Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you house had been destroyed and half of your family killed would it not give you a bit of a psychological boost to know that rockets had landed not so far from tel aviv, had penetrated the "iron dome" system and not only this, but they were the official reason given why flights from Israel were suspended by the US and many other countries for over 24 hours?

If you house had been destroyed and half of your family killed would it not give you a bit of a psychological boost to know that rockets had landed not so far from tel aviv, had penetrated the "iron dome" system and not only this, but they were the official reason given why flights from Israel were suspended by the US and many other countries for over 24 hours?

No.

Not my most clarity-ridden post last night, but I think you have to think seriously about what the leaders of Hamas believe and what their motivations are. They don't see a way to end the occupation and therefore concern themselves mainly with consolidating political power within the Palestinian territories. That in my mind is why they fire rockets at Israel - to convince the Palestinians that they are trying to defend them from Israeli imperialism. This is my take on it anyway - you're free to disagree of course but if you are suggesting the rockets are fired because of a genuine belief that they will cause any serious problem for Israel then it seems to me that you are suggesting that Hamas is made up of people not able to comprehend available evidence to the contrary.
the French, Dutch, etc resistance that blew up train lines etc while their countries were occupied by the Nazi's never for a second thought it would bring the Hitlerite cabal to its knees
It was simply to assuage a sense of powerlessness and give them a tinge of a bloody nose
Fair play really

It's not just Hamas though is it? A lot of these rockets are being fired by random people on their own.

I would say that if I was a Palestinian living in Gaza hearing about rockets in Israel would give me a psychological boost yes.
Indeed. The Abu Ali Mustafa Brigade (the armed wing of the PFLP) also claim to have fired rockets. Bibi wants this to look as though it's all about Hamas. It isn't.
http://pflp.ps/english/2014/07/11/a...e-fired-over-80-rockets-against-the-occupier/

E2A: You have to pass through a gate to read the article.

Last edited:
Uncle Joe asked his troops to bite out the throat of a German with their dying breath if necessary
They did that
Out manned and gunned, dying by the thousands, the kept Stalingrad
Later the Nazis were royally bumfucked from all sides
This is the motivation
Respect

Are you on drugs?

Haaretz live updates are surprisingly candid.

8:24 P.M. IDF artillery shell hits hospital in Beit Hanoun, according to eyewitness Palestinian reports. Hospital personnel, civilians and volunteers from the International Solidarity Movement are trapped inside. Earlier Friday, an IDF shell hit a private ambulance on its way to pick up wounded. According to Gaza's Health Ministry, one medic was killed and another was seriously wounded.

Overnight, the IDF struck al-Dora Hospital in Gaza. a one-year-old baby hospitalized in the intensive care unit was killed and 30 other patients were wounded.

Uncle Joe asked his troops to bite out the throat of a German with their dying breath if necessary
They did that
Out manned and gunned, dying by the thousands, the kept Stalingrad
Later the Nazis were royally bumfucked from all sides
This is the motivation
Respect

TBF Uncle Joe had very little to do with that, Chuikov deserves far more of the credit.

They hit the airport or not so far from the airport in tel aviv. There are a few rockets Hamas allegedly has which are able to hit targets in the west bank. And I read a report about "Hamas drones" (although this might be wishful thinking) shot down over southern Israel on a Palestinian website. None of this is in terms of firepower or numbers anywhere near the numbers that Israel has but I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Hamas rockets are having no effect on Israel whatsoever. Then there's the psychological boost which they must give the Palestinians which is not to be exaggerated.

The Hamas "drones" were not armed but merely to survey the build up of the IDF and their positions. Think stuff you can buy off Amazon, not heavily armed Predators/Reapers of Israel costing over 10 million each plus the cost of the missiles.

If it weren't for Hezbollah tied down by ISIS and US/KSA/Israeli funded terrorists in Syria this could well have been a precursor to a tipping point in Palestine. Hezbollah have taught Hamas well.

It's hard to see how Israel can keep this up much longer. It's tourism industry is dead & 60,000 reservists have been taken from the workforce. Although it's nice to see how women's rights are respected.......as long as they're Israeli.
According to the IDF Spokesman who would not release exact figures, the thousands of women currently serving in reserves are a higher percentage than in any previous IDF operation. They serve in a variety of capacities, but especially in combat support in the Home Front Command, Intelligence, the Air Force and field operations.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/women-reservists-called-up-in-unprecedented-numbers/

It's hard to see how Israel can keep this up much longer. It's tourism industry is dead & 60,000 reservists have been taken from the workforce. Although it's nice to see how women's rights are respected.......as long as they're Israeli.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/women-reservists-called-up-in-unprecedented-numbers/

Respected?
_76522504_1910446_1515432625352946_7753021796588606542_n.jpg

surely you can understand why many Palestinians would be pleased that the rocket-firing was allegedly having this effect?

I could understand it if they believed it, yes.
the French, Dutch, etc resistance that blew up train lines etc while their countries were occupied by the Nazi's never for a second thought it would bring the Hitlerite cabal to its knees
It was simply to assuage a sense of powerlessness and give them a tinge of a bloody nose
Fair play really

Fair play really

But disrupting supply lines by blowing up train tracks did cause problems for the Nazi's. I dont see how rockets which are incapable of causing damage to infrastructure and which barely ever even kill anyone can be understood as the same thing.

Fair play really

But disrupting supply lines by blowing up train tracks did cause problems for the Nazi's. I dont see how rockets which are incapable of causing damage to infrastructure and which barely ever even kill anyone can be understood as the same thing.

And they were done for an external power that was coming. I think that hipipol's needs to read a bit more of resistance history. They were provided with exact targets that when met helped that wider coming power. A facile comparison.

@SkyNewsBreak: U.S. official says the Israeli PM told U.S. Secretary of State that #Israel agrees to 12-hour ceasefire in #Gaza beginning from 7am tomorrow.

A 12 hour 'humanitarian' ceasefire. We'll see.

Most Israelis are at least 2 generations away from the Shoah, and proportionately, there are probably more Jews in the European diaspora who lost family to the Nazis, than who made aliyah. This isn't about a deep-rooted psychological trauma stemming from Hitler's murderousness, it was a plain and simple decision, by Palestinian Jews and European and US Zionists during the Mandate, that the state of Israel should be a tabula rasa - a blank slate where history could be re-written - and even though failed (by dint of the mandated removal of Palestinian Arabs from their land not being successful), the state of Israel has worked hard to "unmake" the historic presence and entitlement of Palestinian Arabs to their lands. There was, for example, a wholesale re-writing of the cartography of the territory, with Hebraicised names given to places that had borne Arab names for 10 centuries or more.

It isn't about trauma,, it's about a cynical "smash and grab" that is tolerated and even encouraged by the US because it suits their geo-strategic interests.
Yeah and most British people are at least two generations away from the Somme.

Tweets from the ground saying increase in shelling - ambulance targeted again (two today) & shelling very close to Al-Shifa hospital damaging perimeter wall.

Are they going hell for leather before 7am?

Yeah and most British people are at least two generations away from the Somme.
I have family who were killed in the war (the closest one wasn't jewish by the way) and its insulting because there are people of Palestinian descent I consider my friends and I have no desire to steal anyone's land and kill kids based on what Hitler did, if you go down this line of argument you end up excusing Israel's crimes.

@JamesWr60729527: #BeitHanoun hospital has taken several direct hits. People injured and attempting to evacuate to another floor.

@JamesWr60729527: Fred Ekbald at #BeitHanoun hospital says medical staff are injured too and there are a number of people trapped.

@ISMPalestine: ISMer in Beit Hanoun hospital: 'right now we think patients on 2nd floor are ok, but we can't move them & the shelling is continuing'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom