Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England local election results thread

Random

Ethnic nalgocrat
"Labour are defending the South Shields seat in a contest caused by the resignation of David Miliband in March.

Mayoral contests are also being held in Doncaster and North Tyneside....

More than 2,300 seats are up for grabs in county council and unitary authority elections across the length and breadth of England,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22376584

Are UKIP expected to do well? Any places where a left-of-Labour candidate has a chance?

Its sunny; used to be known as 'Labour weather' on election days, and won't the 'kippers be playing golf?

Doncaster mayor will be interesting, NF as well as English Democrats and the looney ex-ED who is currently mayor.

UKIP will be the nights winners, could get 100+ seats.

The left will do even worse than usual, but it is the tory shires voting, in the main, so no big deal.

I'm less concerned about for whom people vote than they actually go and make an informed vote. The democratic process is one of our better responsibilities and it is a shame to see people shirk it.

I'm less concerned about for whom people vote than they actually go and make an informed vote. The democratic process is one of our better responsibilities and it is a shame to see people shirk it.
I can quite see the better informed finding the process not very democratic at all and so choosing not to legitimise it by participating.

You pompous oaf. I'll do what I fucking well like.

My vote is far to important (to me anyway) to be thrown away on a party / person I don't support.

acutally i've always spoilt my ballot paper because i've thought of it as a chance to say my bit and there hasnt been a party i've supported where i've lived, but i've read arguments recently suggesting that you shouldn't even do that because it's still an engagement with the bourgeois state and so somehow legitimising it.

dunno what to think tbh.

acutally i've always spoilt my ballot paper because i've thought of it as a chance to say my bit and there hasnt been a party i've supported where i've lived, but i've read arguments recently suggesting that you shouldn't even do that because it's still an engagement with the bourgeois state and so somehow legitimising it.

dunno what to think tbh.
If you don't go at all they can count it as you being fine with how things are, or apathetic to the extent that you deserve what you get. Maybe not you personally, but the portion of people who don't vote.

What's wrong with an informed abstention? And how do you tell the difference between informed and uninformed votes?

Nothing -- but personally I'd prefer a spoilt ballot paper ("None of the above!" etc or pithier :D ) than simply not bothering. I accept neither make any difference either way, cos returning officers don't distinguish between political spoilt and confusion spoilt, but you get my drift.

(No voting happening here in Wales, so I'm a stay at home!)

dunno what to think tbh.

How do you avoid on a day to day basis engaging with the bourgeois state and somehow legitimising it.I think we should be told

But if you spoil it they can count it as you being too stupid to know how to vote.

Dunno tbh.
They can but it's a wee bit harder, because you've actually turned up and filled in the ballot paper.
Although in the grand scheme of things it doesn't actually matter. I just like the rebellion of it. It's basically legal graffiti.

They count the spoilt papers? If so, then yes, definitely go and spoilt it.
Sorry I know that seems like something really basic but I've not voted before

They can but it's a wee bit harder, because you've actually turned up and filled in the ballot paper.
Although in the grand scheme of things it doesn't actually matter. I just like the rebellion of it. It's basically legal graffiti.

:cool: :)

And there's scope to be quite creative/artistic if you want ;)

(for the tiniest of audiences admittedly, but if you have a mate working on the counting teams with a phone camera, then better publicity could be there there for you ... )

dunno what to think tbh.
surprised you haven't voted for an SP candidate, or hasn't there been one?

:cool: :)

And there's scope to be quite creative/artistic if you want ;)

(for the tiniest of audiences admittedly, but if you have a mate working on the counting teams with a phone camera, then better publicity could be there there for you ... )
There's something really romantic about only a tiny audience seeing your artwork before it's destroyed though. Makes it more personal and amplifies the message. Obviously, this only works if they haven't already seen the same thing 50 times over.

Back
Top Bottom