Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Belgium (Group G) - 19:00 - 28/06/2018

Final Score

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i have a sneaky feeling this Rashford might be yet another failure when he puts on a white shirt.
What a miss, Dog and Duck Level finishing
Do not have sky and dont watch MOTD that much , but keep hearing how brilliant he is, watched the cup final-did very little and that miss was very very poor.
Maybe he will (be a failure). Same time, he looked pretty good in his first few England performances, back to Euro 16 etc. Something's not right with him at United, dunno if it's the way Mourhino deals with him, but certainly a confidence thing. Perhaps he's somebody who will leave united and have a great career elsewhere. Alternatively, a couple of good games in the WC could reignite his united career (though it ain't happended yet). But on the 'miss', yes, there was one where he sent it miles wide, but the shot he had one on one was a goalkeeper save, surely?? Must admit my recollections were getting a bit 'hazy' by that point in the evening.

It was strange to watch how we played with Rashford and Vardy up front, normally the idea would be to sit back, absorb some pressure from Belgium and then hit long, quick passes to get them running in behind the defence.

Instead we continued to play out from defence slowly most of the time, completely negating their pace. And then the one time we sent Rashford clear he bottled it.

Definite impact subs both of them, but if that's the best Rashford can do I agree with Sterling continuing to start, at least his link up play with Lingard is good.
I don't get why Vardy never really performs for England given his goalscoring pedigree.

Plan B doesn't look so hot.
Which I think is one of the big problems of last night. Plan B is rarely "field an entirely different team", but now everyone's thinking that players beyond our first XI aren't up to much, and that potentially goes as much for the players themselves and the opposition.

Which I think is one of the big problems of last night. Plan B is rarely "field an entirely different team", but now everyone's thinking that players beyond our first XI aren't up to much, and that potentially goes as much for the players themselves and the opposition.
England were certainly a bit leaden but it's hard to know whether it was a case of too many changes or what the Octagone said on the last page about the way we were set up. In some ways we'll see how this all plays out against Colombia. I'd have thought going with a weakened team was the best approach if Japan had been next (and avoiding Brazil), now, not so sure. The other thing of course is if Southgate had chosen his best side we still might not have won - and that really would have been a sickener. Anyway, I think it was an 'ambiguous dose of reality' last night.

Vardy - average 1st touch
ok with Leicesters more direct style of play.
Getting around the back of defenders when they push up and leave loads of space that he runs into just dont happen so much at international level.
Would only use him when winning near the end of a game to bring on.
Personally dont think he would have ever fitted in at Arsenal with their "tippy tap" style of football.

"Definite impact subs both of them, but if that's the best Rashford can do I agree with Sterling continuing to start, at least his link up play with Lingard is good."

Agree

Last edited:
You don't notice it because you're English.

Fair comment, you maybe right.
Maybe media but not ordinary people.
My Two favorite uncles idwall and Glynn were from the valleys - Aberfan and Clydach(both sadly now passed away) and they did mention this once or twice i must admit, especially Glynn.
I said after 86 wc that i thought England would never win the world cup ever again, just my humble opinion and i was called all sorts, this was in a pub, not nasty but called out over it never the less.
I may talk some rubbish and of course it would be nice to see it happen, but who has been proved right.
Not proud that it has not happened just what i think.
Tin hat on ha

I think England will win the WC again at some point, whether I live to see it who knows?

I think England will win the WC again at some point, whether I live to see it who knows?
DAFT POST ALERT: not out of the question this time, providing the stars line up and a couple of potential opponents get knocked out. Essentially, beat Colombia, beat Sweden or Switzerland, then hope they end up with somebody other than Spain or Croatia... then hope it's somebody other than Brazil in the final. Right, scratch that. :(

DAFT POST ALERT: not out of the question this time, providing the stars line up and a couple of potential opponents get knocked out. Essentially, beat Colombia, beat Sweden or Switzerland, then hope they end up with somebody other than Spain or Croatia... then hope it's somebody other than Brazil in the final. Right, scratch that. :(

oh well fucking done. It was actually on there for a bit and you had to post this. You owe the nation an apology.

I said after 86 wc that i thought England would never win the world cup ever again, just my humble opinion and i was called all sorts, this was in a pub, not nasty but called out over it never the less.
But that just showed how wrong you were. The very next tournament, England had a team well capable of winning the WC, and very nearly did.

You need two things to win the WC (or any knock-out tournament) - to be good enough and to have some luck. England rarely place themselves in the position to be able to ride some luck. But they did in 90. And that makes you wrong, imo, even though they didn't win it. You couldn't know that they wouldn't have that bit of luck.

But that just showed how wrong you were. The very next tournament, England had a team well capable of winning the WC, and very nearly did.

You need two things to win the WC (or any knock-out tournament) - to be good enough and to have some luck. England rarely place themselves in the position to be able to ride some luck. But they did in 90. And that makes you wrong, imo, even though they didn't win it. You couldn't know that they wouldn't have that bit of luck.

Bit harsh on me ha
They never won it but i was wrong ? because they had no luck
ok

Historically, they've been gifted some very advantageous groups and qualifiers to compete in. Tunisia and Panama, FFS.

Still seems strange Italy not being in it.
They like Germany,Brazil always seem part of the furniture at the world cup

Spoke to some kids in my area today who were playing football , asked who they thought would win it
six of the seven said Belgium.
They have Ability but always seem to just "tighten up" when it comes to the crunch, Belgium i mean not the kids playing football !

France now Joint favorites with Brazil to win it with the bookies.

Dunno why everyone is going on about the outfield players who wont play again (injuries permitting), but are silent on the worst player on the pitch - Pickford. Nearly handed them a stupid goal, only saved by Cahill, and was at fault for the goal. A poor night for the lad.
I formally withdraw this remark.

Back
Top Bottom