Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

Would surely be better to meet The Rolling Stones and inspire them to write Goodbye Ruby Sunday.
Or meet the Velvet Underground and inspire them to write Tuesday Morning.
Or inspire the The Bangles to write Manic Wednesday.

Yeah, space/time visualiser. Not seen that one for 30 years.

Hopefully Paul McCartney gets replaced with a Zygon. I don't know what will happen in the episode though.

The Beatles is a minor gripe for me. The doctor has always met wankers from throughout history. I know there has always been a fair bit of magic posing as science in Doctor Who but for it to drop the science part of the fiction will genuinely piss me off. Hopefully it will not be as big a change as I've been led to believe.
Nah hope the new doctor just nicks Paul McCartney shoes

Paul dies in a car crash in 1966 and Doctor Who, in a sweet Auton mask and under the pseudonym Billy Shears, helps record the last four Beatles albums.

Paul dies in a car crash in 1966 and Doctor Who under the pseudonym Billy Shears helps record the last four Beatles albums.
Bob Dylan dies in 1966 and the Doctor replaces him, that is why there is a hiatus, at the end which he had taken a new turn, as evidenced on the album John Wesley Harding.

Would like to see the show becoming less British centric.

Heard they did that with Chibnal, segregation America and India... but haven't seen them yet.

Heard they did that with Chibnal, segregation America and India... but haven't seen them yet.
Two of his run's best. The "India" one is pretty much a straight historical with the Sci-fi concept (in someways similar to that in Twice Upon a Time) being slightly removed from the main plot. Only watched all the Whitaker episodes once but these might be worth watching again.

I like that they tried, but there were big issues with both these episodes. Not least that they were quite dull, as far as I recall. When it comes to historicals, I think they work better when they're not quite such challenging subjects, to be honest. The challenging subjects, like segregation or partition / ethnic cleansing are better dealt with through allegorical stories on another planet, in my view. Perhaps that's a cop-out but I think that makes them easier to explore in an entertaining way.

Two of his run's best. The "India" one is pretty much a straight historical with the Sci-fi concept (in someways similar to that in Twice Upon a Time) being slightly removed from the main plot. Only watched all the Whitaker episodes once but these might be worth watching again.
The Punjab one is much better than the Parks one, which has a literal “and this is the moral of the story” ending. C Chib with his heavy hand and his on-the-nose writing taken to lengths even Aesop spurned.

The Flux story was bad.
The Flux was destroying the whole universe, but it was not destroying the whole universe.

Reactions: Chz
I like that they tried, but there were big issues with both these episodes. Not least that they were quite dull, as far as I recall. When it comes to historicals, I think they work better when they're not quite such challenging subjects, to be honest. The challenging subjects, like segregation or partition / ethnic cleansing are better dealt with through allegorical stories on another planet, in my view. Perhaps that's a cop-out but I think that makes them easier to explore in an entertaining way.
Easier yes though I think there is room for both. It was also part of the educate idea Doctor Who started with that Chibnall wanted to bring back. I can't think of the last episode that did what you suggest though. It must be years ago. I can think of a few Earth based ones that are in a similar vein but they're few and far between as well. There.is a bit of a parallel with Star Trek which has largely jettisoned those stories where an apparently enlightened humanity visit a planet with a social problem. It's now more around problems with federation itself finding those issues they had to travel to the final frontier to seek out are now alive and well at home.

I’m sorry Whittaker was so ill-served; she was a great Doctor.
Agree with that. Felt it started tailing off during Capaldi, though did quite enjoy last 3 three and will give the new fella a shot, think they they'd have been better served with another LONG hiatus and come back like they did with Eccelstone rather than getting into bed with Disney. Give a fresh generation the chance to grow up a breathe new life into it again

Agree with that. Felt it started tailing off during Capaldi, though did quite enjoy last 3 three and will give the new fella a shot, think they they'd have been better served with another LONG hiatus and come back like they did with Eccelstone rather than getting into bed with Disney. Give a fresh generation the chance to grow up a breathe new life into it again
I’m looking forward to NG. He is charismatic, handsome, has the acting chops, enthusiastic. I think he’ll be seriously great. Plus a Doctor dancing at a club in a kilt. Thank you, RTD!

I know there’s trepidation over the goblins, but fantasy isn’t new in Who. The best Pertwee story, Daemons, is pure fantasy. The Master summoning a Daemon to gain his power? Ok, it was thinly explained away as an ancient alien, but that was just an excuse. It’s Hammer Horror all the way!

Ha ha ha! He thinks in modes, so if I want to do something that isn’t strictly modal it upsets him. We have a song that he thinks of as moving from D mixolydian to D Lydian. I play a riff that stays around the D dominant seventh arpeggio right through those passages and so there’s moments when he’s playing a major seven when I’m playing a flat seven and he is alarmed by the clash. I pointed out to him that he isn’t alarmed by the clash between his sharp four and my perfect fifth during the Lydian passages, but that didn’t wash. That’s fine. It’s the two sevens clash (reggae fans) that he objects to.

What further annoys him is our chromatic loving bass player who likes to chip in “there’s no such thing as a wrong note, only a wrong rhythm” (by which he means don’t play chromatic notes on the down beats).

This debate went on for ages until the drummer suggested we play another song.
jesus christ. cant people just use their fucking ears to deceide if something works or not instead of chucking theory at each other? :facepalm::p

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to NG. He is charismatic, handsome, has the acting chops, enthusiastic. I think he’ll be seriously great. Plus a Doctor dancing at a club in a kilt. Thank you, RTD!

I know there’s trepidation over the goblins, but fantasy isn’t new in Who. The best Pertwee story, Daemons, is pure fantasy. The Master summoning a Daemon to gain his power? Ok, it was thinly explained away as an ancient alien, but that was just an excuse. It’s Hammer Horror all the way!
I'd recommend that anyone should watch Dæmons whenever they can. It's glorious.

I think that if the Chinballs era taught us anything, it’s that merely having a good actor play the doctor is not enough.

Back
Top Bottom