Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Republican base? I could be wrong here, on both points about base and appeal, but, despite his anti-Muslim rhetoric, he does not walk a proper bible belt line at all. I think he's unique.

Can you think of a Republican candidate in your lifetime like him?

You're probably quite a bit older than me so would be really interested to know.
It's no so much the particular positions IMO as the posture -- "against the awful liberal agenda" as it were -- so in that sense there's plenty of candidates that resemble him and there have been noted populists in the past. The positions that make you anti-what-the-base-hate, saying-the-unsayable of course shift with both world and domestic events.

The George Wallace campaign of '68 is seen as one of the classic examples of a populist candidate, though wouldn't claim to be much of an expert on it. Trump is really not that new, and you had people like Father Coughlin way back who though they didn't stand for office brought that sort of extreme rhetoric into American politics. I.e. I don't think he's unprecedented.

You mean to say that you have never been in the Trump Tower?!?! Then I cannot believe that you have the sheer AUDACITY to peddle your ignorance around here. You must holiday in the Trump Tower, otherwise you won't know anything about Donald Trump!

I have actually been in the cunt's presence - Somewhere else in New York. He was in full playing to the gallery/basking in adoration mode as well.

If I had any doubts about any aspect of him before, they completely evaporated at that moment.

The George Wallace campaign of '68 is seen as one of the classic examples of a populist candidate, though wouldn't claim to be much of an expert on it. Trump is really not that new, and you had people like Father Coughlin way back who though they didn't stand for office brought that sort of extreme rhetoric into American politics. I.e. I don't think he's unprecedented.
another enthusiastic distributor of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

You mean to say that you have never been in the Trump Tower?!?! Then I cannot believe that you have the sheer AUDACITY to peddle your ignorance around here. You must holiday in the Trump Tower, otherwise you won't know anything about Donald Trump!
On a faintly related note, I don't know how much Trump is responsible for everything in his towers, but this is a fine example of how not to run a restaurant:

America at the Trump hotel: The food is amazing – but you shouldn’t eat here, ever

I want him here - I want to see him mocked and vilified - humiliated and heckled - fuck, I would be in the front of the queue.

I am seriously not liking the banning response - even here on Urban I can't help noticing calls for banning and it really gets my goat. So what if someone is a reprehensible racist twat - can we not challenge without a ban? - tiny steps to repression and then we are all being scutinised.

I want him here - I want to see him mocked and vilified - humiliated and heckled - fuck, I would be in the front of the queue.

I am seriously not liking the banning response - even here on Urban I can't help noticing calls for banning and it really gets my goat. So what if someone is a reprehensible racist twat - can we not challenge without a ban? - tiny steps to repression and then we are all being scutinised.

I think the petition is good thing for a couple of reasons; but not because I particularly want Trump banned from the UK I think if that's what he thinks and wants to announce it than so be it: at least you know where he stands. The reason I like the petition is because of the more details section on the petition which reads:

"The UK has banned entry to many individuals for hate speech. The same principles should apply to everyone who wishes to enter the UK.
If the United Kingdom is to continue applying the 'unacceptable behaviour' criteria to those who wish to enter its borders, it must be fairly applied to the rich as well as poor, and the weak as well as powerful"

I don't think the petition will actually work because of his status (multi billionaire/ presidential candidate); but it holds a mirror up to this legislation and who it's been used against and who it will not be used against

I tend to agree with you but the thing is that those tiny steps to repression, and some quite large ones, took place years ago. Teenagers get locked up for years for posting stupid shit on twitter with an audience of a handful of people, it seems to me that the only ones who have impunity, and people arguing on their behalf for that matter, from legislation which targets freedom of expression are the rich and the powerful.

I tend to agree with you but the thing is that those tiny steps to repression, and some quite large ones, took place years ago. Teenagers get locked up for years for posting stupid shit on twitter with an audience of a handful of people, it seems to me that the only ones who have impunity, and people arguing on their behalf for that matter, from legislation which targets freedom of expression are the rich and the powerful.

well yeah it is kind of ironic that a "twitter troll" or an EDLer writing on his facebook the same sort of shit as donald trump has said (ie some MRA/gamergate idiot saying that someone is pissed at him because "she has got blood coming out of whatever") would probably be arrested and held-up as an example of "vile online abuse" whereas when donald trump says it, it's fine

I think the petition is good thing for a couple of reasons; but not because I particularly want Trump banned from the UK I think if that's what he thinks and wants to announce it than so be it: at least you know where he stands. The reason I like the petition is because of the more details section on the petition which reads:

"The UK has banned entry to many individuals for hate speech. The same principles should apply to everyone who wishes to enter the UK.
If the United Kingdom is to continue applying the 'unacceptable behaviour' criteria to those who wish to enter its borders, it must be fairly applied to the rich as well as poor, and the weak as well as powerful"

I don't think the petition will actually work because of his status (multi billionaire/ presidential candidate); but it holds a mirror up to this legislation and who it's been used against and who it will not be used against
You support repressive authoritarian legislation and measures because it demonstrates the repressive authoritarian nature of the state - is that right Ulrike?

when you've got that much money what is in the public interest to pursue changes radically. Thats why Lord Janner gets to live out his days in peace rather than face the trial he should have had 20 years ago

Plenty football supporters have been subject to almost reverse measures.

all these people pointing out well "people have already been banned from the UK based on what they've said so why not donald trump as well". is that supposed to be a good thing? I'm not sure it is tbh. why should we rely on the state to stop people getting into the country based on what they've said? that argument was used for dieudonne as well.

the one good thing about all this is that if he doesn't get the nomination he's likely to leave and take a sizeable amount of his voters with him, causing a huge split in the republican party.

If only!

When Trump is here, his exposure is very carefully limited and he's mostly cosseted away on his property behind several layers of security and police. His "walking the course" ritual isn't him striding over the lonely, empty dunes - He's got so many people round him that the only way to identify him is when the wind off the North Sea catches his combover and sends it vertical - above everyone else!

The nearest I can think of to anyone getting close enough to heckle was when he presented to the Holyrood committee on windfarms.

article-0-12C32999000005DC-590_634x437.jpg

And arrived with an uncharacteristically small security detail.
That's his local head of security going for the guy with the balloon.

I signed (eventually), I don't want him banned, but I want it discussed along with how much it will cost us to protect him, safe spaces and freedom of speech.

(what pushed me over the edge, was his response to it: I built a golf course ergo UK politicians should be permanently indebted to me)

Last edited:
If only!

When Trump is here, his exposure is very carefully limited and he's mostly cosseted away on his property behind several layers of security and police. His "walking the course" ritual isn't him striding over the lonely, empty dunes - He's got so many people round him that the only way to identify him is when the wind off the North Sea catches his combover and sends it vertical - above everyone else!

The nearest I can think of to anyone getting close enough to heckle was when he presented to the Holyrood committee on windfarms.

article-0-12C32999000005DC-590_634x437.jpg

And arrived with an uncharacteristically small security detail.
That's his local head of security going for the guy with the balloon.
He looks the part :). I wouldn't mess with him...

He's not a politician, rather a very rich arsehole seeking to be a politician. But if you can see 'authenticity' crack on,
As for "perfectly ordinary rational people" ?

Well, he IS a politician, just not a party politician. He's seeking to influence national politics. Therefore, by definition, he's a politician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom