Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

1508153_10153011397837463_5852514373182061933_n.jpg

:facepalm:

"Which one's Pink?"

But isn't vengeance usually associated with some notion of 'justice' being done? Whereas revenge is generally regarded as more concerned with causing harm without necessarily relating to any form of 'justice'?

No, they both relate to notions of justice.

Do explain, what should be the response to these fascists?
She thought Charlie was a person, rather than a weekly magazine. Her Twitter feed then has her wriggling out, after being corrected, by saying she thought all the cartoons were by the same guy (she opines "it must be a man") as they have a similar style.

Good luck trying to write an appropriate title, I agree it needed a new thread personally. Or you need a good sub editor editor

Your conflation is more amusing tbf.

Nope, I don't know what that means, sorry.

Why do you find it hard to believe you can be well-educated and articulate and capable of murder for a cause in a suicide attack or similar? That turned out to be the profile of the 9-11 hijackers, for example.

Yes that's the case there but it doesn't really matter whether they have PHDs or not. Their acts are barbaric, base and degrading. And I'd apply that to officers of the law who shoot citizens, as well.

And if myself and several million others think of such wanton taking of lives as savage, so be it. Articulate and educated perhaps. But bloody, brutal, barbaric, inhuman? Definitely.

I'm going to ignore the sanctimonious attention seeking troll (well, apart from in this sentence about ignoring him lol). But, thinking if consequences closer to home, assuming it is what it looks like I'm guessing the likes of the edl, (probably bnp and possibly ukip as well) will try and use this to their advantage as they did with Rigby - how much capital do we think they'll gain out of it? I think it unlikely that it will draw in anyone who's not been involved before but well it be enough to pull people back who'd become inactive/disinterested?

Those fuckwits definitely just made life a lot harder for Muslims in France, that's for sure.

Pegida will grow.

Liberation reporting Cabu (the cartoonist) and Charb (editorial director) have both been killed. Five people are critical. No confirmation that a rocket launcher was used but reports that kalashnikovs were. A CH journalist claimed that there was an editorial meeting going on at the time which is why so many people were in the office. Also reports the attackers asked for named journalists.

I watched a documentary which interviewed these people, very very sad,

I wouldn't want to be a muslim in Paris right now. French police will be looking for revenge.

I remember arriving in Paris on a train in 86 while I was inter-railing, the Algerian GIA were letting off bombs all over the city, I quickly scarpered, the difference now is tolerance levels are much lower and the right in various forms is on the march.

I remember arriving in Paris on a train in 86 while I was inter-railing, the Algerian GIA were letting off bombs all over the city, I quickly scarpered, the difference now is tolerance levels are much lower and the right in various forms is on the march.

wtf does that mean?

I was under the impression that to avenge implied more righteous retribution than mere 'payback'. Small point really, I suppose?

Their etymology is directly linked, though I see what you mean about the term 'avenge' being used with more righteous connotations. I suspect that is mostly down to popular culture.

She thought Charlie was a person, rather than a weekly magazine. Her Twitter feed then has her wriggling out, after being corrected, by saying she thought all the cartoons were by the same guy (she opines "it must be a man") as they have a similar style.
Some examples of the work of the four dead cartoonists at Comics Reporter illustrating just how similar they are...

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/stephane_charbonnier_charb_rip/
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/jean_cabut_cabu_rip/
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/bernard_verlhac_tignous_rip/
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/georges_wolinski_rip/

Fair to say they mostly weren't well known outside France however many of Georges Wolinski's cartoons from May '68 were widely reprinted at the time

ZL93UoB.png

N4ksKwS.png

Back
Top Bottom