Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Belgium (Group G) - 19:00 - 28/06/2018

Final Score

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again, you seem to be talking about the first XI, but what about the guys that were on the pitch tonight? What 'experience' did they gain? There were certainly a few there who seemed hesitant and uncertain, and collectively they looked pretty devoid of ideas and invention. Aside from a couple of neat exchanges everything was pretty pedestrian, predictable and linear.

So, either that's because that collection of players aren't up to snuff, in which case, how does that being exposed help them, or they were sent out to intentionally play poorly, in which case, how does that help them?

What happens when one of our first XI is injured and one of the guys who played tonight is thrown on? Will they be ready to prove themselves, or will they be nervous, following a lackluster and toothless display that did little to inspire?

All questions, because I really don't know how I feel, but right now I can't see all this as a positive, and I've yet to be convinced by most of the arguments put forward.
Anyone so insecure and inexperienced as to be traumatised by tonight won't be getting another game in this tournament.

i have a sneaky feeling this Rashford might be yet another failure when he puts on a white shirt.
What a miss, Dog and Duck Level finishing
Do not have sky and dont watch MOTD that much , but keep hearing how brilliant he is, watched the cup final-did very little and that miss was very very poor.

It was strange to watch how we played with Rashford and Vardy up front, normally the idea would be to sit back, absorb some pressure from Belgium and then hit long, quick passes to get them running in behind the defence.

Instead we continued to play out from defence slowly most of the time, completely negating their pace. And then the one time we sent Rashford clear he bottled it.

Definite impact subs both of them, but if that's the best Rashford can do I agree with Sterling continuing to start, at least his link up play with Lingard is good.

i have a sneaky feeling this Rashford might be yet another failure when he puts on a white shirt.
What a miss, Dog and Duck Level finishing
Do not have sky and dont watch MOTD that much , but keep hearing how brilliant he is, watched the cup final-did very little and that miss was very very poor.

tbh the Rashford miss was so bad it made me think something hooky was going on, and I'm still not totally sure it wasn't. Southgate's interview afterwards also got me going :hmm:.

I liked the interview with Martinez, you could see he was a bit miffed they'd won.

tbh the Rashford miss was so bad it made me think something hooky was going on, and I'm still not totally sure it wasn't. Southgate's interview afterwards also got me going :hmm:.

I liked the interview with Martinez, you could see he was a bit miffed they'd won.

Worse for Belgium as they're based near Moscow and the side of the draw we're in now means most games are in and around Moscow.

More travelling for Belgium than he would have wanted, regardless of potential opposition.

if that's the best Rashford can do I agree with Sterling continuing to start, at least his link up play with Lingard is good.
Why would we think that's the best Rashford can do, when we know he can do better?

He's young, not the finished article, but clearly has a lot of talent and offers something different to a lot of other England players. Plenty of players, including the very best, have missed good chances and had quiet games.

Why would we think that's the best Rashford can do, when we know he can do better?

He's young, not the finished article, but clearly has a lot of talent and offers something different to a lot of other England players. Plenty of players, including the very best, have missed good chances and had quiet games.

I'm not writing him off, he's clearly got talent, but starting him seems counter-productive to the effect he'd have coming on against tired defenders.

It was strange to watch how we played with Rashford and Vardy up front, normally the idea would be to sit back, absorb some pressure from Belgium and then hit long, quick passes to get them running in behind the defence.

Instead we continued to play out from defence slowly most of the time, completely negating their pace. And then the one time we sent Rashford clear he bottled it.

Definite impact subs both of them, but if that's the best Rashford can do I agree with Sterling continuing to start, at least his link up play with Lingard is good.

Vardy is not international standard in my opinion, ok may be to bring on for the last few minutes.
His ok with the ball over the top when teams are chasing the game and he can chase onto it.
Arsenal i think can count themselves lucky not to have got him, the ball played to his feet would not be his style. He suits Leicesters style pf play.
Jones another, seems very Average when i see him play, clumsy, poor touch and average distribution.
For me far too many changes and it never seems to work.

Dunno why everyone is going on about the outfield players who wont play again (injuries permitting), but are silent on the worst player on the pitch - Pickford. Nearly handed them a stupid goal, only saved by Cahill, and was at fault for the goal. A poor night for the lad.

Dunno why everyone is going on about the outfield players who wont play again (injuries permitting), but are silent on the worst player on the pitch - Pickford. Nearly handed them a stupid goal, only saved by Cahill, and was at fault for the goal. A poor night for the lad.

Made one decent save at least.

The goal was almost entirely Rose's fault, not Pickford's though.

Edit -

I'm erring towards putting him back on the bench, though. Back to Plan A. Plan B doesn't look so hot.

I can think of two reasons to be cheerful about Colombia. James is clearly struggling - will he even start? Falcao, although he's scored a great goal, just cannot run any more. The Senegal defenders left him for dead yesterday.

Made one decent save at least.

The goal was almost entirely Rose's fault, not Pickford's though.

Edit -

he gets his dive all wrong, and uses the wrong hand. Poor stuff. And making one decent save is the barest of minimums at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom