Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

Race protest.

My guess: three things will happen.

Mercedes' protest will not achieve what they want. The race outcome will stand. Mercedes will appeal that decision; lawyers will get richer. Nothing will change.

It will be found that the race director made a Horlicks of the safety car restart. Michael Masi will be asked to consider whether he prefers gardening to motor racing. I think he has lost the confidence of too many big players.

Next year there will be an absolute ban on team principals contacting the race director during the race. There have been way too many negotiations in real time.

:rolleyes:

Next year there will be an absolute ban on team principals contacting the race director during the race. There have been way too many negotiations in real time.

Yeah, it’s not been a good look this year with FOM TV sending out Masi’s “so sorry, I hadn’t actually looked at the classification before I tried to haggle with you over where you want to start“ love-in with Red Bull.

Race protest.

My guess: three things will happen.

Mercedes' protest will not achieve what they want. The race outcome will stand. Mercedes will appeal that decision; lawyers will get richer. Nothing will change.

It will be found that the race director made a Horlicks of the safety car restart. Michael Masi will be asked to consider whether he prefers gardening to motor racing. I think he has lost the confidence of too many big players.

Sounds about right!

aside from Rugby which i used to play so it a bit different

F1 Motorsport has been my go to sport since i discovered in the 1994 season aged 11 on bbc, the season we lost senna

this is the first season since then to make me feel conflicted about the result

aside from Rugby which i used to play so it a bit different

F1 Motorsport has been my go to sport since i discovered in the 1994 season aged 11 on bbc, the season we lost senna

this is the first season since then to make me feel conflicted about the result
Even the Senna/Prost, and Schumacher/Hill results I could accept because they were the result of drivers actions on the track. They raced. It was sport.

This season was decided - at multiple points - by a bloke in the race control tower. That’s not sport, it’s entertainment management.

Mercedes won’t get anywhere, the sport will lose too much for any result to get changed now.
FIA won't vote against Masi

even if he made a complete hash of it

its Maxs championship
Aye, have to assume so; would be extremely surprised if they overturned things.

Can Mercedes get anything else out of it, though? And will it be worth it?

Obviously it's very easy for me to say sitting on my sofa hundreds of miles away from the track, but do wonder if they'd have been better off just swallowing it, stewing and moving on. Maybe that would have its own problems though, looking like they weren't fighting for what is actually a fairly legitimate case (from the perspective of my sofa).

Aye, have to assume so; would be extremely surprised if they overturned things.

Can Mercedes get anything else out of it, though? And will it be worth it?

Obviously it's very easy for me to say sitting on my sofa hundreds of miles away from the track, but do wonder if they'd have been better off just swallowing it, stewing and moving on. Maybe that would have its own problems though, looking like they weren't fighting for what is actually a fairly legitimate case (from the perspective of my sofa).
I think Mercedes are looking for an admission that the race decisions taken were wrong. Toto wants a mea culpa.

Even though they won't change the result, the FIA can make a mealy-mouthed statement about needing firmer procedures, etc. etc., which will come along for next year. Toto will be partly mollified.

First protest, re: Verstappen overtaking under safety car, rejected.
"Although (VER) did, for a very short period of time, move slightly in front of (HAM), when both were accelerating and braking, moved back behind and not in front when safety car period ended"

was wondering why the replay was so quick saying that

C4 coverage as unbaised as ever

Webber " Coultard talk us through our boys lap"

Back
Top Bottom