Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

Ferrari deny Mattia Binotto will be replaced as team principal by Fred Vasseur

Gazzetta dello Sport reported Binotto would pay the price for a 2022 season which Ferrari began with big leads in both World Championships after three rounds but quickly fell away as Red Bull got on top. The Italian publication claimed Vasseur is held in high esteem by the Stellantis group and that he would replace Binotto from January. But Ferrari responded by issuing a statement in which they categorically stated no such move was in the pipeline. “In response to speculation in certain media regarding Scuderia Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto’s position, Ferrari state these rumours are totally without foundation,” read the team’s statement.

Operational and strategy errors during races this season have been a large part of Ferrari’s undoing and pressure has inevitably built on Binotto, the man at the top. The report claimed Vasseur, 54, was first considered by the Scuderia last summer because of his vast racing experience, having worked his way up to F1 from managing teams in junior formulas, which gives him a different skill-set to the more technical knowledge offered by Binotto. The Alfa Romeo team run by Vasseur are the Sauber operation based in Switzerland and they have engines supplied by Ferrari. A move for the Frenchman would make sense considering Sauber are set to strengthen links with Audi over the next few years before the German manufacturer enter as an engine supplier in 2026, which could have put Vasseur’s position in jeopardy. Alfa Romeo are on course to finish a fine sixth in this season’s Constructors’ Championship, which represents a big improvement on the last few campaigns. If they can hold off Aston Martin, who are five points behind, at the concluding Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, it would be Sauber’s year position-wise since 2012 when they were also sixth.

Although Ferrari won two of this season’s first three grands prix through Charles Leclerc, their season began to unravel from the moment the Monegasque crashed during the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix and fell from third place to sixth. Since then, the Italian giants threw away several potential victory chances due to strategy blunders, car breakdowns and driver mistakes. They have added only two more wins since Leclerc’s in Australia on April 10. Leclerc triumphed in Austria and his team-mate, Carlos Sainz, in Britain. Binotto has been team principal since January 2019 when he succeeded Maurizio Arrivabene. Born in Switzerland, the 53-year-old has worked for Ferrari since soon after he left university with a Masters in motor vehicle engineering. He worked for Ferrari during their golden era in the first few years of this century, became head of the engine department in 2013 and then chief technical officer in 2016 after the departure of James Allison.

I’m a little surprised Hulkenburg has managed to land the seat at Haas next year, but pleased nonetheless. Schumacher hasn’t done enough and has only himself to blame.

The marked improvement in his form in the second half of this season (when he presumably realised he was going to have to sing for his supper to get rehired) reminded me of the way Kimi used to raise his game each time Ferrari were pondering whether to give him another contract.

You can’t leave time on the table in F1 and if you need extra motivation to perform at your best, you’re not motivated enough. Starting from the back of the grid when MAG was on pole was an appropriate symbol of Mick’s underperformance.

I hope Hulk can measure up against Magnussen after missing so much recent experience. Will be a hell of a challenge!

I’m a little surprised Hulkenburg has managed to land the seat at Haas next year, but pleased nonetheless. Schumacher hasn’t done enough and has only himself to blame.

The marked improvement in his form in the second half of this season (when he presumably realised he was going to have to sing for his supper to get rehired) reminded me of the way Kimi used to raise his game each time Ferrari were pondering whether to give him another contract.

You can’t leave time on the table in F1 and if you need extra motivation to perform at your best, you’re not motivated enough. Starting from the back of the grid when MAG was on pole was an appropriate symbol of Mick’s underperformance.

I hope Hulk can measure up against Magnussen after missing so much recent experience. Will be a hell of a challenge!
I wonder if he didn't sometimes think his name would carry him.

hmm i think mich should of had another year to see if he turned it around

Hulks a lovely guy but a younger talent could of be placed in the hass

Drugovich springs to mind shared a reserve driver role with vandorne

Ex-Red Bull driver reveals why he ‘lost respect’ for Christian Horner

........The incident on Sunday has been compared to another Red Bull incident in 2013, where Sebastian Vettel defied team orders and overtook team-mate Mark Webber for the win. Webber was furious after the race and initially had the backing of boss Christian Horner; however, Webber revealed in his autobiography that the team principal performed a “180-degree turn” after the race.

“Marko was surrounded by the German/Austrian media and blaming me,” he wrote in his book. “On hearing what Marko had said, Christian seemed to perform a 180-degree turn and ended up siding with Marko. Later, when I saw on TV the hugs Sebastian got on the pit wall from the team, I began having serious doubts as to who was really pulling the strings at Red Bull Racing.”

Webber eventually retired from the sport at the end of 2013, with some now questioning if the incident in Brazil will spell the end shortly of Pérez’s time at Red Bull, with the Austrians seemingly unwilling to turn against their star driver. Webber, in his book, explained that Horner insisted that both drivers were equal, something which was never the case in 2013 and arguably isn’t the case in 2022.

The Aussie saw this lack of honesty as a “sign of weakness” in Horner, something Pérez may perhaps begin to see himself. “Christian insisted on keeping up the pretence that everything was even-handed,” he wrote. “All we wanted was to be told the truth but he couldn’t do that, and for me that was a sign of weakness. It was at this stage that I began losing respect for him.”

Max Verstappen being a cunt seems to run in the family

..........Verstappen showed a sheer lack of teamwork and gratitude to everything Pérez has done for him during their partnership, with the incident leaving the Mexican extremely disappointed. “It shows who he (Verstappen) really is,” Pérez said. "I have nothing to say, really. After all I’ve done for him, it’s disappointing. I have no idea. I’m really surprised.”

Following the race, Verstappen has faced an onslaught of abuse and criticism, with many fans across the globe having been left with a sour taste in their mouths over the Dutchman’s selfishness. Verstappen’s mother, Sophie Kumpen, decided to defend her son and fire an insult back at Pérez, by saying in a now deleted comment “and then in the evening cheating on his wife”. This appears to be in reference to the Monaco Grand Prix, where Pérez was recorded partying with various women after claiming victory, despite being married.

It resulted in the Mexican releasing an apology after Monaco, where he took “responsibility” for his actions. “I have seen the videos that have been circulating about me and I take responsibility for it,” Perez wrote in a social media post. "It was a bad party that I didn’t know how to control at the height of the person that I am, but it was just that, a very bad party. People close to me know my values and the type of person that I am. For those who ask me, we are more united than ever, me and my wife, and for those who just want to hurt us, I wish you the best,” wrote the Mexican.

Following Verstappen’s mother’s comments, fans have hit out at her for “attacking the privacy” of Pérez, with one user suggesting that she should have “taught” the double World Champion better. “Instead of attacking the privacy of the people your son works with, you should have taught him values such as gratitude, loyalty and teamwork,” wrote a social media user.

Last edited:

Ferrari rift rumours as Charles Leclerc and team boss Mattia Binotto 'no longer speak'

Charles Leclerc was coy on speculation over Mattia Binotto's future, as rumours continue to swirl about the relationship between the Ferrari team boss and driver. According to L'Equipe, the two "no longer speak" to one another as their relationship has apparently fully broken down. The French news outlet pointed to the British Grand Prix as a starting point, after which the team boss was spotted giving his driver a firm dressing down by TV cameras. Ferrari have made a handful of costly mistakes this season, which contributed to their and Leclerc's failed title challenges. The Monegasque racer has also bee frustrated over a lack of team orders, including that weekend at Silverstone and, most recently, at last weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.

After that race at Interlagos, the Italian media reported that the team was considering a change of leadership. Reporter Leo Turrini said Ferrari were "talking about" replacing Binotto, while he too pointed at "a relationship which is not always very fluid" between the team principal and Leclerc. Alfa Romeo team principal Frederic Vasseur was named as a potential successor to Binotto if Ferrari were to pull the trigger. The Italian company's GT racing chief is another option named, while McLaren team boss Andreas Seidl has also been linked. So strong was the speculation that Ferrari felt the need to issue a public statement on the matter. "In relation to speculation in certain media regarding Scuderia Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto's position, Ferrari states that these rumours are totally without foundation," it read.

In the Abu Dhabi press conference on Thursday, Leclerc was asked about those rumours. Rather than give a straight answer, the racer chose to redirect focus instead to the final race of the season. "There are always rumours surrounding Ferrari, we just have to focus on the job," he told reporters. "I think people tend to forget where we come from, but we just have to look at the work and not pay attention to the rumours. As for performance, we've come from ups and downs. An accident in Brazil, but the pace was good. After two difficult years, we hope to finish and fight for victory again, even if we think about the 2023 championship. Stability has paid off, we are improving and will grow further."

It's all going swimmingly then.

tbf all the drivers on the grid should come out and say controlling their fans is not within their control or have any standing or responsibility on their side

when the Dutch gp fans misbehaved aside from shouting abuse at LH,
they were doing the same and more to women with beer and a group of drunk men together

now after bad pr and its against max

last week max's team shared the Monaco incident as a reason not to give away a single point after the WC had concluded

now he wants to complain about backlash

petulant twat hope he boycotts all media from now on

Max Verstappen beong a cuny seems to run in the family

..........Verstappen showed a sheer lack of teamwork and gratitude to everything Pérez has done for him during their partnership, with the incident leaving the Mexican extremely disappointed. “It shows who he (Verstappen) really is,” Pérez said. "I have nothing to say, really. After all I’ve done for him, it’s disappointing. I have no idea. I’m really surprised.”

Following the race, Verstappen has faced an onslaught of abuse and criticism, with many fans across the globe having been left with a sour taste in their mouths over the Dutchman’s selfishness. Verstappen’s mother, Sophie Kumpen, decided to defend her son and fire an insult back at Pérez, by saying in a now deleted comment “and then in the evening cheating on his wife”. This appears to be in reference to the Monaco Grand Prix, where Pérez was recorded partying with various women after claiming victory, despite being married.

It resulted in the Mexican releasing an apology after Monaco, where he took “responsibility” for his actions. “I have seen the videos that have been circulating about me and I take responsibility for it,” Perez wrote in a social media post. "It was a bad party that I didn’t know how to control at the height of the person that I am, but it was just that, a very bad party. People close to me know my values and the type of person that I am. For those who ask me, we are more united than ever, me and my wife, and for those who just want to hurt us, I wish you the best,” wrote the Mexican.

Following Verstappen’s mother’s comments, fans have hit out at her for “attacking the privacy” of Pérez, with one user suggesting that she should have “taught” the double World Champion better. “Instead of attacking the privacy of the people your son works with, you should have taught him values such as gratitude, loyalty and teamwork,” wrote a social media user.

Sure, Merc had their problems with Nico and Lewis but they were literally fighting for a championship.

This sort of atmosphere comes from the top, Marko, Jos and Horner must be poison.

I get the impression that daddio is the golem in the garage: demanding, vicious and arrogant.

Let's take a quick look at Wikipedia's summary (obviously edited by someone with keen eye for family matters and parental influence...):

"After a 1998 incident at a karting track in which a man suffered a fractured skull, Verstappen and his father, Frans, were found guilty in court of assault but were each given a five-year suspended jail sentence after reaching an out-of-court settlement with the victim.[33]

In December 2008, with the couple effectively separated, Verstappen appeared in court in Tongeren, Belgium, charged with assaulting his wife, Sophie Kumpen.[34] He was found not guilty of assault, but guilty of threatening Kumpen in text messages and of violating a previously issued restraining order. He was fined and sentenced to three months probational, suspended prison sentence.[35]

On 29 November 2011, the media reported allegations that Verstappen had assaulted his ex-girlfriend; Verstappen claimed to only have had a discussion with her.[36] In January 2012, he was arrested on attempted murder charges following accusations that he drove a car into his ex-girlfriend in Roermond,[37] but released two weeks later after the charge was withdrawn.[38] Verstappen and his ex-girlfriend, Kelly van der Waal, got back together and were married in 2014. They have one daughter, Blue Jaye, born in September 2014.[39] They divorced on 2 June 2017.[40]"

This is the back-garage mentor haranguing Whinger before and after every race.

Jeez, now I feel conflicted: I feel sorry for Whinger. :(

I am a Max fan, you might have noticed, but last race attitude to Checo after all he's done for Max to help him get his WDCs has really tarnished his reputation for me. I hope he has a much better attitude this weekend. We shall see.

FP1

Lewis Hamilton was the fastest driver on track during Free Practice 1 for the Abu Dhabi GP, as Mercedes continued their form from Brazil with a 1-2 with George Russell in second. Charles Leclerc was third quickest on track ahead of the Red Bull of Sergio Perez, while Sebastian Vettel was 7th for Aston Martin as the four-time champion begins the final race weekend of his F1 career before retiring.

The session saw a number of reserve and F2 drivers get a chance to show their pace in the cars, with Max Verstappen, Fernando Alonso, Lando Norris, Carlos Sainz, Lance Stroll, Nicholas Latifi and Mick Schumacher all sitting on the sidelines. A number of drivers were given a chance to test their respective teams’ cars during the session, including F2 drivers Liam Lawson with Red Bull in place of 2022 champion Max Verstappen, Jack Doohan in the Alpine of Fernando Alonso and Robert Shwartzman in Carlos Sainz’s Ferrari. Both Lawson and Shwartzman managed to keep pace with their experienced teammates, with the Red Bull driver 5th behind Perez, while the German was in 7th.

Indycar driver Pato O’Ward was also given an opportunity to show his pace in the McLaren of Lando Norris, but his session was interrupted after the car suffered an issue and he was told to return slowly to the pits in second gear. However, the Mexican managed to get back out on track and was 18th quickest overall, while Haas reserve driver Pietro Fittipaldi, deputising for Mick Schumacher who will leave the team to be replaced by Nico Hulkenberg for 2023, was 17th. Logan Sargeant, who is set to replace Nicholas Latifi at Williams for next year provided he secures the necessary Super Licence points in the final F2 race this weekend, was 15th, while newly-crowned F2 champion Felipe Drugovich had his first run as Aston Martin’s official reserve driver and was last overall. Meanwhile former Sauber driver Robert Kubica made his second appearance on track of the season after filling in for Valtteri Bottas at Alfa Romeo during the Hungarian GP, finishing the session in 14th.

Results
Pos.No.DriverCarTimeGapLaps
144Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:26.63321
263George RussellMercedes1:26.853+0.220s29
316Charles LeclercFerrari1:26.888+0.255s22
411Sergio PerezRed Bull Racing Rbpt1:26.967+0.334s22
536Liam LawsonRed Bull Racing Rbpt1:27.201+0.568s22
65Sebastian VettelAston Martin Aramco Mercedes1:27.268+0.635s19
739Robert ShwartzmanFerrari1:27.429+0.796s23
83Daniel RicciardoMclaren Mercedes1:27.619+0.986s20
977Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo Ferrari1:27.655+1.022s22
1023Alexander AlbonWilliams Mercedes1:27.840+1.207s25
1110Pierre GaslyAlphatauri Rbpt1:27.845+1.212s27
1231Esteban OconAlpine Renault1:27.891+1.258s27
1322Yuki TsunodaAlphatauri Rbpt1:27.991+1.358s27
1488Robert KubicaAlfa Romeo Ferrari1:28.064+1.431s22
1545Logan SargeantWilliams Mercedes1:28.098+1.465s23
1620Kevin MagnussenHaas Ferrari1:28.142+1.509s19
1751Pietro FittipaldiHaas Ferrari1:28.204+1.571s25
1828Patricio O'WardMclaren Mercedes1:28.350+1.717s22
1982Jack DoohanAlpine Renault1:28.484+1.851s24
2034Felipe DrugovichAston Martin Aramco Mercedes1:28.672+2.039s23

Alpine sack senior employee over driver scandal

For Alpine, 2022 has been somewhat a year of loss, given that a third high-stake employee of the Enstone-based side has been reportedly sacked. According to companies house, director of legal affairs Benedicte Mercer has been relieved of her responsibilities, having played a role in the French side losing the highly talented Oscar Piastri to McLaren. The Piastri saga has played a huge role in the storyline of 2022, with it all having started following an announcement by Sebastian Vettel. Prior to the Hungarian Grand Prix, the four-time World Champion revealed that he would be retiring from the sport at the end of the season, which triggered a heap of changes.

After the weekend at the Hungaroring, Fernando Alonso announced that he’d be joining the Silverstone-based team in 2023, to the shock of the paddock. This, therefore, opened up a vacancy at Alpine for 2023, resulting in the side announcing that their reserve driver, 2021 F2 World Champion Oscar Piastri, would be promoted to a full-time seat. However, the story then took a dramatic twist, as Piastri revealed that he hadn’t agreed to race for Alpine and wouldn’t be doing so either. Team boss Otmar Szafnauer was furious and insisted that the Aussie was contracted to the team; however, the FIA’s Contract Recognition Board revealed that he had no binding contract with Alpine for 2023, meaning he was allowed to sign for McLaren.

Alpine’s plan originally, was for Piastri to race for Williams for up to two years before switching to the French side, after believing that Alonso was going to sign a contract extension. It meant Alpine lost both the most experienced driver and perhaps the highest-anticipated one also, resulting in the French side having egg on their face. Given that Alpine are based in the UK, they do come under companies house, where they can be found under the name Alpine Racing Limited. It’s on this that it can be seen that the side have terminated the contract of Mercer, with it having been done on 8th November.

“Haas got fed up of Mick Schumacher’s entourage”

Mick Schumacher brought “pressures” to Haas due to the people surrounding him which contributed to his exit, says Martin Brundle. Haas confirmed that the final vacant seat in the F1 2023 driver line-up would go to Nico Hulkenberg, replacing Schumacher and forcing him off the grid next season. Sky’s Brundle said: “They have gone for the security of experience. Mick crashed too many cars. I think the team were fed up of Mick’s entourage and all the pressures that came with that. He has been dropped by Ferrari as well, so it’s difficult times for him. Mick will pop up somewhere else. I think he’s worthy of a place on the grid - maybe in a reserve role, treading water. Haas want that experience and confidence rather than trying to bring young guns in, which hasn’t worked for them.”

Damon Hill felt sorry for Mick: “I do, a bit. He got off to a false start with the teammate he had before Kevin. A few big shunts cost him his drive, because it cost the team so much money. If Mick gets a reserve role he will learn more and be ready to go again.”

Mick’s uncle Ralf Schumacher has repeatedly criticised Haas team principal Guenther Steiner throughout the season.

Formula One has officially announced the formation of a new all-female racing series which will begin in 2023. The F1 Academy will be run and financially backed by the sport’s owners Formula One Management with the intent of helping more young women progress in motor racing and ultimately into F1.

The new championship will consist of five teams, each with three drivers run by existing competitors in the F1 feeder series, F3 and F2. The season will be held across seven meetings with three races at each event. The calendar has yet to be confirmed but is expected to include one F1 weekend.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: FP2

Max Verstappen’s first action of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend ended with him in his familar position at the top of the timesheet. Unlike in the first hour’s running of the weekend, all 20 regular drivers of the 2022 season were out on track after several of them had sat out FP1 to make way for inexperienced and test drivers, most of which had been brought in to fulfil the rookie requirement introduced this year. One of those to spend the morning watching on in the garage was Verstappen, who stepped aside for Liam Lawson, but in FP2 he was straight on the pace as Red Bull hit back at Mercedes.

Mercedes had finished 1-2 in FP1 for the second consecutive track session, having achieved that feat at the Brazilian Grand Prix five days earlier when Russell scored his maiden F1 victory ahead of Hamilton. Verstappen was reporting a “very bad” brake pedal early in the session but still found himself over half a second ahead with 20 minutes gone, while Hamilton waved a questioning hand at Kevin Magnussen after coming across a very slow Haas ahead of him in a braking zone.

As darkness began to fall, the double World Champion improved his best time to a 1:25.146, putting him over a third of a second ahead of Russell as race simulations became the priority for the closing stages of the session. Entering the last 10 minutes, Daniel Ricciardo’s car was back in the garage with an oil leak to curtail his last FP2 session for McLaren – having earlier reported a slippery area in the pit box that was causing him some concern.

Results (Classification):
  1. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing -1:25.146
  2. George Russell Mercedes +0.341
  3. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.453
  4. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.615
  5. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +0.706
  6. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.786
  7. Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.892
  8. Fernando Alonso Alpine +0.897
  9. Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +0.978
  10. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +1.154
  11. Lando Norris McLaren +1.231
  12. Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +1.249
  13. Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +1.333
  14. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.401
  15. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +1.534
  16. Alexander Albon Williams Racing +1.604
  17. Mick Schumacher Haas +1.693
  18. Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.769
  19. Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +1.890
  20. Nicholas Latifi Williams Racing +2.116

I wonder much this will effect them next season.
Not much. They’ll either find another sponsor, or parent company Merc will have to dig a little deeper and subsidise the team’s budget to the tune of the lost revenue. I can’t see it having any effect on their ability to compete, especially now we are in the cost cap era where there’s a fixed budget level to be found from one place or another.

In the old days when the more sponsorship you could find, the quicker you could go, maybe it would have affected them.

Red Bull explain Ricciardo role after Marko slip

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has outlined Daniel Ricciardo's new role when he returns to the team for 2023. Ricciardo is to join Red Bull as reserve, serving as understudy to two-time F1 champion Max Verstappen and team-mate Sergio Perez, following his axe by McLaren despite a year remaining on a three-year deal. The Australian has yet to sign a contract, however, advisor Helmut Marko let slip the news that has yet to be officially confirmed by the team during an interview with Sky Germany on Friday.

Asked as to the validity of Marko's comments, Horner said: "We haven't signed anything yet, but Helmut, in his enthusiasm, has obviously announced it. So I guess that means Daniel will be joining us, unless, of course, he chooses not to sign it [the contract]." Discussing Ricciardo's role in the future, Horner added: "Daniel's a big character. It's been disappointing to see his performances, he would have wanted a lot more out of the season. But he is still one of the biggest names, one of the biggest characters in Formula 1. He obviously has a history of being a Red Bull junior, and just with the demands that are on the race drivers these days, just from a marketing perspective alone, we are very active as a team, we do many, many show runs and events. So to have a driver of Daniel's profile and history with the team, within the group, is only an asset for us. It means he keeps in touch with Formula 1, we'll obviously be using him in the simulator as well, and he'll potentially be attending some events - if he does sign a contract. I'm sure that will all become clear in the event of him signing a contract."

Following a debut with Hispania Racing midway through the 2011 season, Ricciardo joined Toro Rosso in 2012 and spent two years at Faenza before promotion to Red Bull from 2014. Across his five years at Milton Keynes, Ricciardo won seven grands prix and twice finished third in the drivers' standings before switching to Renault in 2019, and then on to McLaren from 2021.

Red Bull explain Ricciardo role after Marko slip

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has outlined Daniel Ricciardo's new role when he returns to the team for 2023. Ricciardo is to join Red Bull as reserve, serving as understudy to two-time F1 champion Max Verstappen and team-mate Sergio Perez, following his axe by McLaren despite a year remaining on a three-year deal. The Australian has yet to sign a contract, however, advisor Helmut Marko let slip the news that has yet to be officially confirmed by the team during an interview with Sky Germany on Friday.

Asked as to the validity of Marko's comments, Horner said: "We haven't signed anything yet, but Helmut, in his enthusiasm, has obviously announced it. So I guess that means Daniel will be joining us, unless, of course, he chooses not to sign it [the contract]." Discussing Ricciardo's role in the future, Horner added: "Daniel's a big character. It's been disappointing to see his performances, he would have wanted a lot more out of the season. But he is still one of the biggest names, one of the biggest characters in Formula 1. He obviously has a history of being a Red Bull junior, and just with the demands that are on the race drivers these days, just from a marketing perspective alone, we are very active as a team, we do many, many show runs and events. So to have a driver of Daniel's profile and history with the team, within the group, is only an asset for us. It means he keeps in touch with Formula 1, we'll obviously be using him in the simulator as well, and he'll potentially be attending some events - if he does sign a contract. I'm sure that will all become clear in the event of him signing a contract."

Following a debut with Hispania Racing midway through the 2011 season, Ricciardo joined Toro Rosso in 2012 and spent two years at Faenza before promotion to Red Bull from 2014. Across his five years at Milton Keynes, Ricciardo won seven grands prix and twice finished third in the drivers' standings before switching to Renault in 2019, and then on to McLaren from 2021.
There’s no great characters left once Dan leaves F1. The heyday of people like Hunt, Irvine, even Kimi seem so very long ago now

Perez leads Red Bull 1-2 in final Abu Dhabi GP practice

Sergio Perez led a Red Bull 1-2 during the final Formula 1 practice session of the year in Abu Dhabi. Perez set a time of 1:24.982s in the hot daytime session to wind up 0.152s clear of team-mate Max Verstappen. Verstappen went wide through Turn 5 on his hot lap and was warned by his race engineer that a replication of that line during qualifying would result in the time being deleted for track limits.

Mercedes wound up third and fourth respectively, with Lewis Hamilton in front of George Russell, though Hamilton faces a post-session investigation after appearing to pass two cars under red flag conditions. The session had been halted after Pierre Gasly’s front-right wheel deflector detached from the AlphaTauri AT03 through Turn 9. Hamilton passed McLaren’s Lando Norris and Haas’ Kevin Magnussen just as the red flags came out – having been on a hot lap while his rivals were slower off-line. Hamilton will have to go to the stewards to address his alleged failure to slow under red flag conditions.

McLaren’s Lando Norris was a promising fifth, half a second behind Perez, while Ferrari had a relatively low-key session in sixth and seventh respectively, Carlos Sainz ahead of Charles Leclerc. Daniel Ricciardo was eighth for McLaren while the retiring Sebastian Vettel concluded his final practice session in ninth place for Aston Martin. Alexander Albon rounded out the top 10 for Williams, ahead of the Alpine pair of Esteban Ocon and Fernando Alonso.

FP3 Official Results

1. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing -1:24.982
  2. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +0.152
  3. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.240
  4. George Russell Mercedes +0.413
  5. Lando Norris McLaren +0.536
  6. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.589
  7. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.623
  8. Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +0.968
  9. Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +1.030
  10. Alexander Albon Williams Racing +1.069
  11. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.091
  12. Fernando Alonso Alpine +1.094
  13. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +1.188
  14. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +1.207
  15. Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +1.257
  16. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.316
  17. Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.374
  18. Mick Schumacher Haas +1.491
  19. Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +1.500
  20. Nicholas Latifi Williams Racing +1.664

Hamilton avoids penalty for overtaking under red flags

Lewis Hamilton has avoided a penalty after overtaking under red flags during Abu Dhabi Grand Prix FP3. The seven-time F1 champion was investigated by the stewards after the final practice session of the F1 season at the Yas Island circuit for failing to slow under red-flag conditions. Via a statement, the stewards determined that "There is no dispute that Car 44 passed Car 20 directly after the track was placed in a red flag condition.

The report continued: "The driver of Car 44 stated that he was on a fast lap, he saw the red light, immediately completely lifted the throttle and applied the brakes, whilst checking his mirrors for cars following in close proximity. He stated that he had, in doing so, gone past Car 20." Noting consistency in its decision-making after Max Verstappen was given an exemption in a similar incident at Zandvoort last year, the report added: "The stewards took note of the precedent in relation to the 2021 Dutch Grand Prix [Verstappen], where no action was taken against the driver under similar but not identical circumstances. The telemetry evidence was sourced directly from the live data available to the FIA not from any evidence provided by the team.

"The telemetry data clearly shows the following;

"1. That immediately when the red light was displayed, the driver lifted throttle 100 per cent.

"2. That immediately when the red light was displayed, the driver applied firm braking pressure.

"3. The speed of Car 44 at this point was 288 km/h. [Car 20 had a speed of 126 km/h at this point – a delta of 162 km/h].

"The Stewards It is our conclusion that the driver of Car 44 took every reasonable action to comply with the regulations in that he immediately reduced speed in a safe manner at the earliest opportunity upon the first indication of the red light. Notwithstanding, technically this is still a breach of Art 2.5.4.1 b of Cpt IV of Appendix H of the International Sporting Code, however he could not avoid overtaking Car 20 in this case and therefore the Stewards DETERMINE to apply no penalty."

The incident was kickstarted in bizarre circumstances when a wheel fairing machined itself off and into the right-front tyre of Pierre Gasly's AlphaTauri. That caused a puncture and the right-front wheel cover to break off, with the debris left on the racing line, forcing the session to be temporarily halted. At the point the red flags were shown, Hamilton passed both McLaren's Lando Norris and Kevin Magnussen in his Haas on the long approach into the hairpin. Television replays showed the initial light panel passed by Hamilton was red, albeit his closing speed at the time it lit up was considerable, whilst there was no light at all on a further panel at the hairpin turn itself. Additionally, there appeared to be nothing showing on the dash of Hamilton's steering wheel.

Whinger on Sky says, roughly:

The team failed to discuss every possibility before the race - it was our fault.

Max is entitled to hold a grudge, no matter how groundless and petty, for as long as he chooses.

Yes, Max runs the team/

The sun shines out of his fundament.

Nice try, Whinger. Not persuaded. A driver defying the team publicly is both defiant and insolent. And now Max knows he grasps the team by the scrotum, he'll do it again because it's his natural behaviour and he knows there are no consequences.

Back
Top Bottom