Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

So, after paying for a slot on the DigitalOne national DAB multiplex for several months, finally GB News Radio has launched today.

Not having a DAB set, I followed their instructions for Alexa - ‘Alexa: Enable Radioplayer’, then to play GB News Radio, say ‘Alexa: Ask Radioplayer to play GB News Radio’.

Simple enough, and what does Alexa play? This is brilliant, it plays 'LBC News UK'. :facepalm: :D
Must have misheard you!

Based on Opening Night, I gained the impression they tend to employ sound and lighting technicians who are basically otherwise unemployable so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that the same hiring policies apply to their IT department.

I would certainly agree with that.

It's funny how Radio Caroline, a largely listener funded station run by volunteers, can get it right, you don't even have to fluff around with the 'ask Radioplayer to play...' bit, just 'play Radio Caroline' or 'play Radio Caroline Flashback', and Alexa plays whichever version of the station you have asked for, album music or oldies.

I checked. Alexa knows I'm a cunt and is doing the same thing.
Maybe LBC has bribed Alexa to do this? It‘s how standard web advertising works with google etc. isn’t it, shows you a sponsored result first, something that has made web searches almost totally useless in many cases.

Another quick check at 8am for headlines, but instead 5 minutes on this...

Apparently they had been discussing staff shortages resulting in bins not being collected, so they read out a tweet from Martyn. 'my bin men have been great, always going the extra mile mile. They definitely deserve a pay rise though. Worth their weight in gold', followed by another from Philberto saying ' One man to solve this.., with what looks like a image from a kids' programme of a dustcart & binmen', I've no idea where it's from, nor did Holmes or Webster. < gripping stuff!

The conversation went onto bluebottle flies and maggots, being the main problem if bins are not collected. <just what you want to hear when eating breakfast!

Whoever is in charge of running this shit-show must be tripping, or paid by Murdoch to wreak havoc, before the launch of TalkTV.

hmm was anyone bored enough to look at GB news when they Bristol lot got let off with throwing the statue in the river

:hmm:

Just surfaced today -

The rightwing news channel was summoned to Bristol crown court halfway through the trial in relation to an article and video monologue by the presenter Mercy Muroki titled “I’m in favour of white people calling out racism … but the Colston saga reeks of white guilt”.

In the piece Muroki commented on the ongoing trial and suggested that Bristol council and local police officers might have colluded with a “bunch of anarchic protesters” to tear down the statue of the slave trader Edward Colston. She added: “I don’t need a bunch of white hippies crippled by white guilt to throw a largely irrelevant statue in a river to prove they’re not racist.”

Although journalists can report on most court proceedings, there are tough legal restrictions on what the media can publish before the end of a trial in case it prejudices the jury.

GB News’ representative, Claire Overman, told the court there had been a “breakdown in communication” at GB News on the day the article and video was published. She said the lawyer on duty at the channel only had a few minutes to look at it while also reviewing other on-air content.

“[The duty lawyer] accepts that by any view on his part he did not appreciate the concern arising from the contents in the time he had,” she said.

She added that GB News had put in place “immediate steps to ensure something like this does not happen again” and would send its staff on media law training to ensure they understand contempt of court law.

They are not trained to understand contempt of court law. :facepalm:

In a statement, Judge Blair said he had decided not refer GB News to the attorney general over the potential contempt of court: “The swift response of GB News in seeking to remedy the position when my concerns came to their attention, the promise of undertaking further focused training of journalists on matters of ‘contempt of court’ and their frank acknowledgment of their errors are, in my view, sufficient and proportionate steps to reflect their culpability on this occasion.”

What a shame. :(

Mind you, he probably realised that next to fuck all people would have seen it anyway, and very unlikely any of the jury did.

I've been so enjoying watching breakfast news this morning, what with Novak Djokovic getting his visa cancelled again, the former prince, and party-gate blowing up in the face of the security minister, doing the media rounds, when he was expecting to be talking about the spy story, I thought I would check out GB News.

8 am - a couple of minutes of headlines, then straight into their first major story, "tomorrow is 'national pothole day', it's a very serious issue...' :facepalm: :D

So, about 5 minutes on potholes, then brief reports on the former prince and party-gate, 8.15 they have two guests on, for another 5 minutes discussing potholes, I mean you couldn't make it up, WTF are they on? :D

Tbf, they are right to challenge this

Except the ranting women is misrepresenting what the guidance is, which is that "if a patient “with mental capacity” was refusing to leave because they did not accept the follow-on care offered, the trust should follow the local discharge policy, which could involve legal action."

Hospitals do not discharge unless a suitable care plan is in place, so, her claiming patients will be taken to court because no care is in place is total nonsense, on a par with GB News' usual standards when it comes to the 'truth'.

I am surprised you fell for it, TBH.

Back
Top Bottom