Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

What a truly fucked up religion. Kinda sick of hearing the excuses now.

It's not the religion, it's people. There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world. Do you think they all go murdering? You don't think atheists have murdered people en masse over philosophical differences (Stalin comes to mind)? People are just fucked up.

These cunts that murdered, had they fallen into a different kind of murdering crowd- let's say mobsters, instead of rightwing fanatics that brainwashed them, probably would have still murdered.

I was under the impression that to avenge implied more righteous retribution than mere 'payback'. Small point really, I suppose?

Avenge & revenge share the same root, but 'avenge' now has a meaning associated with a legitimate response - 'avenged through the legal system' rather than 'an extra judicial revenge killing'. I really don't want to derail the thread with linguistics - I would be more comfortable with a more straightforward headline ('French satirical magazine office attacked by gunmen, many killed') that didn't ascribe motive yet, but it's small fuckin potatoes when this shit is happening in Paris.

Avenge & revenge share the same root, but 'avenge' now has a meaning associated with a legitimate response - 'avenged through the legal system' rather than 'an extra judicial revenge killing'. I really don't want to derail the thread with linguistics - I would be more comfortable with a more straightforward headline ('French satirical magazine office attacked by gunmen, many killed') that didn't ascribe motive yet, but it's small fuckin potatoes when this shit is happening in Paris.
Yes, it is.

Some examples of the work of the four dead cartoonists at Comics Reporter illustrating just how similar they are...

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/stephane_charbonnier_charb_rip/
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/jean_cabut_cabu_rip/
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/bernard_verlhac_tignous_rip/
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/georges_wolinski_rip/

Fair to say they mostly weren't well known outside France however many of Georges Wolinski's cartoons from May '68 were widely reprinted at the time

ZL93UoB.png

N4ksKwS.png
I should, of course, have put "similar style" in inverted commas.

Every newspaper & TV station should now publish cartoons that mock Islam. All at once, on every peice of media. There has to be a united response to these cunts.

Its part of the human condition to mock, to call out & question

Every newspaper & TV station should now publish cartoons that mock Islam. All at once, on every peice of media. There has to be a united response to these cunts.

ONLY IF they mock JWH and the newspaper's owner equally viciously.

(Demanding that they mock Kali would be excessive?)

Terribly high price to be pay for a joke.

So awful for all those affected, hope they catch them soon.

I also hope France can resist the racist backlash these people would so love to see.

Bizarrely I was on another forum where the thread about this is mainly concerned that took a rocket launcher with them at that such a device would be useless inside a building - missing the point think.

I also hope France can resist the racist backlash these people would so love to see.

Bizarrely I was on another forum where the thread about this is mainly concerned that took a rocket launcher with them at that such a device would be useless inside a building - missing the point think.
It wasn't a joke, especially for that magazine, republishing the cartoon after the controversy when it was published in Denmark.

The RPG was possibly for use in case of a police patrol car happening to be really nearby.

regarding the magazine, from what i can find on the net, the magazine did start as a left-ish magazine, the current director is a supporter of Israel and has been accused of being a neocon lover of Bush and Sharon
Thank you for that.

People who are thinking this is about freedom of speech should ponder whether a magazine which constantly returned to a screaming anti-islamic propaganda (because the editor/owner was neocon) was a satirical magazine or a provocative and racist propaganda tool.

Its part of the human condition to mock, to call out & question

Not to speculate, but perhaps giving 1.6bn muslims the impression that everyone in the western world is united in revulsion at their religion might not be the best thing for future world peace.

I really hope that those gathering this evening won't feel the need to parade the offending cartoons, not because I believe they should be censored but because it may cause more disharmony than already exists. I think there will be many Muslims out this evening in solidarity with the victims of today's atrocity.

But Britains favourite comedy film is Monty Pythons Life of Brian, a film that mocks Christianity

What a shocking double standard, its ok to mock one section of society but not another because they have guns. I thought Modern Parents was satire

The Muslim 'faith' is not a race.

Apparently there is an 'anti-islamist' rally on the 18th in Paris and Tommy is tweeting all should go on it, I though he had 'reformed'

Back
Top Bottom