Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Belgium (Group G) - 19:00 - 28/06/2018

Final Score

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
its kind of win-win though isn't it?
if we win the game (or draw but still top the group) - hooray - we're on a roll! - momentum!
if we lose - never mind - weakened team - but now we are faves for the semis! clever old gareth!

Yes, a strange old situation and it will be weird watching the match with very few nerves. The only bad result as far as I can see would be a morale damaging drubbing by 3 goals or more.

In a strange way if both teams make a lot of changes it probably has more chance of making a game of it, what with players auditioning for the next game.

Have to say - the 2nd place route to the semis does look somewhat easier. Mexico or Brazil both look a lot more dangerous than the swiss or the swedes. And the belgiums will be of the same mind.

might end up with the situation where both teams are trying to collect more bookings than the other in order to ensure a 2nd place finish without losing the game.
I love the idea of Vardy spurning the chance of scoring to go and kick Vertonghen instead.

Brazil & Croatia are the ones to avoid I think.

Then you've got people like Uruguay, Colombia, France, Spain, Belgium who would all probably beat us.

We can't avoid all of them. Might as well play it straight and see what happens.
Your first two lines are uncharacteristically pessimistic :hmm:

On your third line, equally, we won't actually have to play all of them. If we do finish top, we won't actually have to play Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico.

Finishing top could give us a route to the final of Japan, Mexico, Uruguay, whereas finishing second could give us Colombia, Switzerland, Spain. I think I'd prefer to finish top in that scenario.

Long story short, play to win, because you never know what the other teams will conspire to do.

Your first two lines are uncharacteristically pessimistic :hmm:

On your third line, equally, we won't actually have to play all of them. If we do finish top, we won't actually have to play Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico.

Finishing top could give us a route to the final of Japan, Mexico, Uruguay, whereas finishing second could give us Colombia, Switzerland, Spain. I think I'd prefer to finish top in that scenario.

Long story short, play to win, because you never know what the other teams will conspire to do.
Play to win, but not very hard.

I've been pushed into viewing a new flat at 8:30. Luckily I'll have my football app giving me score updates till I can get to a bar for the second half.

I like your thinking, but I drank a bottle of wine last night and had a bit of a hangover this morning. Can I do two midweek drinkings in a row? :hmm:

I'm slightly concerned that I will be drinking tonight (stellas in the fridge), tomorrow (payday, traditional pub visit then takeaway), Saturday (Mates 50th Birthday barbie) Sunday (Family barbie at my mums) then possibly Monday if England are playing then. All this in 30deg heat with a VERY busy week at work next week.

But, you know, summer.

I'm slightly concerned that I will be drinking tonight (stellas in the fridge), tomorrow (payday, traditional pub visit then takeaway), Saturday (Mates 50th Birthday barbie) Sunday (Family barbie at my mums) then possibly Monday if England are playing then. All this in 30deg heat with a VERY busy week at work next week.

But, you know, summer.

Not all heroes wear capes.

While I understand the thinking of resting some players and giving the opportunity to play in the World Cup to others, if those that come in fail to perform it could really backfire.

How am I so nervous about a dead rubber?!

All change, all change. That defence looks sluggish to say the least.

I'm all for getting the whole squad involved but doing this looks distinctly like establishing two different teams in the squad which I don't think is a great idea.

I'm all for getting the whole squad involved but doing this looks distinctly like establishing two different teams in the squad which I don't think is a great idea.
Yeah, that's a good point. This doesn't say "the whole squad is part of the team", it says "you're the reserve team".

Ach well, die cast...

The more I look at this the more I would like us to lose this game. Its a far better route and should England proceed I'd actually be able to watch the last 16 game as it's on a Saturday afternoon. The other route would be a Friday evening and I'll be on the M25, hurumph.

ETA: I think Southgate realises this given the team.

Back
Top Bottom