Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you want AV for the UK? Cast your vote here!

AV referendum, May 2011

• Total voters
I didn't say they couldn't, I said they wouldn't be able to rely on it like they have in the past under fptp. Parties will still be able to achieve majorities in parliament with av, but if they do, it'll be a fairer reflection of the electorate's wishes instead of just being handed to them on a plate after achieving a mere 30 to 40% of the vote.
What does this garbage even mean? AV will give parties big majorities on 30-40% of the vote just like FPTP (Aus 2007 election, Labour 44% vote, majority of 16) or even give larger majorities (BBC link I previously posted).

I don't agree that lib dem second prefs will go to the tories at the next election, why do you think that? If the coalition makes it that far then only their own diehards will probably vote for them anyway and traditionally they're far closer to Labour than the tories.
Because any LibDem voters that would have voted LD 1st, Lab 2nd are likely to be among those LibDem voters who have already jumped ship. There was some polling done by YouGov which backed this up.
The effect av might have on the tory vote is only a side issue in the debate anyway.
Then why do you and a8 keep bringing it up.

True enough - but given that they are nowhere near the threshold under FPTP in 99% of the seats that's not much of an immediate concern.

It is if they can't hold onto the seat they have and takes them further away from the few seats they are now just within a chance of contending.

You misunderstand what I was saying - the point is not that the Greens would get their due share of representation under AV (they wouldn't) but they would at least get to see how much support they actually have (they don't at present as the turnout is so low at the Euros, and their vote gets squeezed from tactical voting at GEs).

So your new argument is that the point of AV is not to get them a due share of representation but to see how many people support them. That's it? That's your argument? That's how smaller parties will be "rewarded with its true degree of 1st preference support"?

Whoop-de-do! That's me convinced. :facepalm:

Remember that the next GE is probably 4 years away. By then the LDs will have begun to re-establish their "equidistance"
How the FUCK did you manage to come to that conclusion?
The LDs are a neo-lib-led party.They're where they're gonna be - right now.

D'oh :facepalm: The whole point is that they haven't had a first "bite of the cherry" because their candidate has been eliminated before their vote counts.

FPTP does not eliminate any candidates. But the candidate with the most votes wins.

Surely that is a basic requirement for fairness, that - the candidate with the most votes wins ..

But in the case of AV that does not apply because the losing candidates get another bite of the cherry, they may even overturn the will of the electorate and cause a candidate who DID NOT get the most votes to win.

How is that fair or even logical?

Surely that is a basic requirement for fairness, that - the candidate with the most votes wins ..

why should one third of voters be able to elect a candidate opposed by two-thirds of the electorate. This can happen under FPTP.

AV means every voter can both a)vote for the party of their choice and b)influence the outcome.

Why is this not fair?

How the FUCK did you manage to come to that conclusion?
The LDs are a neo-lib-led party.They're where they're gonna be - right now.

Neo-lib led certainly. But there are more LDs facing Tories in 2nd, than needing to win by beating Labour. Appealing only to Tories is a suicidal position for them to take. They aren't that stupid.

What does this garbage even mean? AV will give parties big majorities on 30-40% of the vote just like FPTP (Aus 2007 election, Labour 44% vote, majority of 16) or even give larger majorities (BBC link I previously posted).

Because any LibDem voters that would have voted LD 1st, Lab 2nd are likely to be among those LibDem voters who have already jumped ship. There was some polling done by YouGov which backed this up.
Then why do you and a8 keep bringing it up.

I only "keep bringing it up" in response to others responding etc...etc...

I realise that it's an inconvenient truth for those on the left who support fptp to deal with, but the tories are clearly more likely to be worse off with av. Your own link backs that up.

why should one third of voters be able to elect a candidate opposed by two-thirds of the electorate. This can happen under FPTP.

The FPTP means that the candidate who gets the most votes wins. It is simple an effective, the more candidates there are the smaller the majority it is likely that the winner will achieve but still it harks to the simple fair rule - the candidate who gets the most votes wins.

AV means every voter can both a)vote for the party of their choice and b)influence the outcome.

Why is this not fair?

Because they get two bites of the cherry, while others do not. Fundamentally unfair. Can you really not see that?

Plus AV can overturn the choice of the first preferences, how can that possibly be fair?

Why do you think UKIP the Greens et al don't get many / any MPs? it is because they are not popular choices amongst the electorate, not because the voting system is unfair.

I have this delicious image of you standing over your laptop, screaming and waving your arms about and yet still able to type your posts at the same time. Keep it up mate! :D
I have this undelicious image of you as a complete,braindamaged moron.
Unfortunately, it closely reflects reality.:rolleyes:

Because it's the surest indicator that the political effect of a No vote is likely to benefit the Tories.

Back
Top Bottom