Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

tbh military hand signals aren't exactly a state secret. :rolleyes: any terrorist worth his salt is going to have carried out some training, and when ears might be ringing from gunshots using signals a fairly obvious thing to do.
Fair point, but going off the footage it seems reasonable to assume they would be wearing 'plug in' ear defenders.

You can chart the reasons why Islamists have gained politically in the last few decades. But they will still be Islamists doing Islamist things and justifying them with their particular interpretation of the Quran.

I don't have any answers really. I got it very wrong about the UK. Twenty years ago, I assumed that the second and third generation Pakistani British would turn out generally less religious and more secular in their outlook than their parents and grandparents. I was wrong.
But were you? Have you a link regarding the proportion of those generations? Possibly you might find the majority have taken the road you envisioned (I had the same thoughts) but the small minority who didn't are the ones grabbing the headlines?

Steve-Bell-08.01.15-014.jpg

Bells' take on it all.
My god, he's crap

He's always crap. Have never understood why people go on about how good he is. Baffling.

Never understood why Bell is so rated. He's got a good eye for a caricature, but his cartoons just recycle the same old shite all the time. FFS Matt in the Telegraph is way more incisive.

Never understood why Bell is so rated. He's got a good eye for a caricature, but his cartoons just recycle the same old shite all the time. FFS Matt in the Telegraph is way more incisive.

He does a good line in Condom Dave.....but that was shit.

I'd have just sent this in if I was him
1904.jpg

I don't know why people are scared of those shitbags. It's not even religious it's some gangster thing and you can't see it at all you pretend it's relevant to your history club. It's a criminal organisation

This isn't really about Islam. It is political. Anybody blaming Islam would do well to think about history rather than prejudice.

Mentioned few pages back was the massacre of Algerians by Maurice Papon in 1961. The film Cache by Michael Hanake is partly inspired by those events, about how repression of history can lead to outbursts of violence, that the tranquility enjoyed by the privileged is based on historical violence.

There are lessons to be learned here, and none of them are really about Islam.

I read Cache with the Iraq war in mind, thanks

Yeah likewise, the nazis weren't really racist when you understand it through the prism of a lot of theories

I mean, what is anything man.

This appears to be a case of French citizens killing other (extremely famous) French citizens, including the armed police there to protect them, in the centre of Paris, in the middle of the day, and escaping (thus far) and you would prefer to see the operational significance disregarded for fear the perpetrators appearing "attractive". To whom?

I'm not saying that at all, they were clearly more competent than many recent attackers. But talking up their 'professionalism' was premature speculation rather than fact. As more facts emerge they appear basically trained soldiers and ragged if ruthless assassins.

I'm not sure why you would ask who the notion of super efficient jihadist warriors would appeal to as if enough young people in the UK and France haven't already jumped ship to go to Syria and join IS at the great distress of their families.

Back
Top Bottom