Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

This is not true. Lots of thinkers, from the ancient world on, had ideas about gravity, some of which turned out to be more accurate than others. Galileo is no more distinguished than many of these people on the subject. But Newton was the first to conceive of it as a universal force that exists between every single object in the universe, and describe the interaction mathematically.
Galileo showed that two objects of different masses would fall with the same acceleration, which contradicted the wisdom of the ages. Newton built on the work of Galileo.

Galileo showed that two objects of different masses would fall with the same acceleration, which contradicted the wisdom of the ages. Newton built on the work of Galileo.
"Standing on the shoulders of giants"
That said, universal gravitation is a long step from objects of a different weight fall at the same speed.

Galileo showed that two objects of different masses would fall with the same acceleration, which contradicted the wisdom of the ages.
Galileo wasn't even the first person in the 16th century to suggest this, as you would know if you took a cursory reading of the Wikipedia page on gravity (something I did definitely not just do).

Something I also definitely didn't just learn from Wikipedia is that in the 7th century an Indian mathematician called Brahmagupta proposed the word 'gurutvākarṣaṇ' for the name of the Earth's attractive force, derived from the Hindi word 'gurutva' meaning 'weight', and presumably from the same Indo-Aryan root as the Latin 'gravis'.

Galileo wasn't even the first person in the 16th century to suggest this, as you would know if you took a cursory reading of the Wikipedia page on gravity (something I did definitely not just do).

Something I also definitely didn't just learn from Wikipedia is that in the 7th century an Indian mathematician called Brahmagupta proposed the word 'gurutvākarṣaṇ' for the name of the Earth's attractive force, derived from the Hindi word 'gurutva' meaning 'weight', and presumably from the same Indo-Aryan root as the Latin 'gravis'.
Interesting!
Which at least proves my point that Newton did not discover gravity.

Galileo was the first person to express a theory of relativity mathematically, which laid a foundation for Newton's work

1st: Collapsed due to his body "wearing a bit thin"
2nd: Forced by Time Lords as punishment
3rd: Lethal dose of radiation
4th: Severe fall
5th: Poisoning
6th: Sustained injuries in The Rani 's attack on the TARDIS (possibly not on an exercise bike)
7th: Complications from surgery following being shot
8th: Enforced/requested
War: Following successful re-working of the Time War, naturally regenerated
9th: Inhaled the heart of the TARDIS
10th: Intentionally poisoned to save another's life
11th: Having been awarded extra regenerations, a natural one occurred
12th: Repeated injuries
13th: Wounded

14th: Struck by laser beam and bi-generated into future self.

Which at least proves my point that Newton did not discover gravity.
Well no, the first hominid to drop a rock off a cliff-face did. Newton was the first to proclaim it a universal constant of material physics and write a big, thick book about it. You know how scientists are - big, thick books count. Sort of like explorers and their flags. :)

Well no, the first hominid to drop a rock off a cliff-face did. Newton was the first to proclaim it a universal constant of material physics and write a big, thick book about it. You know how scientists are - big, thick books count. Sort of like explorers and their flags. :)
Well, the observation that things fall is not the same as discovering gravity.

Yes, I accept that Newton was the first person on Earth to devleop a full mathematical treatment of gravity . A Time Lord on Gallifrey did so earlier, but I imagine that someone else in the Galaxy beat the Time Lords to it.

6th: Sustained injuries in The Rani 's attack on the TARDIS (possibly not on an exercise bike)

A Galvanic beam.

I enjoyed that as much as the other eps - nitpicking about some bits, like I wish they hadn't had the Toymaker do bad fake Deutschlisch for so long, because I do get that it was intentional, but it went on too long and became annoying - but loving the story and the experience overall.

Ncuti looks pretty good as the next Doctor. Genuinely different vibe to the others, and even though he wasn't on screen long he managed to be both sweetly camp and believable as someone who who could be utterly ruthless and in command.

I hope they do go somewhere with the "mavity" alternate universe hint. Even though it really is not the way language works. And it doesn't matter that it's a kids' show, because it's still stupid, and it doesn't matter that it's scifi because scifi doesn't mean "no normal world rules apply at all ever." If it was an alternate universe that could also explain why Newton was a cheery chap. (I don't care that the actor was black, and think it was pretty obvious that that wasn't why Kabbes disliked him). In some ways time travel creates alternate universes all the time, but they don't usually acknowledge that.
"And it doesn't matter that it's a kids' show, because it's still stupid, and it doesn't matter that it's scifi because scifi doesn't mean "no normal world rules apply at all ever.""

Yes, all fiction must conform to the rules of plot.

The fate of Tory leaders in 2022?

I think people are actually arguing that just because something is for children and science fiction doesn't mean that it shouldn't also be as good as it could be.
That is exactly my position.
I have seen other programmes aimed at children that are better written than Doctor Who.

🤣 It’s amazing the different reactions! My thought was “so that’s why the Doctors look older in the Tales of the Tardis, and why the Curator is Old Tom Baker”. I think it’s a great idea and has so many possibilities.

But what do I know? I’m not really a science fiction fan.
The tales of the tardis logic got a bit confused. At first it is suggested it's all going on in the tardis' mind. It only knew the assistants from the tardis point of view. It knew Jamie and zoe during their time in the tardis and knew their memories were wiped, but because these were only the tardis memories of Jamie and Zoe they had not lost their memories of each other. . . . however. . . . I think they knew what happened to themselves next (beyond the tardis). If not Jamie and Zoe then definitely Perry and Colin Baker. Perry talked about what she did later with Brian Blessed.

yeah, definitely the weakest of the three.

when the Toymaker was reeling of his list of the companions and their fates, Amy was an odd choice to include.
"she died of old age" "well that's alright then!"
yes, it is?

felt like RTD was rehashing himself here.
big things like the villain making an entrance dancing around to diegetic naff pop music, a second David Tennant to live on with the departing companion.
and little things like The Doctor and Donna being separated by closing doors exactly the same as last week's episode.

Last edited:
I had felt the hand at the end picking up the tooth was a bit of 10 foot high letters where just the mention of its inhabitant earlier would have sufficed. But then a friend who is a big fan of the man said, "But that is RTD. If there are 10 foot high letters available, he's going to use them."

yeah, definitely the weakest of the three.

when the Toymaker was reeling of his list of the companions and their fates, Amy was an odd choice to include.
"she died of old age" "well that's alright then!"
yes, it is?

felt like RTD was rehashing himself here.
big things like the villain making an entrance dancing around to diegetic naff pop music, a second David Tennant to live on with the departing companion.
and little things like The Doctor and Donna being separated by closing doors exactly the same as last week's episode.
Well Amy died of old age in a different time period from the one she intended. Not exactly a happy ending. The puppets sequence - and the Toymaker's retort - was one of my favourite things about that episode.

It did feel a bit RTD greatest hits but I think he can be forgiven for that for these three 60th anniversary specials. Let's see how Season 1 unfolds.

Back
Top Bottom