Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

Perhaps someone could tweet her back (not on it myself) to tell her that Hebdomadaire means weekly. There's nothing mensch about that woman.

Perhaps someone could tweet her back (not on it myself) to tell her that Hebdomadaire means weekly. There's nothing mensch about that woman.

i would but she seems to have blocked me. she is pretty thin skinned for a fearless warrior of freedom

1508153_10153011397837463_5852514373182061933_n.jpg

:facepalm:
Christ, she's dense. :facepalm:

i was thinking more of weather they would want to, raster than if they would be able to.

my first thought was similar-ish to butchers - "who's next?" - but the apparent level of organisation, reports of them calling journalists by name etc makes me think otherwise.

It hasn't generally been the Islamic Terrorist thing to merge back into cover after an outrage and plan more. If they do then it's another worrying development.

Most likely outcome I'd have thought is that they are soon discovered and the whole thing ends in a nasty shoot out. If so they will choose a blaze of glory/cruelty. May have already prepared for it.

(It's a small detail in a large & horrible event, & I don't want to bicker about it or get distracted by it, but I agree with you about the use of 'obscene' and 'revenge' in the thread title - I don't think they're accurate.)

Is your issue with the word 'revenge' based upon the fact that it is reported that the gunmen used the word 'avenge'(d)?

not meaning to be pedantick, but i was under the impression many of the 1961 victims were drowned - that is, they were alive when they entered the water.

Many were still alive, flung over the bridge like bags of rubbish. There's a documentary about it, but its not for the fainthearted.

2m ago16:58

Radio France, Le Monde and France Télévisions have put out a statement saying they will offer staff and other support to help the Charlie Hebdo magazine “continue to live”.

They invite all French media to do the same, “to defend the principles of independence, freedom of thought and expression, the guarantors of our democracy”.

Interesting.

It hasn't generally been the Islamic Terrorist thing to merge back into cover after an outrage and plan more. If they do then it's another worrying development.

Most likely outcome I'd have thought is that they are soon discovered and the whole thing ends in a nasty shoot out. If so they will choose a blaze of glory/cruelty. May have already prepared for it.
I was thinking more, it's very unlikely that they will be caught. If they planned carefully. But I would love them to be caught and stand trial.

no, it isn't. and it *is* just idle speculation based on nothing more than a hunch.

agreed on the last power though. they'll not likely be getting arrested whatever their next move.

Many were still alive, flung over the bridge like bags of rubbish. There's a documentary about it, but its not for the fainthearted.

Saw that years ago, first I'd ever heard of it and thought it must be some kind of sick spoof. Well shocked it was factual :(

Is your issue with the word 'revenge' based upon the fact that it is reported that the gunmen used the word 'avenge'(d)?

Because using 'revenge' sets up a causal process where y happened because of x (with x in English usage tending to be a legitimate offence, a wrong-doing) & I think this attack is too disproportionately violent to explain as 'revenge for a cartoon', and too complicated to reduce to 'cartoon offended men - men wreaked revenge'. How did these men end up doing that today? 'Revenge' seems insufficient - if that makes sense.

Because using 'revenge' sets up a causal process where y happened because of x (with x in English usage tending to be a legitimate offence, a wrong-doing) & I think this attack is too disproportionately violent to explain as 'revenge for a cartoon', and too complicated to reduce to 'cartoon offended men - men wreaked revenge'. How did these men end up doing that today? 'Revenge' seems insufficient - if that makes sense.
Yeah it's like saying, why did you kill my mum? It was revenge because you stole £50 off me.

The semantics of avenge could be different.

Yeah it's like saying, why did you kill my mum? It was revenge because you stole £50 off me.

The semantics of avenger could be different.
But isn't vengeance usually associated with some notion of 'justice' being done? Whereas revenge is generally regarded as more concerned with causing harm without necessarily relating to any form of 'justice'?

According to media reports the the gunmen chose to use the former.

Back
Top Bottom