Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v Germany - Tuesday 29/06 - 17:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I reckon he'll start Sancho high up on the left against Kimmich as he knows him from the Bundesliga.

That then opens up the question of what do you do with Sterling, who has started on the left the first three and is our only goalscorer so far. In a way, I wouldn't be 100% surprised if he drops Sterling and that leads to the MASSIVE TALKING POINT, after we go out on penalties following a 120 mins score draw.

On the right, I think he'll still be tempted by Saka - Foden really was very poor in the first two. Down the middle, I think Grealish's improvisation is better suited to international football than Mount's guile, mainly because they don't have much time to train with each other. But he'll probably go with Mount.

A dull, defensive game on both sides; Germany go 1-0 up in the first 15 minutes and they spend the rest of the game warily circling each other till England fluke one in at 79mins. Then Germany score a ripper in extra time and we have to endure 50000000 years of furrowed-brow commentary about where next for England.

A dull, defensive game on both sides; Germany go 1-0 up in the first 15 minutes and they spend the rest of the game warily circling each other till England fluke one in at 79mins. Then Germany score a ripper in extra time and we have to endure 50000000 years of furrowed-brow commentary about where next for England.
Something along these lines is probably right ...

... but I'm at the hopelessly optimistic stage right now so I'm going with nil nil up to the 80th minute when Harry Kane will score almost accidentally in a goalmouth scramble where the ball goes in off his arse. Tense last ten but England go through, it's coming home, country goes mad, rule Britannia, Boris puts an England shirt on (wrong way round) etc, then we get beat 4 nil by Sweden or someone next round.

It's all gearing up here at work. My colleague (Columbian but supporting England, at least in the Euros! ) hopes she hasn't jinxed us by putting these up but would like people to know she had an edict to do it!!

Another colleague says he has heard that a time traveller 'knows' that England reach the final but lose 2:1 to Italy.

I'm just hoping we have enough toilet paper if it goes to extra time and penalties!

IMG_20210629_075237.jpg

England playing great tournament football. No goals conceded, just enough to win twice against decent - though not great - opposition. Germany have scored lots but conceded lots, young and flawed. England the more stable of the two.

England in 90 by not very much but deserved all the same. 1-0 probably.

I’ve got an hospital appointment at 4 o’clock, will be around 5:30 at the earliest before I get out. Maybe I can get reception on my phone/iPad whilst there. Otherwise it will be on updates from this thread.
ETA: I will be able to listen to 5live on 4G hopefully.

Last edited:
England playing great tournament football. No goals conceded, just enough to win twice against decent - though not great - opposition. Germany have scored lots but conceded lots, young and flawed. England the more stable of the two.
Not really comparable...if England had played France Portugal and Hungary I dont think we'd have clean sheets. Would be seriously soiled.

Flukey 3-0 of course, as per my prediction earlier in the thread.
All England wins are flukey for ABEs. I still warmly remember some maniac on here a few years ago complaining loudly that the seeding system was the only reason England keep being more successful than Ireland because England were consistently seeded higher and therefore had to play inferior teams

All England wins are flukey for ABEs. I still warmly remember some maniac on here a few years ago complaining loudly that the seeding system was the only reason England keep being more successful than Ireland because England were consistently seeded higher and therefore had to play inferior teams

It's a stitch up - they keep insisting on using dodgy metrics like results to determine rankings rather than the more objective 'England are obviously shit.':mad:

It's a stitch up - they keep insisting on using dodgy metrics like results to determine rankings rather than the more objective 'England are obviously shit.':mad:
It's a remarkable study in the ability of complete loons to avoid the more obviously correct "England kind of lurk around the top dozen teams in the world but are consistently fatally flawed when it comes to the crunch". Which is what most English people think ime

Mr. QofG's view

"Be fair, look at it this way: Team A, ranked No 4 in the world, comfortably topped its group and is on a run of nine games without defeat, with a defence that has conceded just five goals in its last 17 matches. Team B, ranked No 12, scraped through its group with four points and wildly inconsistent performances, hasn’t kept a clean sheet in six games and lost 6-0 as recently as November and can also include a defeat by North Macedonia in a World Cup qualifier this year. Team A is playing at home. Who do you think should start as favourites?"

He's not saying England will win but he gets quite angry about naysayers :D

It's only now, 20 years later, that I learn that 10 days after England 5 Germany 1 was 9-11. I remember both, I remember where I was living and with whom. I'd not realised they were so close in time.

Back
Top Bottom