Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England local election results thread

Well here we are in sunny Donny and it's pick another layer of bureaucratic drivel in the guise of an elected mayor.
We have nine right wing candidates standing and the TUSC candidate.
The English Democrats candidate biggest vote catcher is making St George's day a national holiday, perfect for saving the lives of children at risk mate! Sadly he looks like Dr Mengele!:facepalm:
The current incumbent Davies, former chairman of the local Conservative party and then English Dems is now an independent! As well as still being the father of Shipley Tory MP Phillip Davies.
Then there is the national front (Lower case on purpose cos they are are tiny minded). Asking for support against chemtrails would you believe!:facepalm:
A Tory.:facepalm:
A Lib Dem.:oops:
Labour.:(
3 more Independents.(Closet Tories):facepalm:
A TUSC candidate supported by Bob Crow and Dave Nellist!:hmm:
Who would you pick?
I might stand at the next one, abolish the post and give the money to Shelter and other Homeless charities!

Well here we are in sunny Donny and it's pick another layer of bureaucratic drivel in the guise of an elected mayor.
We have nine right wing candidates standing and the TUSC candidate.
The English Democrats candidate biggest vote catcher is making St George's day a national holiday, perfect for saving the lives of children at risk mate! Sadly he looks like Dr Mengele!:facepalm:
The current incumbent Davies, former chairman of the local Conservative party and then English Dems is now an independent! As well as still being the father of Shipley Tory MP Phillip Davies.
Then there is the national front (Lower case on purpose cos they are are tiny minded). Asking for support against chemtrails would you believe!:facepalm:
A Tory.:facepalm:
A Lib Dem.:oops:
Labour.:(
3 more Independents.(Closet Tories):facepalm:
A TUSC candidate supported by Bob Crow and Dave Nellist!:hmm:
Who would you pick?
I might stand at the next one, abolish the post and give the money to Shelter and other Homeless charities!

The Tory's not Nick Allen is it?

My demand is that all workers have the same level of leave as I currently do ;)

(ahead of 10th June, I've got at least one additional day off every week ... and I'm 4 days a week part time, no Fridays, anyway :cool: ) )

I was sure it was next week - luckily I passed the polling station on the way in.
I can't say I'm highly motivated.
We have a long-serving Libdem who seems to know what he's doing.

How? Not turning up encourages them because they'll think we're all apathetic.
They can think what they want about that - not bothered if they think i'm apathetic or not. However, any increased turnout says that things are OK, look i've got a mandate, not as large as i'd like but it still exists. Spoiled votes mask the real level of turnout and so the real level of people who hold them in utter contempt.

don't think I'm registered to vote at theis new adress.

looks like we've got a BNP candidate standing in everything but the Rural Division. hmm.

Who your best guess for winning the Mayorality there, Sprocket? Realistically like?

As it is voters get two votes the count being made up from all candidates and then second choice votes going to the leading candidates following the first choice count.
Davies, the current mayor got in on the second choice votes last time.
I Davies could get back in purely if voter apathy plays into the hands of the minorities.
Hopefully he will be out on his ear.
Labour only missed out last time because of the disenchantment regarding the previous Labour Mayor Martin Winter and some dodgy stuff going on.
If voters only picked one candidate I am sure Labour would get back in.
The only relevant second choice for dyed in the wool Labour voters is Mary Jackson the TUSC candidate. She has done some sterling support work in the local ex mining villages and is strongly fancied as preferable in these areas.
Labour victory by a hairs breadth I think!

I'd vote for tusc to be honest if they were standing @sprocket

TUSC definitely my first choice frogwoman. Just hope we are not just wind in sails again!

How? Not turning up encourages them because they'll think we're all apathetic.
The purpose of elections is to legitimise authority, there's a limit to the amount of apathy they can stand before that legitimacy is put into question.

(and I'm not arguing that on its own it's worthwhile, FWIW)

You're all coming up with quite good points if I'm honest. I still prefer spoiling the ballot paper though. I think it's the act of having physically done something to show anger. I dunno.

As it is voters get two votes the count being made up from all candidates and then second choice votes going to the leading candidates following the first choice count.
Davies, the current mayor got in on the second choice votes last time.
I Davies could get back in purely if voter apathy plays into the hands of the minorities.
Hopefully he will be out on his ear.
Labour only missed out last time because of the disenchantment regarding the previous Labour Mayor Martin Winter and some dodgy stuff going on.
If voters only picked one candidate I am sure Labour would get back in.
The only relevant second choice for dyed in the wool Labour voters is Mary Jackson the TUSC candidate. She has done some sterling support work in the local ex mining villages and is strongly fancied as preferable in these areas.
Labour victory by a hairs breadth I think!

TUSC definitely my first choice frogwoman. Just hope we are not just wind in sails again!

The elephant graveyard that is TUSC

Back
Top Bottom