Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you own a dressing gown?

Have always been at work for most of the day so have never felt comfortable enough to leave a dog at home while I work. Not even cats like it much.

Even though I’ve had cats in my life for most of my life, I’ve never been a good seat for a cat as I can’t stay still long enough for them to relax. :( maybe I’m a dog person who just never had the chance

I get that, OH is way too fidgety and neither of the current cats will even try to sit on him. They are glued to me. It isn't that cats don't like him btw, they will both wander over to him to say hello or take a treat from him, but they won't sit on him. Radar absolutely adored him mind you, but Radar wasn't a lap cat, he was a more sit on your head and lick your eyelids while you are asleep and then try to terrorise your feet cat.

I get that, OH is way too fidgety and neither of the current cats will even try to sit on him. They are glued to me. It isn't that cats don't like him btw, they will both wander over to him to say hello or take a treat from him, but they won't sit on him. Radar absolutely adored him mind you, but Radar wasn't a lap cat, he was a more sit on your head and lick your eyelids while you are asleep and then try to terrorise your feet cat.
Leeloo was like that. She only ever sat on my friend Alison when she came to visit every Sunday. She always had a really nice woolly jumper on though and she kept right still cos she was nearly always knitting. Funnily enough, Leeloo went to live with her when I went on my travels. Leeloo thrived cos she had a garden and A spent more time at home. Leeloo never quite forgave me though and was always a bit standoffish with me ever since. I miss that beautiful cat.

Leeloo was like that. She only ever sat on my friend Alison when she came to visit every Sunday. She always had a really nice woolly jumper on though and she kept right still cos she was nearly always knitting. Funnily enough, Leeloo went to live with her when I went on my travels. Leeloo thrived cos she had a garden and A spent more time at home. Leeloo never quite forgave me though and was always a bit standoffish with me ever since. I miss that beautiful cat.

I remember your photos of Leeloo, she was indeed a most beautiful cat :)

I have two toweled bath robe styled ones (1 plain white and one blue TOS Science division style one. Officer judging by the cuffs) and two Japanese yukata serving essentially the same purpose.
I would also have to admit I wear none of these.

They are all too small or in a state of disrepair.
I am looking to sew my own at some point with a reinforced arse section.

100% for sure
That really depends on what you mean by authentic and kimono. I have a yukata from Japan. It is a type of Japanese kimono.

I'm guessing your talking about the type designated as a traditional heritage type.

However to say the other kimonos are not kimonos is a bit like saying only champagne is a sparkling wine and other sparkling wines are not authentic.

Kimono is quite a general term.
please correct me if I'm wrong japanophiles.

Like a lot of us, I have seasonal dressing gowns. I have 2 summery ones - one is pale blue silk, with giant paeonies and the other one is yellow cotton. Then I have a man's gown, (probably more like a smoking jacket), in dark blue and plum jacquard, a green velvet robe, a dark red wool one...I have a cold house, a lot of stairs and numerous offspring (and their partners). Everyone has multiple dressing gowns. (and sheepskin slippers). I consider a gownie and robe to be my main indoor outfit. Mucking about in the garden and greenhouse in my (loads more) comfortable dressing gowns is a joy.

Mine disappeared! Hood, deep pockets, cotton, proper nice and comfy, nice colour. Don't know what the heck's happened to it. I'll have to get a new one.

I have a green towelling one. I only wear it after a bath or shower until I go back to bedroom for clothes.

I have ALWAYS wanted an old fashioned woolen check patterned one with a multicoloured cord.
I don't even know if they make them anymore?
My parents have them. Made by Foxford woollen mills. They are 60yrs old (the dressing gowns)

I searched online for similar but I dont want second hand in this...

At the moment I have a whitw towelling one for after bath or shower.
A light cotton one for Summer.
A pink fluffy thing for winter.

But ideally I would love an old fashioned woolen one with big pockets, braiding and a cord belt .

Like this...View attachment 269027
Sigh....
Are you Arthur Dent?

What do people without them do at the weekend, when you get up, have some coffee and lounge about for a bit before you even contemplate jumping in the shower? :eek:
I don't bother to put clothes on. In fact, due to the heat, I seldom get dressed unless I'm going out.

An everyday one that I wear every day, of course. As I'm WFH I'm normally in it till lunchtime.

I have a thick hooded one for the winter which is really too warm to wear inside

A kimono for Hong Kong Phooey impressions

Last edited:
So do all you dressing gown people get out of bed, put them on, then start doing stuff around the house in them before having a shit, shave, and shower, or do you complete your ablutions and then put the things on?

This thread makes me realise I've never given any thought at all to dressing gowns. I've got three:

A big soft one that's like a cross between towelling and a furry rug that I like to bury myself in when I emerge from bed in the winter.

A medium one that I've never liked. I don't know where it came from or how long I've had it. I asked my partner if she knew and she said "you've always had it" - we've been together 27 years. Have I really had it that long? That's how little thought I give to dressing gowns. It's just there, every year, when it's too warm or cold for the other ones I do like. A threadbare thing that isn't comfortable or stylish. It's only this thread that's alerted me to the idea I can throw it in the fabric recycling and buy a new one, so thanks for that.

And I've got a thin cotton one for summer. My mum bought it for my dad just before he was diagnosed with brain cancer and he never wore it, so she gave it to me when he died. That dressing gown means far more to me than an ordinary Debenhams dressing gown should.

So do all you dressing gown people get out of bed, put them on, then start doing stuff around the house in them before having a shit, shave, and shower, or do you complete your ablutions and then put the things on?

The former. I’ve got up this morning, put my dressing gown on while I make coffee/potter around. I don’t have my shower until No.1 son has finished in the bathroom because he leaves before me.

I sleep in just my pants, so yes. First thing I do when I get out of bed is pull on my dressing gown, otherwise I'd be doing my ablutions and getting the kids up, fed and dressed in totally unsuitable attire.

Ive got 4. A big fluffy one for when it's cold that I'll often put on over clothes in the evening because it's warmer than a jumper.

Then I've got 3 thin cotton ones of varying lengths for warmer days. They are all pretty and flowery and one is quite glamorous.

I get up and immediately put one on. I don't have the heating on very high on the mornings because I get too hot getting ready for work so it's necessary to put one on to potter about before showering.

I'll be in one for hours on the weekend, even after showering, if I can't be arsed to get dressed. Might be all day if I'm not going out anywhere which has been most weekends lately.

Back
Top Bottom