Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you own a dressing gown?

I have a fluffy grey winter one which I never wear as it's a bit tight in the arms and a bit too short on me - I need to put that in the charity shop pile and get a better one.
I love my summer one, which is cotton and in a lovely blue print. When I have a hot summer holiday again I'm going to wear it outside as a beachy kimono coat.

I have a green towelling one which I often wear as a sort of housecoat. I keep snagging the belt on things and pulling one or other of the lugs off so I have to sew them back - a small pain. My house is quite cold so it is welcome during the daytime and something about having my thighs covered is nice and warming.

Going to put it on now while I cook my tea. Definitely a house coat! :) :(

Nope, no dressing gown.

I am thinking of investing in a towelling one though. Actually, I've been thinking about it for a long time. Either I don't really need one, or I should get my finger out and get one, particularly if frequent hospital visits are to be anticipated. :hmm:

I have one. Toweling and comfy. Got an odd stain on it which I believe to be bleach.

I hate hotel ones - white, too small and scratchy

I have one. Toweling and comfy. Got an odd stain on it which I believe to be bleach.

I hate hotel ones - white, too small and scratchy

Maybe that's why maomao hates them.

I have seven, which admittedly is more than average. Two kimonos - one at home, one at the GF's place - two big thick ones (one for my GF), an old dark one worn when dying hair, a white towelling robe, and a really light, short one for summer. I don't usually wear pyjamas so they get a lot of use when going to the loo or making a morning cuppa.

Last edited:
I have two toweled bath robe styled ones (1 plain white and one blue TOS Science division style one. Officer judging by the cuffs) and two Japanese yukata serving essentially the same purpose.

Nope, no dressing gown.

I am thinking of investing in a towelling one though. Actually, I've been thinking about it for a long time. Either I don't really need one, or I should get my finger out and get one, particularly if frequent hospital visits are to be anticipated. :hmm:
Well you know its just lush to have extreme fluffiness against one's naked body....let alone going to hospital.....this should also go on RubyToogood 's ' Treating yourself ' thread...

I have ALWAYS wanted an old fashioned woolen check patterned one with a multicoloured cord.
I don't even know if they make them anymore?
My parents have them. Made by Foxford woollen mills. They are 60yrs old (the dressing gowns)

I searched online for similar but I dont want second hand in this...

At the moment I have a whitw towelling one for after bath or shower.
A light cotton one for Summer.
A pink fluffy thing for winter.

But ideally I would love an old fashioned woolen one with big pockets, braiding and a cord belt .

Like this...8943abfef6994be2a49e057042f7469d--smoking-jacket-s.jpg
Sigh....

Last edited:
scifisam thread needs a poll!

I have 2 which seems to be the standard response , a long thin one for summer & a fluffy one with a hood for colder times. Not worn the summer one this year yet, wear the winter one often.

My partner is a strong no on PJs, slippers & dressing gowns.

Unusual to own one? Unusual to own JUST one perhaps!

I have a fleece one made from recycled plastic bottles which is ridiculously warm and I only use it during the depths of winter (the cats love it though, and have it on their bed for the rest of the year - it does get washed regularly ofc!)

I have 1 which is a medium warmth white waffle weave type job - it wouldn't look out of place in a health spa (although I would :D )

I have 2 lightweight "kimono" style ones which are nice for summer.

If I lived in a colder home I would probably get another fleece type one for winter.

scifisam thread needs a poll!

I have 2 which seems to be the standard response , a long thin one for summer & a fluffy one with a hood for colder times. Not worn the summer one this year yet, wear the winter one often.

My partner is a strong no on PJs, slippers & dressing gowns.
I decided against a poll because urbs treat them with disrespect.

Does your partner walk around naked, or get dressed the second they wake up?

I have two. I don't like pyjamas, so they play a crucial role when getting up of a morning.

One fleecy hooded one for cold mornings and a light cotton one for when it's warm.

I'm intrigued that there's some idea out there that Brits don't use them tbh...

I have 2 but I don't really wear them because A. I don't really like the ones I have (they are not big enough and long enough, I want to be swamped) and B. I live alone in a 1 bedroom small flat and tend to favour PJs, jumper and blankets when snuggling on the sofa.
When I have lived with other people I have made more use of them.

I would love one like Sugar Kane posted :)

I have something that could be construed as one, but I don't really like it. It's a long black hoodie really. I only wear it on very cold mornings.

Also I consider a "house coat" to be the the polyester thing with poppers my nan wore when doing the house work to protect her clothes.

Aye, often floral polyester, came down to just above the knees (depending on height of the wearer mind you), poppers all the way down the front. They're overalls IMO, not the same as a dressing gown at all.

I have three.

a) lightweight "silk" one for summer
b) medium weight "towelling" type, often use this one after a hot bath.
c) fluffffy one, with a hood, usually just for winter.

OH has two, one short towelling for after showers etc and the other is a much longer, brushed pile one - for lounging around.

Aye, often floral polyester, came down to just above the knees (depending on height of the wearer mind you), poppers all the way down the front.

Yep that's the thing. :)
The only one of my nans I remember was a brown and lime green plaid, very 70's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom