Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Euros 20/21 Permutations, Stats & Records

Not convinced with this model. I suppose some of this speculation (this is of tonight) depends on how the groups finish but I can't believe Spain's chances are higher than Belgium's or Italy's. Or that Denmark with ) points are based higher than Sweden who have 4pts or even Wales who have 4pts

1624142018088.png

Not convinced with this model. I suppose some of this speculation (this is of tonight) depends on how the groups finish but I can't believe Spain's chances are higher than Belgium's or Italy's. Or that Denmark with ) points are based higher than Sweden who have 4pts or even Wales who have 4pts

View attachment 274360
If that relates to betting odds I would put a few quid on Italy

Posted this on the England thread, but thought it might be appropriate for this permutations thread too?

Straight from the source, hopefully helps having it all listed out:

How ties are broken within groups

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the final tournament group stage, the following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question
b. superior goal difference resulting from the matches played among the teams in question
c. higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal
e. superior goal difference in all group matches
f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches
g. higher number of wins in all group matches
h. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
i. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

If two teams which have the same number of points and the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, their final rankings are determined by kicks from the penalty mark, provided that no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches.

How the four best third-placed teams are decided

With reference to article 21.03, the results of the third-placed teams are compared based on their three group stage matches, according to the following criteria:

a. higher number of points
b. superior goal difference
c. higher number of goals scored
d. higher number of wins
e. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
f. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

Once the four best third-placed teams have been determined, article 21.05 of the regulations explains which third-placed team plays in which tie.

So, we've got North Mac v Netherlands and Ukraine v Austria today. Looks to me like like Ukraine and Austria know that a draw will almost certainly take them both through, leaving Austria as a 3rd placer with 4 points. Particularly as Switzerland finished 3rd in their group, but with a negative goal difference. This is going to get even worse in a couple of days when teams will know exactly what they have to do to get 3rd and go through.

Group C​

PTeamGPWDLFAGDPtsForm
631.png
The Netherlands
22005236Won against Ukraine Won against Austria
6272.png
Ukraine
21014403Lost to The Netherlands Won against North Macedonia
992.png
Austria
21013303Won against North Macedonia Lost to The Netherlands
6603.png
North Macedonia
200225-30Lost to Austria Lost to Ukraine

I am predicting Finland and Portugal to be the two third placed teams to miss out.
Good call on Portugal, lose to Germany and end up with 3 points and a negative goal difference. I've nowt against Portugal, but I would like to see Christiano - 'legal issues' - Ronaldo departing the scene.

I am predicting Finland and Portugal to be the two third placed teams to miss out.
Slovakia could be in trouble if Spain get their act together (they meet in the final game). In fact other than Sweden going through which is a near certainty, anything else could happen in this group:

Group E​

PTeamGPWDLFAGDPtsForm
5845.png
Sweden
21101014Drew with Spain Won against Slovakia
6601.png
Slovakia
21012203Won against Poland Lost to Sweden
999.png
Spain
20201102Drew with Sweden Drew with Poland
629.png
Poland
201123-11Lost to Slovakia Drew with Spain

Slovakia could be in trouble if Spain get their act together (they meet in the final game). In fact other than Sweden going through which is a near certainty, anything else could happen in this group:

Group E​

PTeamGPWDLFAGDPtsForm
5845.png
Sweden
21101014Drew with Spain Won against Slovakia
6601.png
Slovakia
21012203Won against Poland Lost to Sweden
999.png
Spain
20201102Drew with Sweden Drew with Poland
629.png
Poland
201123-11Lost to Slovakia Drew with Spain
Yeah, I think Slovakia are going out - Poland and Spain to win in the final round of matches, with Sweden going through in third place.

Although Spain drawing with Slovakia and going out would be hilarious.

The excellent Ben Crellin has produce a spreadsheet for the tournament, which includes this 3rd place 'table':

1624313385976.png

So, Finland need two out of the following three to happen:
  • Spain lose to Slovakia
  • Croatia draws with Scotland
  • Portugal lose by... four?
I've still not properly bothered to read all the 3rd place rules, so I'm just assuming normal table rules apply to this table and your position in it determines whether you go through or not.

These possibilities can also be added to the three above:
  • Portugal lose to France and Germany lose by four goals to Hungary
  • Spain beat Slovakia by three goals and Poland fail to beat Sweden

Think tonights results actualli increase opportunitoes for Portugal to go through to the next round. Portugal will make the knock outs unless they lose by more than 3 goals against France or draw or lose and Hungary beat Germany.
Possible first knock out game could be against Holland, then the winners of Denmark/Wales. Might end up with Germany in the semis. All hyperthetical of course.

So, if England beat Germany they are probably favourites to get to the final in their half of the draw. Maybe joint favourites with the Netherlands, but a decent run otherwise. Beating Germany though... :(

I find a few of those odds surprising.

Italy are very low. Belgium are very high given their tough draw. I don't really fancy Croatia, but to put Belgium 36 times more likely to win than Croatia is very odd.

I'd put England just above Germany, personally. I know there's history, but Germany clearly have problems at the moment and England are at home.

View attachment 274360

any update on this table, for the teams now left in the tournament?

Back
Top Bottom