Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Significant pr damage and international isolation for Israel, also it might make people think twice before, say, sending their kid on a birthright tour

It might - or it might make parents who were thinking about sending their kid on a birthright tour more likely to do so. It would cause pr damage I guess, but what difference will that make? And what is the outcome of a more isolated Israel? Does the Israeli working class move further towards the terror state or do they rebel against it? Does Israel recognise it must be less bullish if it operates without international support or does it dig in even further and unleash god knows what misery on the Middle East?

It might - or it might make parents who were thinking about sending their kid on a birthright tour more likely to do so. It would cause pr damage I guess, but what difference will that make? And what is the outcome of a more isolated Israel? Does the Israeli working class move further towards the terror state or do they rebel against it? Does Israel recognise it must be less bullish if it operates without international support or does it dig in even further and unleash god knows what misery on the Middle East?
Similar arguments were made about htat other apartheid state (the RCP were very fond of doing so). And I'm not sure of the (thoroughly bought off) Israeli working-class can move much more towards the terror state - 87% support for bombing children already.

Corrected for you infant

Gee, thanks. Y'kno if you're gonna pull the patronising "I'm a mature adult" you could try responding to my analysis instead of attempting to claim some kind of aged wisdom and dismissing what I say on the basis of 'yoof' and 'inexperience'. You know full well that if you did that in a political meeting you'd be kicked out and if you did it in a bar you'd by sparked out.

captain. not lieutenant.

Ah - the Wikipedia article on her killing refers to him as both; though of course (and apologies if people knew this already) it goes without saying that he was subsequently promoted to Major, was acquitted of even the joke charges that they tried him for, got compensation for his time inside and successfully sued people who had reported on the story.

I guess he just had better lawyers than Hayb did.

"@Omar_Gaza: people, I am still alive. thank U for ur concern. power has been off for 4 days now, no signs of it returning anytime soon."

"@AYAHUMAIDM: Today I can tweet, seconds, minutes, hours maybe days later, I don't know where I could be, because everyone is targeted in #Gaza."

Similar arguments were made about htat other apartheid state (the RCP were very fond of doing so). And I'm not sure of the (thoroughly bought off) Israeli working-class can move much more towards the terror state - 87% support for bombing children already.

I think we already discussed that that particular poll was very dodgy - though I don't doubt that the percentage is high. And I don't think its realistic to speak of a "bought off" working class at a time when the Israeli state is bombing Palestinians and quietly carrying out privatisations and cut backs. We can speculate about the attitudes of Israeli workers but it simply isn't possible to 'buy them off' in the same way the Apartheid state did.

Similar arguments were made about the Apartheid state, sometimes rightly imo. I'm not against all boycotts or sanctions but I don't think they can be useful as a blanket approach. Perhaps the most important lesson of South Africa is that none of the sanctions ever did make much difference anyway - AngloPlatinum, Barclays, Lonmin - all these huge manufacturing and financial powerhouses stayed in South Africa right up until the end. When they saw Apartheid was ending, they didn't leave, just got on with the job of buying off the ANC.

If the zionist entity can murder innocent babies so nonchalantly, they are capable of doing anything.

It's not about what they're capable of though is it? They'll do anything to brutalise the Palestinian population, but why would they antagonise a significant section of Jewish Israeli's? What would be the motivation? Surely the Haredi aren't that much of a problem for them?

There's something strange here.

These tweets, apparently by Gabriele Barbati, have been circulating on right-wing and Israeli media as "proof" that Hamas rockets were responsible.

Googling Gabriele Barbati, he seems reasonably balanced and broadly sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. Not the type of person who'd post a couple of one line tweets supportive of the IDF and then just fuck off.

Curious stuff.

There's something strange here.

These tweets, apparently by Gabriele Barbati, have been circulating on right-wing and Israeli media as "proof" that Hamas rockets were responsible.

Googling Gabriele Barbati he seems reasonably balanced and broadly sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. Not the type of person who'd post a couple of one line tweets supportive of the IDF and then just fuck off.

Curious stuff.
Its his account. He claims that his tweets are being deliberately manipulated now -but about later reporting. I guess deliberate mistranslation of his words? But they are there to read.

Last edited:
It's not about what they're capable of though is it? They'll do anything to brutalise the Palestinian population, but why would they antagonise a significant section of Jewish Israeli's? What would be the motivation? Surely the Haredi aren't that much of a problem for them?

Eh? What are you talking about? Haneen Zoabi is Palestinian of origin.

I think we already discussed that that particular poll was very dodgy - though I don't doubt that the percentage is high. And I don't think its realistic to speak of a "bought off" working class at a time when the Israeli state is bombing Palestinians and quietly carrying out privatisations and cut backs. We can speculate about the attitudes of Israeli workers but it simply isn't possible to 'buy them off' in the same way the Apartheid state did.

Similar arguments were made about the Apartheid state, sometimes rightly imo. I'm not against all boycotts or sanctions but I don't think they can be useful as a blanket approach. Perhaps the most important lesson of South Africa is that none of the sanctions ever did make much difference anyway - AngloPlatinum, Barclays, Lonmin - all these huge manufacturing and financial powerhouses stayed in South Africa right up until the end. When they saw Apartheid was ending, they didn't leave, just got on with the job of buying off the ANC.
The Histradut is, an always has been, a key part of he Zionist agenda. It will always be avowedly Zionist and will never be part of a solution (see its refusal to organise migrant workers, for example). There has never been an example of workers mobilising around material or trade-union issues to challenge the Israeli regime itself, all that has happened is that they have become more and more supportive of the state. That poll may be distinctly dodgy, but there can't be any doubt about who the large majority of the w-c are supporting.

The Histradut is, an always has been, a key part of he Zionist agenda. It will always be avowedly Zionist and will never be part of a solution (see its refusal to organise migrant workers, for example). There has never been an example of workers mobilising around material or trade-union issues to challenge the Israeli regime itself, all that has happened is that they have become more and more supportive of the state. That poll may be distinctly dodgy, but there can't be any doubt about who the large majority of the w-c are supporting.

I didn't mention Histradrut. I don't disagree that it's leadership are totally wedded to the Zionist project either. I don't understand your response though - I'm sure we would both agree that the TUC leadership in Britain is wedded to capitalism and will never challenge the state, but I wouldn't expect you to then write off the TUC's grassroots membership as a result.

As for workers challenging the Israeli regime on material or trade union issues, well it depends what you mean. In recent years it has become more common for Jewish and Palestinian Israeli's to go on strike together - is that not a positive development?

E2A: I really don't understand your response. Weren't we talking about sanctions?

"@Beltrew
Senior Israeli official tells BBC they've neutralised 70-80% of Hamas' tunnels & need few days more to complete the task."

Anyone get the feeling that that's a load of horse shit as per, & Benny is starting to feel the heat from certain quarters?

No fucking way have they neutralised that many tunnels. Although, how do you neutralise a tunnel exactly?

Something will happen in the next 15 years. The demographic timebomb that the zionists fear will explode soon. It will be a minority brutally repressing a majority. Such situations have always ended in mass bloodshed.

Hence the state of Israel's increasingly-desperate trawling through the world to find Jews (or possible Jews) to emigrate to the Holy Land, to prop up the population, and squeeze a few more years in before the demographic timebomb detonates.

No fucking way have they neutralised that many tunnels. Although, how do you neutralise a tunnel exactly?

3 main ways:

1) Air-drop ground-penetrating munitions on likely targets. This costs the least Israeli lives, but given that many of these tunnels will be maybe 8ft x 6ft max, the cost in munitions will be very high - a lot of them will just make craters, rather than bursting tunnels.

2) Penetrate the tunnels with troops, blow them from the inside. This is by far the most costly method in terms of Israeli lives, and would depend on breaching scores of separate tunnel access and egress points, each of which is likely to be the nexus for a crossfire from defensive positions.

3) Ceasefire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom