Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Garlic bread vs prawn toast?

Which is bestest?

• Total voters
Both great obvs, but they each go with completely different food.

If I had to eat one as a standalone it would be prawn toast though, as they're lighter and more dainty, and thus more scoffable. However, if we're looking for a product to rival that from the garlic bread world I'd suggest the mighty Dough Balls.

FbvCCeu.jpg

I vote prawn toast as long as it's made with real prawns not fish paste because you could live on it for longer. Not much protein in garlic bread.

Both great obvs, but they each go with completely different food.

If I had to eat one as a standalone it would be prawn toast though, as they're lighter and more dainty, and thus more scoffable. However, if we're looking for a product to rival that from the garlic bread world I'd suggest the mighty Dough Balls.

FbvCCeu.jpg
Dough balls, dipped in garlic butter. Heavenly. But, arguably, a garlic bread variation.

Garlic bread made using proper homemade garlic butter is great. Bonus points if it is also homemade bread. Those ready-made hyper-processed packaged garlic breads, on the other hand, are really a bit shit.

I've only ever had prawn toast in a restaurant, where it has been pretty good, if instantly forgettable.

I have no ranking system between the two.

I agree that tinned sardines on toast beats both of them.

I'm struggling to accept that people don't know about prawn toast. Fucking heathens :facepalm:

I've checked and my local does have this mysterious thing on their menu so today might be the day of first ever prawn toast. This could be the most useful thing i've ever discovered via this website. But ..Is deep fried sliced white eggy bread an ancient Chinese tradition or what?:D

Three reasons I voted garlic bread:

1. Vegetarian, so no choice.
2. Never heard of prawn toast before this thread.
3. Prawn toast sound rank anyway. Prawn toast? Prawn toast? :sicks a little in mouth:

Is deep fried sliced white eggy bread an ancient Chinese tradition or what?:D
Apparently it's originally a Japanese 'fusion' dish and got into the Cantonese dim sum repertoire from there. Not all Chinese food is ancient. Last time I was in Beijing I was repeatedly sneered at for trying to order stuff that had been fashionable ten years before and everyone was eating mashed yam with blueberry jam :sickface:

Which reminds me, why is fried cabbage called seaweed??
The vast majority of British Chinese takeaways are still working from cookbooks circulated by their clan societies when they moved from Hong Kong in the 60s and 70s. Evidently someone involved in the creation of these cookbooks thought that this would give the impression of an exotic vegetable (real seaweed not being available in Britain at the time).

I have deliberated on this questions since last night and I decided garlic bread wins. Not because it's better...it's just more versatile and I think if I was on a desert island with one food forever, I'd get sick of prawn toast before I got sick of garlic bread.

Scores pretty even so far, even though the prawners are the most vocal on here. Shy veggies? Mebbe.

Quality is key in both cases, but unless really overcooked, sesame prawn toast is always slightly yummy (and can be utterly delicious).

Garlic bread on the other hand can be rendered inedible just by cooling down a bit. I particularly loathe those individual slices (4 per portion) beloved of Pizza Hut and their copy cats. Too dry by far.

Back
Top Bottom