doing there.

Well, I guess it's offering an alternative. :hmm:

ETA - Oh, the new indents in & out of an ad break seemed very similar to ones used back in the early 80s for BBC Breakfast and the old TV-am ones, combined.

Last edited:
Tried again at 9 am, still no headlines, and they were back to discussing pets & fireworks until 9.11am, you couldn't make it up. :facepalm:

Then live to their roaming reporter in the north, for almost 10 minutes, who claimed he was randomly knocking on doors to discuss what matters to people, which was clearly bullshit, as he knocked on the door of the pub and the staff & landlord were clearly not surprised, and had been briefed on what they would discuss.

Who in their right mind thinks this could be a ratings winner?

I'm impressed both by the fact that they are still going and your tenacity in sticking with it.
Do they actually do news in the true sense or is it just talking heads?

Oh, I haven't been sticking with it, this is the first time I've dipped in for months, and then it was only very briefly when channel hopping.

I just thought it would be interesting to see what their latest mini re-launch was like, and if I felt it was an improvement and could help them increase ratings, but IMO it's even worst than before, lessons haven't been learnt.

They had Stephen Dixon and Anne Diamond on towards the end of breakfast, as they are the new weekend hosts for the show, they were all agreeing that focusing on 'good, positive news' was their mission, I have two slight problems with that. Firstly, I didn't see any 'good, positive news' this morning, and secondly it's been proved time & time that 'good news' doesn't sell newspapers, nor does it work on radio or TV, so it's pointless going down that road, it's doomed to failure.

Due to 'popular' demand, they had introduced top of the hour news headlines across the schedule, Simon McCoy & co-hosts used to do them on their breakfast show, but for some strange reason they've dropped them for this new breakfast show. 🤷‍♂️

So, after paying for a slot on the DigitalOne national DAB multiplex for several months, finally GB News Radio has launched today.

Not having a DAB set, I followed their instructions for Alexa - ‘Alexa: Enable Radioplayer’, then to play GB News Radio, say ‘Alexa: Ask Radioplayer to play GB News Radio’.

Simple enough, and what does Alexa play? This is brilliant, it plays 'LBC News UK'. :facepalm: :D

Back
Top Bottom