Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

Safety car rules

39.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.

Safety car should have stayed out until all lapped cars had passed

So im summary, the referee was wrong but it's also so obscure how could he be expected to know all this while the cars are going around the track at high speed with a few laps to go?

Congrats to Max. I haven’t always agreed with his approach this year, but he‘s driven his little socks off and soundly beaten every teammate in his Red Bull years.

After six years trying, he deserves to win his title and the drama of that last twist in the story is good for the sport I reckon. Lewis has every right to feel hard done by - he deserved to win too, but Max is a worthy winner.

I was supporting Lewis but I can live with this result. F1’s championship year in 2021 will be talked about in the same breath as 2008, and that ain’t bad. :thumbs:

So im summary, the referee was wrong but it's also so obscure how could he be expected to know all this while the cars are going around the track at high speed with a few laps to go?
Again, genuine question rather than rhetorical: is it that obscure? Restarts after SCs are fairly common, and everyone seemed to be surprised some cars were being let through but not all.

Sas lets not start getting political about this

could easily go into do people dislike lewis because of his stance against racism and BLM

Bottas the prefect team mate

no disrespect to you Nico

but lewis thinks you are a c**t :D

I think if anyone can be described as a c**t, this about covers it. Prefix 'idiotic'.

XpMIBwu.jpg

Mercedes have lodged two protests.
It says you can't do what the race director let them do because he wanted to have a racing finish

Regs

48.8 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to h) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track, including the safety car, until he passes the Line
(see Article 5.3) for the first time after the safety car has returned to the pits.
The exceptions are:
a) If a driver is signalled to do so from the safety car.​
b) Under Articles 41.1c), 48.12, 51.6 and 51.12 below.​
c) When entering the pits a driver may pass another car remaining on the track, including the safety car, after he has reached the first safety car line.​
d) When leaving the pits a driver may overtake, or be overtaken by, another car on the track before he reaches the second safety car line.​
e) When the safety car is returning to the pits it may be overtaken by cars on the track once it has reached the first safety car line.​
f) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas.​
g) Any car stopping in its designated garage area whilst the safety car is using the pit lane (see Article 48.11 below) may be overtaken.​
h) If any car slows with an obvious problem.​

48.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.
This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed.
Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.
If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system.

I don’t doubt how hard it is to act as race director in a season such as we’ve had, but boy haven’t we missed Charlie Whiting this year. 😢

I don’t know how history will judge the way this race was run by the FIA, but it doesn’t have the appearance of fairness and transparency which a sport with so much money invested requires. I hope they learn lessons and improve.

ps.. no wonder he struggles to control the race when the teams seem to occupy half his time with whinging via talkback comms. Get him an answerphone!

Back
Top Bottom