Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

Has the stuff that has happened this weekend (so far) changed your mind ElizabethofYork Silas Loom on the need for counter protests and defending communities ?
thanks

I’d really like to hear from some Urbanites with policing experience on this tbh. Rotherham looks terrifying at the moment. I have no idea how the situation would develop at the holiday inn if there were equal numbers of anti-fascist activists or communitarian self-defence groups involved, but the police look woefully overstretched.

Still not inclined to believe that a ruck between members of the public would help a robust emergency service response. Very perturbed to see that there doesn’t seem to be one.

I’d really like to hear from some Urbanites with policing experience on this tbh. Rotherham looks terrifying at the moment. I have no idea how the situation would develop at the holiday inn if there were equal numbers of anti-fascist activists or communitarian self-defence groups involved, but the police look woefully overstretched.

Still not inclined to believe that a ruck between members of the public would help a robust emergency service response. Very perturbed to see that there doesn’t seem to be one.

Might help the people in that hotel though, who are currently having their windows smashed and watching Fash try to torch their home.

Has the stuff that has happened this weekend (so far) changed your mind ElizabethofYork Silas Loom on the need for counter protests and defending communities ?
thanks

We presumably haven't heard from them because they've been busy carrying out their own master plan for ridding the streets of white nationalist hooligan scum.

Can't remember exactly what that plan involved but it must've been a fucking good plan. So good that it entitled them to offhandedly dismiss a century or more of antifascist organising. Honestly I really look forward to them giving us some feedback on how it went.

Compare it to the Mercure in Bristol last night for starters.

Yeah, I’m aware. As I say, I really want to know what Urban’s cops think, and want to see what is said in the public enquiry about the impact of counter-protesters. But right now, anything would be good - send in the troops, arm dinner ladies. There’s a hotel full of asylum seekers and DV victims that people are trying to set on fire ffs.

We presumably haven't heard from them because they've been busy carrying out their own master plan for ridding the streets of white nationalist hooligan scum.

Can't remember exactly what that plan involved but it must've been a fucking good plan. So good that it entitled them to offhandedly dismiss a century or so of antifascist organising. Honestly I really look forward to them giving us some feedback on how it went.
Aw, my head hurts when you do a sarcasm. 😢😖

It’s absolutely vital that people under siege see ordinary people who are putting their bodies out there, who are showing solidarity not division, empathy not hatred, protection not assault. That has to come from the community. It has to be demonstrated in person. It has to be direct, and not just a vague hope that policing will be enough: let somebody else do it.

It’s absolutely vital that people under siege see ordinary people who are putting their bodies out there, who are showing solidarity not division, empathy not hatred, protection not assault. That has to come from the community. It has to be demonstrated in person. It has to be direct, and not just a vague hope that policing will be enough: let somebody else do it.

When you say “community”, do you mean the local community, and if so how local?

Yeah, I’m aware. As I say, I really want to know what cops think, and want to see what is said in the public enquiry about the impact of counter-protesters. But right now, anything would be good - send in the troops, arm dinner ladies. There’s a hotel full of asylum seekers and DV victims that people are trying to set on fire ffs.
The fuck is wrong with you? The cops standard approach has always been somewhere beteen "go home, nothing to see here", and at best, "the antifascists are as bad as or worse than the fascists, so let's just wade in against the antifash".

Yeah, I’m aware. As I say, I really want to know what cops think,

Who cares what they think, their actions are to leave vulnerable people at the mercy of a vicious fucking mob.

...and want to see what is said in the public enquiry about the impact of counter-protesters.

And if the truth of the matter was that antifascists did what the state could not and prevented riots turning into pogroms, do you think an inquiry run by state actors would accurately report this?

I mean civilians, not uniforms paid to be there.

It would be better if it was appalled Rotherham locals than a busload of bien pensants from nearby big cities, though, right? Both in terms of showing the fascists that they don’t have support, and demonstrating empathy that has some chance of sticking around? But if the main local response available is communitarian and ethnic minority, does that give fascists an excuse to pretend they have the race war they want?

Uniforms just have to be better than autonomous MOPs when fire services and ambulances and public order cops need to be coordinated. And horrifyingly, that’s what seems to be needed at that hotel.

The fuck is wrong with you? The cops standard approach has always been somewhere beteen "go home, nothing to see here", and at best, "the antifascists are as bad as or worse than the fascists, so let's just wade in against the antifash".

Ones who post here. There have been several.

Think highlighting Elizabeth of York isn't great to be honest after their posts earlier in the day about being worried in general about violence at the moment. Because it is scary. Sials was chatting shit though.

Fucking awful scenes in Rotherham.
It's a straight up honest question that I am interested in the answer to after what has happened so far
I agreed with them that it was scary and not abused them in any way

This situation is so different and so much more appalling than anything in recent history that there will definitely be an independent public enquiry, and all sorts of views on the impact of counter protests should and will be considered. I don’t think that standard lines to take will cut it at all.

That's your response?? seriously?

I’m pretty sure it has been locals standing up against the racists in all of these incidents in the last days.

Yes, but “local” for a major demo in Bristol or Manchester means something very different to “local” in Rotherham, where I very much doubt you could easily raise enough people who want to spend their Sunday chanting “there are many many more of us than you” while risking a kicking.

I agree that it's not the thug with the brick that really matters, it's the wider perceptions of millions who say things like I don't condone the violence but I understand the frustrations right now.

including some paid-up leftists on this here message board (no names).

It's a straight up honest question that I am interested in the answer to after what has happened so far
I agreed with them that it was scary and not abused them in any way
No sorry I didn't say you did and that your question wasn't honest. I just felt where they were coming from yesterday even if I didn't agree and wanted to say something but didn't as I was on my way out.

This situation is so different and so much more appalling than anything in recent history that there will definitely be an independent public enquiry, and all sorts of views on the impact of counter protests should and will be considered. I don’t think that standard lines to take will cut it at all.
So in 10 years time, they can all discuss the "evils of immigration" etc.

Back
Top Bottom