Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

I'm not wedded to the idea that they were crap, but these were no Jason Bournes. The media's go-to security analysts, of course, earn their living and their status by being prepared to speculate about Al Quaeda or ISIL's terrifying capabilities and immediate plans for carnage. So they'd be likely to look out for signs of competence, rather than the reverse.
Maybe, but the attack on the police car suggests they were at the very least physically competent.

Odd. All I can find in the article itself is a reference to:

one of them was already tried in 2008, as part of an operation against a chain Iraqi jihadist based in 19th arrondissement of Paris.

...which would be the charge of trying to help others go to Iraq (or to Syria), wouldn't it? I think La R is jumping the gun. Which doesn't prove it false, either...

I would actually accept the concept, that those people are not Muslims.
You're still getting it wrong; they are, it's just that their reading of Islam is not the majority one. Your problem was not that you called those murderers Muslims, but that you tarred all Muslims as supporting Murder. It really isn't hard, and I know you have the capacity to grasp it.

From your link: But others were more cautious, saying the attackers did not appear to have completed a thorough reconnaissance of their target or gathered much intelligence about it. Instructors from al-Qaida have long told volunteers to prioritise both. According to witnesses, the three men initially went to the wrong address before finding the proper one, only gaining access by chance and going up the wrong staircase. They also had to ask the whereabouts of targets.

I'm not wedded to the idea that they were crap, but these were no Jason Bournes. The media's go-to security analysts, of course, earn their living and their status by being prepared to speculate about Al Quaeda or ISIL's terrifying capabilities and immediate plans for carnage. So they'd be likely to look out for signs of competence, rather than the reverse.

Also, there are the commentators with military training who can't imagine how anyone could pull of anything without, er, military training. D'oh.

From La Repubblica:

The two brothers, Said and Cherif, 32 and 34 years, they would be recognized thanks to the identity card found by police in the Citroen C3 abandoned by the bombers during their flight near the Porte de Pantin, in Paris.

Yes, that's fair. But it all suggests that the planning was rather open-ended. The only point I was trying to make is that a gang of three people identified only as Islamist terrorists, who might pop up anywhere, taking out Rushdie one day and Jerry Falwell the next with ruthless and unstoppable efficiency, is rather more scary, and breeds more Islamophobia, than three chaps in custody. That's reasonable, surely?
Well obviously the idea of efficient "unstoppable" jihadis would be very scary...but that's more nonsense. The islamophobia and fear will be engineered by the usual suspects irrespective of the fate of these three gunmen.
Describing them as 'crap' helps no-one.

Why the inverted commas? Because I have profound doubts about the Muslim ideals. <snip>
And none at all about the Christian ideals, ever?
<snip>It is debatable as to whether it should be classified as a faith, or as a patriarchal system of command and control. I find it absolutely astonishing that anyone who regards themselves as a feminist can espouse the tenets of Islam. Sharia law is deeply biased against women. <snip>
I put it to you that Islam, at the time of its formulation, was revolutionary, including granting women and girls rights which they hadn't previously enjoyed in Arabia.
Polygamy was a way of providing women with some chance of protection and support when warfare made men so scarce that monogamy would have been impractical. And that was balanced by only being allowed if each of the wives were not only treated equally but loved equally.

At its best, Islam (in the Koran, not just the Hadith) exhorts both sexes to seek education and knowlege even if it means going to the ends of the earth for it.

It permits women and girls to work, earn a living, own property, and even keep any money they earn, at a time when most European culture was far less advanced.

It forbids infanticide. It encourages self control, and if you can't control yourself, codifies how to avoid temptation. It requires that widows, orphans, and other people in a vulnerable situation be treated fairly. It requires that hostages and POWs be treated well, at a time when that wasn't common practice in Europe. It discourages showing off, exploitation, and conspicuous consumption.
I don't claim that it's perfect, but neither is any type of Christianity (or any other religion or ethical system) when practised blindly, misinterpreted, and with the wrong attitude behind it.

I can think of any number of reasons for an ID card to be left in the car, all of which aremore likely than the actual killers leaving their own ID there. Ridiculous.

According to Le Monde, military observers say they acted like they'd been well trained (how they moved/military type formations/acting calmly and coldly/how they used their weapons) and said that they 'hypothetically fitted the profile of men who'd returned from Syria.'

That would indeed be a significant escalation.

But I bet they didn't.
Why? Hundred of French Jihadis have been in Syria, training ground for sick cunts like this to come back and carry out such acts. Far right are going to be all over this. :(

My understanding was that they spoke perfectly fluent French. May have got that wrong.

It was poor quality audio, it was hard to make out what was being said and there were other voices but in the footage that has been posted online they sound like French accents to me.

I could be very wrong for a number of reasons,

It was poor quality audio, it was hard to make out what was being said and there were other voices but in the footage that has been posted online they sound like French accents to me.

I could be very wrong for a number of reasons,

Latest reports are that they're all from Gennevilliers, with two being born in Paris and the other in Rheims.

According to Le Monde, military observers say they acted like they'd been well trained (how they moved/military type formations/acting calmly and coldly/how they used their weapons) and said that they 'hypothetically fitted the profile of men who'd returned from Syria.'

Yabbut. What I said about commentators with military training and a (consequent) lack of imagination.

According to whom Reclaim the Streets didn't happen :D

Would be incredibly "Four Lions" if they'd really left an ID in the car. Almost too ridiculous to believe really.

Yabbut. What I said about commentators with military training and a (consequent) lack of imagination.

According to whom Reclaim the Streets didn't happen :D

Was more about Syria -- couldn't find any mention of it apart from the 'hypothetical' thing quoted.

One thought that I keep thinking of, as I did after the Woolwich murder or after any number of the beheading videos. Imagine being the kid or wife or mum of one of the victims, you cannot escape the footage of the brutal murder of your loved one. It's there forever, and everywhere.

Sirena - unless the quoting is more messed up than I think - said:
Almost as bad - if you're a hijacker - as allowing your passport to be found in the rubble of the world trade centre?

And the 7/7 bombers. But those were all suicide attacks.

The hypothesis that this was supposed to be a suicide attack but went wrong gets very, very messy very, very fast...

BBC headline just reported the suspects include 'two Algerian brothers'. According to the French, they were born in Paris -- assume they mean 'Algerian origin'...? :mad:

ETA They've now just said Algerian origin or descent or something.

I don't claim that it's perfect, but neither is any type of Christianity (or any other religion or ethical system) when practised blindly, misinterpreted, and with the wrong attitude behind it.

Not MY religion! Mine is perfect in every way. How dare anyone say otherwise!

Well, no - but whom, or what, does it hinder?
Though this is pretty insignificant....if, as it appears above, you have accepted that it was inaccurate or misleading to describe the jihadis as "crap", anyone perceiving your earlier posting as credible would have been misled.

But, as you say...you're no longer "wedded" to the term...so we can move on.

Not MY religion! Mine is perfect in every way. How dare anyone say otherwise!
Yours, mine, theirs, everyone's. All potentially flawed, all potentially helpful to people when trying to behave better in spite of themselves.

The close grouping of the shots in the windscreen of the police car, particularly as the rifles were on single shot as against automatic, is in itself a strong indication of familiarity and competence with weapons, as well as confidence in themselves to dispatch (unlike say Mumbai) precisely those they had targeted.

Back
Top Bottom