Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs West Germany 1990 as if it's live - 3pm

Steel Icarus

e le aulelei pe mauoa ae malie
3pm today on iPlayer, BBC One, BBC online

This is the big one. England are arguably a bit lucky to have got this far, with a very late Platty goal against Belgium and coming from behind with a couple of dodgy pennos against Cameroon in the quarters...but you get the feeling if it just clicks we can beat the Germans today.

I mean we've lost Bryan Robson and John Barnes which are huge misses, but look at the talent in the team - Waddle, Beardo, Lineker, and the brilliant young Gascoigne.

Still not convinced about playing a sweeper system but I guess we'll see, I suppose with no destroyer in midfield likely to start it makes sense.

I'm already really nervous. But if we can get past this solid but unspectacular West German side we can get revenge on Maradona and Argentina in the final.

Come on England!

Dealing with their fancy forwards really well. Have to watch out for Klinsmann diving though. Cheating git. He'd never get away with that in the English First Division.

Watching it now... odd really. At the time I'd just finished uni, and was wandering around Central Park in New York trying to find my lost spectacles... found them, then went with an Italian guy to a bar to see most of the second half onwards... most of the Americans were either indifferent or supporting the West Germans at the time..

Anyway - as you were. :weed:

Still think this is going to be painful to watch..

Any of our players on a booking from earlier matches? Seem to remember Pearce got a yellow earlier in the knockout stages

Any of our players on a booking from earlier matches? Seem to remember Pearce got a yellow earlier in the knockout stages
Pearce, Gascoigne and McMahon for us, West Germany: Berthold, Matthaus and Klinsmann

Not sure about Beardsley, he hasn't had a booking in any of the knock out games, barely even played!
Nah, the bookings rule is from the start of the tournament. Seems daft, given the number of bookings refs give these days. Lord alone knows what trouble it might cause.

Doesn't matter, this referee looks like he doesn't give them. Parker should have had one for that tackle on Matthaus.

Back
Top Bottom