Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Election Window Posters: How's your neighbourhood?

Went out on a dedicated 'poster-hunt' walk today; didn't see one single example.

Nowt through the door, nowt in windows and nowt in the local fields.

I've not looked specifically this time around, but the area always returns a tory mp, but some of the local councillors are labour / co-op or lib-dems. Green and independent candidates are not unknown.

We were also passed by an old school car-with-loudspeakers blaring out a recording of Nicola Sturgeon exhorting us to vote both votes SNP.

About even Plaid and Labour round here, with a few Neil McEvoy Propel. Fewer than usual. Not seen anything for any of the other parties (Cardiff West)

Just been talking about this.
None of us seemed able to decide what a county council actually does.
Pretty much everything that actually matters to you at a local level. From running the libraries to ruling on the more important planning matters (and deciding the planning rules for the district council to follow) to deciding on highways issues to running the schools. You name it, it’s probably run either by county or district council.

Pretty much everything that actually matters to you at a local level. From running the libraries to ruling on the more important planning matters (and deciding the planning rules for the district council to follow) to deciding on highways issues to running the schools. You name it, it’s probably run either by county or district council.
Aha..

Highways issues they are making a mess with, pothole city here!

Depends where you are. In some places, it's the city council that does much of the important stuff.

Depends where you are. In some places, it's the city council that does much of the important stuff.
City councils just substitute for district councils in what I said. They are responsible for carrying out generally lower level stuff like rubbish collection and lower level planning decisions. It’s still the county council that does things like highways, schools, police etc. (NB: district/city councils are responsible for housing too, which is obviously an important role).

Obviously some large cities combine the two into single unitary authorities for their metropolitan area. But that’s clearly not what we’re talking about here because then there is no county council.

Last edited:
Tory leaftlet through the door in South London dominated by 'Open our Roads closed by Labour'

Quite a few posters for Taking the Initiative party as well

No posters anywhere, just leaflets, including the one that the LibDems posted through my letterbox at 5:40am the other day, waking me up.

I‘m surprised I’ve never seen an anti-poster, like a party one with a red X across it and some suitably pithy injunction not to vote for them.

City councils just substitute for district councils in what I said. They are responsible for carrying out generally lower level stuff like rubbish collection and lower level planning decisions. It’s still the country council that does things like highways, schools, police etc. (NB: district/city councils are responsible for housing too, which is obviously an important role).

Obviously some large cities combine the two into single unitary authorities for their metropolitan area. But that’s clearly not what we’re talking about here because then there is no country council.
Believe me, I am very aware of what city and county councils do.

Believe me, I am very aware of what city and county councils do.
Then why say that city councils do what county councils do?

Here's the government's own description of them:

Many parts of England have 2 tiers of local government:

• county councils
  • district, borough or city councils

County councils
These are responsible for services across the whole of a county, like:

• education
  • transport
  • planning
  • fire and public safety
  • social care
  • libraries
  • waste management
  • trading standards
District, borough and city councils
These cover a smaller area than county councils. They’re usually responsible for services like:

• rubbish collection
  • recycling
  • Council Tax collections
  • housing
  • planning applications
So it's not the case that city councils substitute for county councils -- they substitute for district and borough councils.

Just counted posters while out to the supermarket (20 minute walk):
5 SNP
3 Green
2 Labour
1 Lib Dems
1 Alba
0 Tories (which is interesting as this is Morningside...)

We've also just had a car go past the flat with an Alba trailer and a loudspeaker going.

None in my street. Even in the window of the 2019 Labour GE candidate's house lol.

A lot of Tory filth through the door but only one door knocker who got told to piss off. According to my street's group chat all the local Tory bigwigs were on our street at that moment so I hope my voice carried.

Back
Top Bottom